The reality of war.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 23-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377217
The reality of war.

Humans will never stop waging war on one another until a clear, inhuman threat ultimately arises. Did I use my comma properly?

So much of our fantasy and fiction has consisted of inhuman, alien and monstrous entities threatening to wipe us out. Until such a thing is a reality we will continue to fight each other.

If we never encounter such an otherworldly threat we will ultimately create this threat ourselves. Be it A.I. most likely.

I think it's pretty neat.

Last edited by Focalized; 23-12-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018691
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,373 Posts
Re: The reality of war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post

So much of our fantasy and fiction is consisted of inhuman, alien and monstrous entities threatening to wipe us out.
Best sentence.
None of those things have ever yet manifest.
We're basically just fucking bored of our own existence.
Release the files already.
People have an easier time imagining being quickly and cleanly destroyed by an overpowering thing or being, that they have no chance of defeating or defending against.
Nobody wants to think about struggling to survive on the edge of a pitiful life for years in a concentration camp because we didn't pay enough taxes to defend our shit against another nation whose entire being is based on the continuation of their state at the expense of the individual.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Lug (24-12-2016)
Old 23-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base

Our deathly fantasies and fiction are an evolutionary anomaly of basic defense mechanisms built into our brains. We've come to a point in human history where we are safer, healthier, more productive and greatly more in control than any life form on Earth. Yet many of us still live in fear of the worst that could happen.

------------------
Old 23-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Nothing wrong with that.
WWIII is currently looking closer than it has in my lifetime.
What's your point?
It's a shame?
We're wasting our time?
Meh, people have always done that, as you suggest.
Don't do it is the answer you're looking for.
Old 23-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

What's our definition of WWIII? Is there a timetable to define a WW?

------------------
Old 23-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

Who are you? Be the you that this, that or the other who claims you could be such a thing for a payment of $49.00 a month, Or maybe be the you, that one that decided the most successful direction for the human race can progressively be reduced to just being able to work shit out, ok girl!!

------------------
Old 23-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator

OK.
Already wasted enough time on this malaise merry-go-round.
I hope you have a good Christmas.
Old 23-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Focalized
Man in the box
Space Base

I've purposely fallen off every merry-go-round i've ever been on.

Because it's funny and more interesting that not falling off of it.

------------------
Old 23-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169110
Thanked 3,382 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
I've purposely fallen off every merry-go-round i've ever been on.

Because it's funny and more interesting that not falling off of it.

In other words, you've landed on your head more times than you care to or can remember. That explains a lot.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175273790
Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote:
Humans will never stop waging war on one another until a clear, inhuman threat ultimately arises. Did I use my comma properly?

So much of our fantasy and fiction has consisted of inhuman, alien, and monstrous entities threatening to wipe us out. Until such a thing is a reality we will continue to fight each other.
That first comma is okay but I think very unnecessary. However, I've put a tiny little Oxford comma (in the quote) where I think it's important, because I will NOT fucking stand for this.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to deadmau7
A.M (23-12-2016)
Old 23-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #11
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175273790
Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote:
Our deathly fantasies and fiction are an evolutionary anomaly of basic defense mechanisms built into our brains. We've come to a point in human history where we are safer, healthier, more productive and greatly more in control than any life form on Earth. Yet many of us still live in fear of the worst that could happen.
I don't think this is right, but I think lolirl is on the right lines when he said we're bored of our own existence.

These "fantasies" are much more likely a product of the boredom. Most fiction, be it novels, TV, movies or whatever, is at its core often trying to simulate extremely human things on a scale that is larger than you would encounter in real life. Some fiction examines its characters, but a lot of it is designed so you follow the characters and feel for them, to help with the immersive experience. It can depend what type of genres or storytelling we're talking about here, but in a nutshell, these deathly fantasies are a character's challenge, and they create development of character.

I haven't watched Jaws for a long time, but as an example, people might be afraid of the sharks and it might make for a fun/scary movie about a common fear, but our friend facing his own fears about the water is what we're invested in on a human level.

I've heard a lot of people say they watch horror movies, and find it funny in these movies when people die. Probably because so many horror movies nowadays have bland characters, you don't care about them, they don't resonate with the audience as something that could be relatable to your own human existence. They die. You're very aware they're fictional. You laugh.

TL;DR - People first, all your weird garbage monsters later.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmau7 View Post
Oxford comma
This came up a couple of times recently and for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called.
It made me think of you and I loi.
Thanks to lolirl
Jaded (24-12-2016)
Old 24-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

This thread and the OP is like a game of Ennuigi.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #14
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063569

I picture myself being the main hero to destroy the alien race while having an incurable cancer, and taking an IED to the face. Only to get eaten in my sleep by millions of ants years later.
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rewir3d
A.M (24-12-2016)
Old 24-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151210
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
The reality of humans is that we are animals first. We like to think we are more but just see what we become when we are faced with mere survival.

So yes war will always be inevitable because power is at stake.

It's not impossible that we will one day, be it a thousand years from now, be entirely peaceful. Whatever that entails.

There is always hope for utopia in the very long run.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Muse-ic (24-12-2016)
Old 24-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #16
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

This universe is ~14.000.000.000 years old, we've been investigating it for some ~4000 years..

This graph shows you how much we're likely to know..

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
If you think you can't see the red mankind bit, then it's because it's correct.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #17
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

Advertisements

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote