Recommend me a cheap guitar?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 16760
Recommend me a cheap guitar?

I'm asking here because other forums are shit, IDMF is good, and I'm generally an idiot about stuff.

I'm basically looking for the 'best' piece of shit that sounds decent going straight into an interface in the ~$200 range, even if it's made out of gig-resistant material and ships out of China (or some other cool place). I'm just looking for something to make crappy metal songs with in guitar rig, but I don't know what the hell guitars are despite dicking around with them for 13 years.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. Thx u guise

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 144260
Thanked 2,885 Times in 1,737 Posts
Re: Recommend me a cheap guitar?

Yamaha Pacifica.

Yamaha has a no-nonsense philosophy when it come to mass-production of entry-level instruments. They try to make it so that their stuff will be the go-to recommendation for music schools etc... The same goes for flutes and shit.

Look. I'm 40 years old, played for about 25. Studied, played, teached... I've owned and played enough guitars to know whats an objectively good guitar, independently of idiosyncratic BS...

Pacificas are improved strats, design-wise. Better balance...more confortable when sitting.

I own a pac 604w, a higher-end one, but a friend had at his studio a really cheap one and I used to play it all the time when I visited him. He bought the thing for less than 200 I remeber that for sure... new, I think.

I just checked... it was a black pac 112. Cheap thing. Playable all day. Sounded fine through amp sims and stuff.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Vault O))) (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Artificer
Soundscaper
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 19010

Schecter Omen. I picked up a 7 string on ebay after talking with @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
about recording his Apocryphal Throne album and him saying he liked his and then finding one dirt cheap on fleabay ($170 shipped).

It took some cleaning up and setup, but the bones of a solid guitar are there. I like the baritone length on the 7 string and the pickups have a dark and slightly muddy tone that meshes well with some slap-yer-balls distortion and/or fuzz. I mostly got it because it was cheap and I wanted both a baritone scale and 7 string guitar. It checked all the boxes for a cheap GAS purchase.

I got it from a pawnshop in TN so I can't speak to the factory setup or what might have been changed before it got to me. The hardware is solid, comes stock with a Graph Tech XL nut (which I love). Fixed bridge with through body stringing gives a nice sustain. Frets were fine, I'll probably need to level and dress them in a couple of years as it'd obviously been played. The big complaint I see in reviews and is totally legit is the pickups are fairly 'meh', muddy in the mid-lows and the highs have a bit of bite. Considering the price of a nice set of 7 string pickups and the fact that I won't be playing it live and can fuck with the sound in post, I'll probably leave them. They're not all that bad honestly, especially considering what I'm using it for.

I own a couple of very nice guitars (PRS, Les Paul, etc) and while the Schecter doesn't really come close to those, it's a very playable guitar and sounds just like you'd want for in your face heavy stuff. If I want shimmery cleans for country or something I'd grab a different guitar, but considering the price it was a great deal for the money and I've really enjoyed playing it thusfar.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 16760

Thank you both! I'm leaning more toward thom's suggestion so far, but that's just because buying used brings out the... germophobe (?) in me. I don't know what it is, TBH.

I have until Friday and I'll post what I went with, just for fun. I'm basing my opinion solely off of IDMF replies, because it's just easier for a dumbass like myself. Thanks again to both of you

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933181
Thanked 5,500 Times in 3,477 Posts

I hate recommending cheapies but yea the Schecter's are good, nice and heavy construction. I went to guitar center today and saw a few of the newer budget Jacksons that weren't too bad. Had some nice finishes available. Epiphone's not bad either. Kinda want me a LP model again. I used to have a Stagg LP style guitar and I miss it.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Yamaha Pacifica.
I would have proposed this as well. I have 112L and it has been a reliable partner for ten - or more years already

------------------
<a href=https://slugvision.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>https://slugvision.wordpress.com/</a>
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001441
Thanked 6,680 Times in 4,181 Posts

Get the new Squier Bullet Mustang HH if it's available in the USA range.
Shit tons of bang for the buck.

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526177
Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,143 Posts

Schecter omen.

Got mine as payment for a mastering job. Can't recommend those guitars enough.

I want a 2nd.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

^^ I just checked pics...

Yeah the fixed bridge/through body one looks like a solid, proper thing.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

By the way, a decent cheap guitar can become really, really good once an experienced ninja-type guitar tech has done the finishing touches. Perfect neck relief/ intonation, fret polishing, nut filing... these things make a MASSIVE difference when done by a human being. In fact, it's part of what makes "custom shop" guitars so expensive.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Truth! I've worked w some EXCELLENT guitar techs and have picked up a thing or two. still have a long way to go tho.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
thom (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
^^ I just checked pics...

Yeah the fixed bridge/through body one looks like a solid, proper thing.

Super solid. If it had a trem system I don't think it would hold tune as well as it does. I've got 7 string strings on it minus the high E. It's scale is a tiny bit short for how low it's tuned, but I'm playing doom metal on it, the intonation is fine.

------------------
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
Artificer
Soundscaper
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

I've been doing most of my own set ups and maintenance for the better part of 25 years. It's not that difficult but it does require a lot of patience, a lot of precision, and a good understanding of what you're doing. Some quality tools help but aren't required for most things. It's the kind of thing a person could get into casually for pretty cheap if they were so inclined.

I will say that whether it's a $50 no name guitar or an $8000 classic Strat, there's a night and day difference between a good set up and bad. But I've also played very nice guitars that were poorly set up and played better than perfectly set up shitty guitars. The point is that proper set up makes a guitar play its absolute best but at some point you can't polish a turd. Sometimes hardware upgrades can do wonders, but you're back to putting 22s on a Pinto and whether it's worth dressing up mediocre quality mass produced wood. Sometimes yeah, sometimes no.

Regarding bridges, I love the through body on the Omen. It's stable all day long despite my hammering on it. I just don't wank enough to necessitate a tremolo and all the hassles that come along with them. I reckon dive bombs died with Dimebag and I'm happy to leave it there. Fixed bridge for life, yo.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Thank you both! I'm leaning more toward thom's suggestion so far, but that's just because buying used brings out the... germophobe (?) in me. I don't know what it is, TBH.
dude, Craig's list or GTFO. if you are on a tight budget like that, then it just can't be beat. there's gotta be plenty of methheads around whatever shithole, FL you're living at. low ball like a mofo and just go get that shit. wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask, if you have to. will probably help to to cut down on haggling in person too. if you're patient enough, it's unbelievable the kind of deals you can score.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #15
Artificer
Soundscaper
Southern Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
if you're patient enough, it's unbelievable the kind of deals you can score.
Wait, are we talking about meth or guitars? So confused.

As a corollary, I've had great luck on eBay by searching for what I want, then refining with Show Only > See All > Accepts best offer, then lowballing them until I find someone who bites. I get a lot of technology and tools that way from clearing houses, auction houses, whoever - people that don't really give a fuck about the thing they're selling, they just want it gone. I actually lowballed that Schecter I bought down from like $225 to $170. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you can definitely get some deals that way.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933181
Thanked 5,500 Times in 3,477 Posts

I saw a nice lefty BC Rich Mockingbird on craigslist yesterday, totally something i never thought would be up for sale.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If i had the dough I'd buy that in a second.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #17
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 109910
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,286 Posts

cheap/new or decent/used? Second option obviously. Might not be in mint condition, smell like booze and cigarettes but is totally worth budget wise. You might end up with a really good deal because some people want to sell shit asap to get some money and agree with any bullshit terms. if there are none right now, wait a bit, they appear and disappear constantly. Talking from my personal experience.
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #18
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

google "100$ electric guitar", pretty much any fake chinese guitar will do the job

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #19
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Schecter Omen. I picked up a 7 string on ebay after talking with @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
about recording his Apocryphal Throne album and him saying he liked his and then finding one dirt cheap on fleabay ($170 shipped).

It took some cleaning up and setup, but the bones of a solid guitar are there. I like the baritone length on the 7 string and the pickups have a dark and slightly muddy tone that meshes well with some slap-yer-balls distortion and/or fuzz. I mostly got it because it was cheap and I wanted both a baritone scale and 7 string guitar. It checked all the boxes for a cheap GAS purchase.

I got it from a pawnshop in TN so I can't speak to the factory setup or what might have been changed before it got to me. The hardware is solid, comes stock with a Graph Tech XL nut (which I love). Fixed bridge with through body stringing gives a nice sustain. Frets were fine, I'll probably need to level and dress them in a couple of years as it'd obviously been played. The big complaint I see in reviews and is totally legit is the pickups are fairly 'meh', muddy in the mid-lows and the highs have a bit of bite. Considering the price of a nice set of 7 string pickups and the fact that I won't be playing it live and can fuck with the sound in post, I'll probably leave them. They're not all that bad honestly, especially considering what I'm using it for.

I own a couple of very nice guitars (PRS, Les Paul, etc) and while the Schecter doesn't really come close to those, it's a very playable guitar and sounds just like you'd want for in your face heavy stuff. If I want shimmery cleans for country or something I'd grab a different guitar, but considering the price it was a great deal for the money and I've really enjoyed playing it thusfar.
Hey! I live in memphis, how about you?

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
Artificer
Soundscaper
Southern Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hey! I live in memphis, how about you?
AR, other side of the state from you. Pretty close, at least relative to guys in the EU.

Every now and again I make the trip over to envy your BBQ and juke joints. Being trapped between the sweltering thighs of TX and TN makes for good eatin'.

Just to be clear, the pawnshop I bought the guitar from was in TN, but I got it on ebay and they shipped it to me. I didn't actually go to the place and get it (though for the price I might have, because also BBQ).

Advertisements

Thanks to Artificer
mnkvolcno (02-20-2017)