Gut check: A&H MixWizard
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 27-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47510
Gut check: A&H MixWizard

I'm thinking about getting a proper mixer.

I am leaning towards the MixWizard, but I'm not sure it'll do all I need. I have 4 stereo sources and two mono synths that need to go in. I'd like to also have the ability to include send FX to three stereo pedals, preferably in a flexible manner (routing through them individually or in a sequence of my choice w/o rewiring).

Not dead set on this brand or unit, so input is welcome. I'd like to retain room for two more stereo sources, but that isn't a deal breaker.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1528777
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,172 Posts
Re: Gut check: A&H MixWizard

do love a mixwiz.

if you set up your aux sends to the pedals in stereo and then have them return to stereo channels rather than the FX returns you can do some interesting matrix style FX routing, if you put the aux sends in pre-fader mode you can go through the effects in serial, with the fader down vs parallel by having a separate aux return mixed with the channel dry. best of both worlds.

The only thing i find missing w the mixwiz are subgroups, although @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
mentioned that you can find them in different configurations.

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 150260
Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,807 Posts

Yeah.

A 14:4:2 is cool. Everyone loves one of these.

thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (27-10-2016)
Old 27-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

That's the one!

Sweet.

------------------
Old 27-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015591
Thanked 6,963 Times in 4,342 Posts

Thumb.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

So, what is the difference between the WZ4 14:4:2 thom highlighted and the 16:2 I was leaning towards? All I care about is the ability to hook up all my gear (10-12 lines) and have flexibility to send signal through several pedals/FX channels without needing to rewire. The 14:4:2 has only 10 line inputs, if I got that right.

------------------

Old 28-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 22960

Biggest difference I can tell is 2 sets of stereo channels and the 4 bus on the 14 vice 16 with no stereo channel and no bus

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

The subgroups make great ways of getting multiple channels to your interface in one pass.

------------------
Old 29-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Yeah that... and routing audio to inputs of other instruments... feeding multiple amps/rooms... also you have insert points on the groups so you can do all that parallel processing madness etc...

It's just a faaar more flexible console. I would definitely try to find one over a 16:2.
Old 29-10-2016, 02:19 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Thanks guys. Ordered. Should arrive in a week or two.

That is the 14:4:2

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
thom (29-10-2016)
Old 29-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

I mean you have an OTrack right? I would want busses.

But then again you could use sends for resampling/tracking... or the channels' direct outs.

And yeah I read that you can configure sends internally with jumpers to set how they behave (ie pre or post fader). Badass.

Uuuhh I might have read that in the manual of my own console, Im just realizing now.
Old 29-10-2016, 02:24 AM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Thanks guys. Ordered. Should arrive in a week or two.

That is the 14:4:2

Fuck yeah. Glad you chose that one.

For something considerably better, you'd have to shell out a whole lot more and get a Midas.

I'm curious... how much moneys? If you don't mind me asking?
Old 29-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

It'll be fine. I can also use the MOTU 828x to route some inputs. Gotta think this through.

Gotta go buy another table.

------------------

Old 03-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I'm assuming the wiring is intuitive...

then I read the manual and had this thought: huh?

This clearly is a rather technical manual.

------------------

Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 AM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Fuck yeah. Glad you chose that one.

For something considerably better, you'd have to shell out a whole lot more and get a Midas.

I'm curious... how much moneys? If you don't mind me asking?
$1300

Now, as I am looking at it, I'm not entirely sure about the wiring. The manual isn't that informative.

How do I set up those aux sends?

I gotta find me some setup guide.

------------------

Old 03-11-2016, 03:46 AM   #16
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Wow that's more money than I thought.

Anyway... in the output section on the back, patch a cord from aux 1 to a delay unit with the wet level at 100%, then from the delay to either one of the returns or, preferably, a channel input. From there you can eq your wet signal and feed it back to the delay box. Above your group faders are the send levels. Crank aux 1 to about 7 or so. Now you can feed some signal from any of your channels to the delay. Set your delay to a single repeat and feed the unit's signal back to itslef to create the feedback. Eq'ing a delay or reverb and feeding it back to the unit is a looot of fun. Cross feeding effects too..
Thanks to thom
liquid_air (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 AM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Yeah, but I do need to do a better job at gain staging (lolirl was kind enough to suggest that). I also want to set up OTB New York compression with that BSS DPR-402 for my kick.
How do you handle stereo signals for those send effects? I'm assuming the way to feed stereo signals is to use two mono channels.

------------------

Old 03-11-2016, 04:39 AM   #18
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Yeah and you'll have to use two sends, otherwise your two channels will be summed to mono.

Good job choosing the BSS. By the way.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #19
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

dammmn... you are going to have a sweet set up!!

i'm super jelly

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #20
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I think the user manual has to be my top pick for most inaccessible and useless manual ever. Maybe this is catering to the expert crowd that has need for the details of minutiae of specs. I had to read, ponder, and deduce how the signal flow might be organized.

Please kindly tell me if I got that right:

10 mono inputs will take a mono synth input via TS cable
The pad button needs to be pressed to use TS input
Two stereo tracks will take L and R TS inputs
Combining two mono tracks to take L and R input will require hard pan on that channel
AUX sends channel 1-6 route signal to the 4+2 matrix
There are two groups of outputs: AUX and Group
In monitor mode, signal is sent to all 12 TS outputs with AUX lines as main out

So, here is the setup that I am thinking about:
The AUX lines can be used for multi track recording, feeding them into the MOTU 828 lines 3-8
Main L + R to lines 828 lines 1 + 2
Matrix A and B could be used as FX chain send Timeline --> Big Sky --> Mobius --> input 9+10
(Seems I can either use the Aux lines as busses for mixing or as an FX send matrix, but not both)

Inputs:
Stereo 1+2: Analog Four, aux bus 1
Stereo 3+4: Octatrack, aux bus 2
Input 1+2: Rytm, main
Input 3+4: Tempest, main
Input 5: Avalon, aux bus 3
Input 6:TB-03, aux bus 3
Input 7:Volca FM, aux bus 1
Input 8: Kick sidechain BSS 402, main
Input 9+10: FX chain return, main

The mix matrix A/B would then be my send FX, but it'd require me to have a single chain with all FX pedals in sequence.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited by liquid_air; 05-11-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Advertisements

------------------