Good analog compressor that doesn't cost an arm & leg?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960
Good analog compressor that doesn't cost an arm & leg?

I think a nice smooth analog compressor would be a nice piece of hardware. Most of what I've seen raved about is just beyond reasonable price wise. Anyone got one that is under $2000 and sounds good?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960
Re: Good analog compressor that doesn't cost an arm & leg?

Joe meek?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 144260
Thanked 2,885 Times in 1,737 Posts

That's a good budget you have there.
The BSS 402. These things are serious and absolutely not about character/harmonic distortion/artifacts/vintage vibe-warmth BS...

They are effective and transparent. I used a whole rack of them at a friend's studio and on PA tech gigs. I'd get that.

As for compressors that sound "cool" to you earswhen "abusing" them... it's like distortion pedals. You mileage varies invariably.

For that money you could get two used units/ four channels for your four busses... and be one happy camper with money left over.

Last edited by thom; 10-31-2016 at 04:45 AM..
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Oh and they do sound good when abusing them.

I gather there are two schools of thinking when it comes to spending serious cash on compressors... on one hand you have gearsluttery whacks encouraging you to spend 2500 on what's essentially a glorified overdrive pedal... and then you have products that are objectively good because they are precise, predictable, problem-solving dynamic processors. The 402 is such a product. It's a good unit to get good on without quirky behavior getting in the way. They sound so clean... I'm not sure what more you'd get from SUPER EXPENSIVE stuff ike API. Another buddy once rented an API and told me that it's hard to justify spending what they sell for (he owns a drawmer and an ssl clone... and various inexpensive ones).

I'm just sayin'... I'm 100% positive the 402 will deliver whatever it is you want an excellent compressor to deliver. Just...fuckin get that.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

Can you link the 2 channels to use as stereo with one set of controls?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Of course!
Thanks to thom
jbvdb493 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

For the money, these are very good, different flavors, too.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
liquid_air (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10530151

Somebody already posted this in the DIY thread,

if you can do DIY then you can get a superb 1176 emulation for about 500 [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I'm very tempted.
Ive looked through the built instructions and it looks very easy to built (no wiring preassembles connectors) the only skill you need is to be able to solder and anybody can do that after 5 minutes practice on an old PCB.

Last edited by cane creek; 10-31-2016 at 11:22 AM..

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cane creek
liquid_air (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503530
Thanked 6,252 Times in 4,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post

For the money, these are very good, different flavors, too.
Most of them aren't analog. The RNC is really nice and clean. The RNLA is supposed to have a nice "flavor." RNC is a great choice if you must have OTB compression.

------------
I'm not going to go on a rant here--but as far as analog flavor goes, I've been down that rabbit hole and for my money U-he Satin and Presswerk have fit the bill more-so than any hardware I've ever used. But I've never been willing to spend 2k on an analog compressor.

Last edited by relic; 10-31-2016 at 07:51 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Most of them aren't analog. The RNC is really nice and clean. The RNLA is supposed to have a nice "flavor." RNC is a great choice if you must have OTB compression.

I'm not going to go on a rant here--but as far as analog flavor goes, I've been down that rabbit hole and for my money U-he Satin has fit the bill more-so than any hardware I've ever used. But I've never been willing to spend 2k on an analog compressor.

Don't take this the wrong way, but just be careful about whether you are going to get the mileage you want for your money. Obviously the only way to do that is experiment. I feel like I really got caught up in the hardware/analog dick waving contest and it was making my music worse, not better.
well.. they are analog , and they definitely sound like it (I used a couple quite a bit in a studio a few years ago) They're digitally controlled VCA's. So it's in the same way that a DCO is analog. The control signal in this case is a digital source, but it will still "sound analog". Now, it's not going to be as nuanced as a high end compressor, but they are definitely very useful and sound a world better than digital compression does in most cases (IMO). So, I guess it depends on what you're going for.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
relic (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503530
Thanked 6,252 Times in 4,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
well.. they are analog , and they definitely sound like it (I used a couple quite a bit in a studio a few years ago) They're digitally controlled VCA's. So it's in the same way that a DCO is analog. The control signal in this case is a digital source, but it will still "sound analog". Now, it's not going to be as nuanced as a high end compressor, but they are definitely very useful and sound a world better than digital compression does in most cases (IMO). So, I guess it depends on what you're going for.
Ah.OK. I heard there "weren't analog" on gearslutz so go figure eh? thanks for the correction.

Regardless, I think they sound amazing for the price! If someone "needed" a bunch of inexpensive, usable compressors for a studio. I'd recommend these all day.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Somebody already posted this in the DIY thread,

if you can do DIY then you can get a superb 1176 emulation for about 500 [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I'm very tempted.
Ive looked through the built instructions and it looks very easy to built (no wiring preassembles connectors) the only skill you need is to be able to solder and anybody can do that after 5 minutes practice on an old PCB.
Yeah, but then you need some $500 worth of tools to put the thing together. And not fuck it up.

------------------

Old 11-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Yeah, but then you need some $500 worth of tools to put the thing together. And not fuck it up.
So that makes $1000, which is below the thread starters "Under $2000" budget

------------------
Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
st3aLth
Sample Destroyer
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2260

Please, attach photos
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Your budget calculations do not seem to sufficiently weigh the "and not fuck it up" part.

That said, would it be worth $1000?

------------------

Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15828

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
relic (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
Middlesbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Your budget calculations do not seem to sufficiently weigh the "and not fuck it up" part.

That said, would it be worth $1000?
Have you looked at the build documents , theres nothing to fuck up.

I seen far far more complicated lego sets

------------------
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #18
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

The ART Pro VLA II is not so bad and reasonably priced.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #19
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Too late. I won. He's getting a 402 because I am right.

Yes ART stuff is quite ok but the BSS stuff is a couple of notches above anything aimed at the prosumer market. For instance, I heard the long-time the chief engineer for the MSO (the dude who handles tv/radio broadcast performances anyway) swears by them. If they can handle the massively huge dynamic ranges of a string section in a large orchestra and sound crystal clean with no coloration throughout... yeah you can bet they are good.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #20
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

I just saw that Waves has an emulation... my first thought was "what's the point of emulating something so transparent?" ... and then I watched a vid with some top pro talking about the 402 and he clearly has a different opinion about them. "They really fuck things up in nice ways..."

WHut

We agree on one thing: they sound great.

Advertisements