DAPs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Sammysong's Avatar
Bat Country
Posts: 488
MC Status: 4046897
Thanks: 33
Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
DAPs

Hey all,

I've been reading up on information concerning DAPs (Digital Audio Player) and it's high-end, audiophile market.
My question is: is it worth the investment? I'm currently looking into buying a Cayin i5, but I've seen some DAPs being sold at $3.999 (Astell & Kern)

Advertisements


------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
D42K732202's Avatar
Posts: 812
MC Status: 8010
Thanks: 151
Thanked 160 Times in 130 Posts
Re: DAPs

smartphone is more than enough

Last edited by D42K732202; 01-05-2017 at 12:55 AM..

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
lolirl
Moderator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 13,335
MC Status: 744001541
Thanks: 9,980
Thanked 6,682 Times in 4,183 Posts
Re: DAPs

Not enough info for us to make an objective decision.

Is what worth the investment? You mention 2 players.
Don't worry about things outside of your consumer bracket, you are not the target audience.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
White Noise's Avatar
California
Posts: 617
MC Status: 13560
Thanks: 66
Thanked 271 Times in 203 Posts
Re: DAPs

I think as long as it has a decent menu system, enough storage, and stable software, you're set. Everything else is probably going to go into more expensive dacs and amps, but I think a lot of those players will let you connect your own portable stuff externally anyways, so you'll have room to upgrade if you feel you need it. I would start with one of the Fiio X-series if it were me, but I just use my laptop, and when I can't use my laptop, I probably shouldn't be jammin' to tunes anyways. I would do a little more research before dropping my cash on it to make sure that upgrade path is an option, but if it is, you could easily spend more on something like a portable Chord setup than you did on the original DAP.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 16,303
MC Status: 8504380
Thanks: 9,733
Thanked 6,269 Times in 4,499 Posts
Re: DAPs

I play stuff over bluetooth on my rather nice component stereo all the time. I can hardly tell the difference between that and a direct audio input. Also, what are you listening on that will take advantage of the superior (I assume) DAC on this device? A signal chain only sounds as good as its weakest link. ;p

If I had an extra $399 sitting around right now that I had to blow on something frivolous, I wouldn't blow it on an iPod for bored old dudes with too much money who want to argue about minor differences in THD ratings on DACs all day--because I'm fairly certain that is who this is marketed to, you aren't missing out on anything.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Sammysong's Avatar
Bat Country
Posts: 488
MC Status: 4046897
Thanks: 33
Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
Re: DAPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Not enough info for us to make an objective decision.

Is what worth the investment? You mention 2 players.
Don't worry about things outside of your consumer bracket, you are not the target audience.
Is it better to buy a quality DAP (FiiO, Cayin, Astell & Kern, etc) than a standard iPod?
Why do these things exist while the majority of the population will still buy an iPod, iPad, or smartphone? Or are DAPs reserved for folly artists, sound engineers, musicians, etc.

I've been listening to electronic music for 10 years, now; searching for a particular sound that I'm comfortable with (to produce) and I enjoy listening to. I've been producing my own sound for about 2 years and I recently came across DAPs and wondered if it's essential (for producing as hobby, for listening to a greater 'sound', but I don't classify myself as an 'audiophile) to have.

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Cypherclerk's Avatar
Rectilinear Filigree
Posts: 5,190
MC Status: 53740105
Thanks: 2,214
Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,616 Posts
Re: DAPs

I own a Fiio X3 2nd Gen.

I didn't buy it because it was a DAP, but because it was one of the cheapest players that could hold 256GB+ cards, and I wanted something with a decent menu system for sorting large amounts of music.

I can't tell the difference between FLAC and 320KB MP3, but playing through a DAP player does sound noticeably different than my iPhone and other MP3 players. I was really surprised to be able to hear detail on subtle things like reverbs, delays, stereo fx, and background ambience.

Maybe a DAP player is like listening through studio monitors vs a hi-fi. Flat, uncoloured, detailed.

there are a few other neat features on the Fiio such as an extremely accurate volume control. Something which has always annoyed me listening through my phone is that it's either just too loud or quiet. And being able to assign which buttons lock and which don't is really convenient, you barley have to look at the Fiio to operate it.

Last edited by Cypherclerk; 01-04-2017 at 06:28 PM..

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,151
MC Status: 6893359
Thanks: 4,334
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts
Re: DAPs

Get a cheap, portable DAC converter that does 96khz first. If that doesn't satisfy your general listening requirements, you are an audiophile. In that case, either get rich or marry up.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,151
MC Status: 6893359
Thanks: 4,334
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts
Re: DAPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherclerk View Post
I own a Fiio X3 2nd Gen.

I didn't buy it because it was a DAP, but because it was one of the cheapest players that could hold 256GB+ cards, and I wanted something with a decent menu system for sorting large amounts of music.

I can't tell the difference between FLAC and 320KB MP3, but playing through a DAP player does sound noticeably different than my iPhone and other MP3 players. I was really surprised to be able to hear detail on subtle things like reverbs, delays, stereo fx, and background ambience.

Maybe a DAP player is like listening through studio monitors vs a hi-fi. Flat, uncoloured, detailed.

there are a few other neat features on the Fiio such as an extremely accurate volume control. Something which has always annoyed me listening through my phone is that it's either just too loud or quiet. And being able to assign which buttons lock and which don't is really convenient, you barley have to look at the Fiio to operate it.
Yeah I have the Fiio e10k (headphone amp / dac) to power my studio cans and it's ridiculous how much better the signal is compared to standard outs on phones, laptops etc.

Honestly think buying an amp or dac is the way to go before splurging on high end stuff.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Cypherclerk (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,151
MC Status: 6893359
Thanks: 4,334
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts
Re: DAPs

Also surprised that there's not much latency with the e10k when working in a DAW. I was expecting to have to do a lot of sync testing to get responsive input. But it's actually not too bad out of the box.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,151
MC Status: 6893359
Thanks: 4,334
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts
Re: DAPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysong View Post
I've been listening to electronic music for 10 years, now; searching for a particular sound that I'm comfortable with (to produce) and I enjoy listening to. I've been producing my own sound for about 2 years and I recently came across DAPs and wondered if it's essential (for producing as hobby, for listening to a greater 'sound', but I don't classify myself as an 'audiophile) to have.
Even if you're just doing it for fun, I definitely think it's worth it. Particularly if you ever create or mix using headphones, or you use cans with higher impedance (over 50ohm). What I've found is that, when I mix on cans, it's much less frequent for me to playback on some speakers and hear a completely different mix.

I wouldn't say that the output from a DAC is more accurate. But the conversion process is better optimised (and probably sampled at a much higher rate)... and the drivers in your cans respond more truly to the frequency response curves on the back of their box.

What I've noticed is that at similar amplitudes the DAC/Amp output just sounds more real, or less distorted... or something like that...

Last edited by Jaded; 01-11-2017 at 04:11 PM..

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Sammysong (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Sammysong's Avatar
Bat Country
Posts: 488
MC Status: 4046897
Thanks: 33
Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
Re: DAPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Even if you're just doing it for fun, I definitely think it's worth it. Particularly if you ever create or mix using headphones, or you use cans with higher impedance (over 50ohm). What I've found is that, when I mix on cans, it's much less frequent for me to playback on some speakers and hear a completely different mix.

I wouldn't say that the output from a DAC is more accurate. But the conversion process is better optimised (and probably sampled at a much higher rate)... and the drivers in your cans respond more truly to the frequency response curves on the back of their box.

What I've noticed is that at similar amplitudes the DAC/Amp output just sounds more real, or less distorted... or something like that...
Great; thanks for your advice, knowledge and sharing your previous and current experiences with DAPs.
What do you recommend? What headphones do you use with your FiiO?

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Cypherclerk's Avatar
Rectilinear Filigree
Posts: 5,190
MC Status: 53740105
Thanks: 2,214
Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,616 Posts
Re: DAPs

Wtf my Fiio X3 2nd completely died on me. Win 10 told me the device was misbehaving and it would fix it, I accidentally hit yes and Fiio stopped reading the sdcard. Thanks for shooting my best friend in the face, Microsoft.

It freezes on just about all the system menu screens, even the factory restore option lol

*factory restore the factory restore factory restore the factory restore* it's the start of an infinitely futile loop

I've gone through all the online fixes and nothing works

Advertisements


------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.