Mastering while mixing or th final mix audio?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
Eu Santi
Regular Freak
Eu Santi will become famous soon enoughEu Santi will become famous soon enough
Madrid
MC Status: 110
Mastering while mixing or the final mix audio?

Do you prefer to master while mixing, or to master the final audio of your finished mix?

Advertisements

Eu Santi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Ghostly
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 20160
Re: Mastering while mixing or th final mix audio?

I think you're using the term 'mastering' loosely if it can be done while mixing, lol

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
Eu Santi
Regular Freak
Madrid

Maybe, but there are people who master while mixing. My first question, really, is: is better to master on the final mix audio bounced, or BEFORE of to bounce to audio the final mix?

I have had making my own stuff for twenty years now, and i have never do it correctly, i think: To mix all, bouce to audio, and working the mastering on that audio.

I always have mixed with some of the master effects "on", thinking that i Žld have more idea about the final sound, making this, while mixing, really... is a bit difficult to express all these things because english is not my idiom. But i think you understand me.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:02 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I don't think there is any problem mixing into a mastering chain provided you always check / reference the mix with it off. My last track I "mastered" right there in the original project but best rule of thumb is to bounce the mix and bring it into a new session.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Not sure about how you're managing to keep DSP limitations under control. I invariably have to bounce and/or re-sample to thin out the FX chain. For the same reason, I bounce to audio once I am done with gain staging. Sometimes, especially with hardware, I record with max gain (that is peak at or below -6dB) to keep options open ITB.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
Eu Santi
Regular Freak
Madrid

Ok, RFJ, and liquid_air, thank you very much. iŽll definitely will work bouncing audio and mastering it, the next time...
Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #7
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 60

Well, usually I partly mix everything while writing, then mix everything again and finally do very soft mastering (gentle EQ, light compression, some stereo spread maybe) , because I still lack mastering skills.
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936781
Thanked 5,572 Times in 3,517 Posts

I have a basic mastering chain going while I mix, usually just eq>compression>limiting and those settings are light and in the case of the EQ mainly just a 20hz/20khz hipass/lopass. When I'm happy with the mix I'll bypass the master buss and render out the stereo mix, checking if it's still good after rendering. Then it goes to a true mastering session where it gets properly mastered- highly detailed compression settings/multiple instances of compression/mid-side processing, saturation etc.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote