can't quite get industrial vocals in Reaper
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 16-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5710
can't quite get industrial vocals in Reaper

So yeah....I've never really done a lot of work with vocals and I'm not too confident working with my own voice...it always sounds too plain. Anyway....I'm giving it a shot, trying to get some industrial-ish whisper stuff going on. After tweaking vocals for oh about 4 hours I'm still having trouble getting it right. I think I'm close but just not there yet. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. Below is a link to the track I'm currently working on...only the 2 verses so far. My fx chain is mostly eq, compression, saturation, and pitch shift. I tried the -1,-2,+1,+2 pitch-shift but can't seem to pull together to make them sound unified...it just sounds like 4 different versions of my voice talking at the same time. HEPS MEH PLEEEEZE!

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560
Re: can't quite get industrial vocals in Reaper

I don't have much experience with Reaper, but I don't think your issue is DAW specific. I'd try a very light reverb or delay across the vocal parts, as well as a compressor at the end of the chain to bring it all together (in addition or in lieu of what you already have, just whatever sounds better). I'd also play a bit with the levels of the different vocal parts. You're getting a lot of the 'main' part and less of the shifted ones to my ear. You may be able to enhance the effect through some volume manipulation.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541730
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts

I don't know a ton about industrial...but I'd probably try some light distortion and maybe even bit crushing in parallel then route all those to one bus channel and do your eq and whatnot there. You can gain stage the layers, give 'em a squeeze and send it to the 2bus as one sound. A tight, airy digital reverb on parallel as well. Or try that as a layer that gets bused and compressed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

you are on right way, just add distortion, before or after reverb by taste
if you were using fl studio id send you this patcher preset
reverbs are 60-70% wet, tremolo frequency is controlled by amplitude of dry signal (with fl peak controller) but i omitted it for clarity

Last edited by D42K732202; 17-01-2017 at 02:07 AM..

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536577
Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,256 Posts

Posting to subscribe. I'll weigh in on this later! (:

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

What Pitch-Shifter are you using? Do you have all four Pitch-Shifting instances tuned to the same key out of curiosity?

If you're struggling for Unity due to heavy Pitch-Shifting, you could band-aid it by inserting a second instance of your original recording into a different mixer channel and have it run in your sequencer (no stereo separation, processed but not pitch-shifted) alongside your pitch-shifted vocal insert to strengthen the vocal passage.

If you're still having any trouble though and you give up though, I could always try and process the dry recordings for you and see what I could sort out for you

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5710

Here is a shot of the chain i have on each vocal track. All the pitch-shifting is on the same track. The vocals in the demo I posted only have -1 and +1 activated. -2 and 2 just made things worse.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536577
Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,256 Posts

Ok, My approach to Vocals has been a little different than the terror EBM sort of pitched intervals, and here it goes...

First off, I use a combination of in the box and HW fx to do this, although one could easily replicate the process with software alone.

I tend to have parallel tracks, sometimes i'll overdub to create some difference, other times i'll copy paste just so the content is there.

My "dry" channel gets EQ and compression, the eq more or less cuts the "honky" shit out of my voice around 250-300hz and boosts the top end for more clarity and presence. The compressor is in there to control dynamics and to boost the over-all volume of the channel.

The 2nd channel gets the same compression ratio and threshold, but feeds a Vocoder with a carrier signal that is only white noise. Based on the tune/effect I am looking for i mix it in to taste.

These 2 channels get subgrouped together and fed out of the box to a rack FX unit, Ensoniq DP4 where i have a stereo pitch shifter. The left side gets shifted in one direction (im not talking semitones, i mean cents, more like synth unison than massive shifts) and the right side the other direction. This can go from subtle to wide depending on the effect i am going for. The shifted signal is pretty wet in the chain.

The DP4 can do 4 parallel effects at once, or serial or a combination of the two - its very routable and configurable.

That said, I take another instance of the subgroup (not going through the microshifting) and pitch shift it down an octave. It's usually in there about 10-20%. I dont like it to sound super darth vader so i like it subtle in there.

The whole chain in summed in the DP4 and gets a tempo synced stereo delay followed by a reverb (that comes from Ableton).

An example of this FX chain can be heard in the link below, another big part of the sound is how the vocals have been "performed" its not the FX alone.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(private link as this isn't yet released)

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote