Time to get a mixer, any recommendations (as cheap as possible)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210
Time to get a mixer, any recommendations (as cheap as possible)

Hi guys and gals, I'm starting to accumulate synths and I'd like to go out and play live too.

I'm very happy with my Komplete 6, but I need more inputs, I want to do stereo stuff. So I was thinking about getting a mixer, something to plug all my stuff in, then stereo into my audio interface.

Since this thing actually won't "make" music, I don't feel like spending tons, for now, maybe I'll change my mind later (most likely), but for now I need practical, and as cheap as possible (gotta get those synths, this is where my money goes)

BUT, all I ask is a piece of gear that won't actually "hurt" the sound, something fairly transparent, sound wise, I don't really care about anything else.

I know NOTHING about mixers, nothing at all, there seem to be affordable options, I'd need about 4 or 5 stereo inputs (jack), maybe the ability to insert effects, why not.

Used, new, I don't care, the thing I care about the most is that the sound quality is preserved as much as possible.

So would there be any recommendations? Considering the fact that, later down the road, I'll probably shell out enough to get something actually musically interesting and good.

Brands to go for? brands to avoid, least amount to be spent, most amount to be spent?

What is your advice here?

thank you

Advertisements

Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47510
Re: Time to get a mixer, any recommendations (as cheap as possible)

Might help to know a bit more about your setup as well as your budget (and near term expansion plans).

I'm at a stage now where I consider a mixer to be needed (8 synths in all, 4 FX pedals). I've started to look a Allen & Heath and Midas. Can't say that's as cheap as possible, but you might be compromising on the wrong end. My sense is that you might be better off with a decent mixer as opposed to a cheapo one.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute

got 7 synths right now, a few effects, some stereo, some mono

if it could stay below 500€ it would be awesome

I've heard of mackie 1604 I think, something like that, the price seems nice used or new

it's more like a cheap fix for a few months, before I put together some money and get a more permanent option.

But I am recording some things that will be on an LP, so I can't compromise on sound, the komplete 6 is enough for now, sound quality wise, I'd like something that makes it so I'm not using anything. not sure if that makes any sense.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

If you're set up to record now, why not simply run multiple takes and record that way? Then wait until you can get the mixer you really want. Might renting one for your LP project be an option?

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Emmanuel G. (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
Emmanuel G.
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
If you're set up to record now, why not simply run multiple takes and record that way? Then wait until you can get the mixer you really want. Might renting one for your LP project be an option?
rental isn't really an option where I live, unfortunately.

things begin to become more and more complicated as I add more synths, when I record I like to be in "the zone", and constantly switching between cables and synths kinda kills the inspiration sometimes. I'd like the workflow to remain... flowing.

also, I never really got into playing electronic music live, but I want to, so I thought it could also help with the live setup, as there won't be any option to switch synths while playing.
Old 13-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

Dont buy cheap if you are going to gig w the mixer...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (13-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1528777
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel G. View Post
got 7 synths right now, a few effects, some stereo, some mono

if it could stay below 500 it would be awesome

I've heard of mackie 1604 I think, something like that, the price seems nice used or new

it's more like a cheap fix for a few months, before I put together some money and get a more permanent option.

But I am recording some things that will be on an LP, so I can't compromise on sound, the komplete 6 is enough for now, sound quality wise, I'd like something that makes it so I'm not using anything. not sure if that makes any sense.

1604 is a good choice, it's not like, audiophile hi fi, but they're tanks and workhorses.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Emmanuel G.
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
1604 is a good choice, it's not like, audiophile hi fi, but they're tanks and workhorses.
thanks, the more I look into it, the more I think this is the right choice for now, something I can keep and that will remain useful every now and again, even after upgrading.
Old 13-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Agreed. Built like a tank too.

I spilled a Guinness into one.

After a good cleaning it was still 100%

------------------
Old 13-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 150260
Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,807 Posts

I`d hunt for a used A&H MixWizard.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
chasedobson (13-10-2016)
Old 13-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #11
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

That too @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, I wish they made at 16x4bus MixWhiz

------------------
Old 14-10-2016, 01:27 AM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 150260
Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,807 Posts

There are quite a few versions out there...

One cool thing about them is that you can open them up and change the pre-post fader settings of the sends with jumpers. Never did it myself but I did read that in the manual when my friend bought his.

They're very good consoles. Decent preamps (they distort rather nicely to my ears when cranked), six sends, very very usable eq. Highly serviceable. Quality connectors and faders/knobs. I'd definitely choose that over any Mackie, which are still respectable lil bastards through which countless techno records were mixed.. The pres do not distort nicely. Nasty crackle.

Last edited by thom; 14-10-2016 at 01:40 AM..
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
relic (14-10-2016)
Old 19-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Price to quality ratio I prefer soundcraft, or Allen and Heath. Mackie's are just ok in my opinion. Their eq's aren't as good. My experience is with that one with a built in FireWire audio interface. Soundcraft eq's sounds much better to me.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #14
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531001

I use a secondhand Yamaha MG12/4 off a car-boot sale.
Its EQ is totally crap, but the mixer certainly serves its purpose for 20.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cane creek
Emmanuel G. (31-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #15
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Yamaha and Mackie are among the best mixers we've been using so far.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to BlindfoldKnobs
Emmanuel G. (09-11-2016)
Old 18-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #16
Emmanuel G.
Microknight

any feedback on CR1604 maybe? I read nice things about it here and there
Old 18-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Older, a little noisy if its not been maintained, but will do the trick. 16 channels and good to go.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Emmanuel G. (14-12-2016)
Old 14-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #18
Emmanuel G.
Microknight

So I got the opportunity to get a Mackie SR24-4VLZ today. got it and set it up.

I need to familiarize myself with the thing but so far I've been jamming (without the computer ) and it's been pretty cool
Thanks to Emmanuel G.
relic (20-01-2017)
Old 14-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #19
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

fwiw... I really like my Allen&Heath MixWizard 14:4:2.

As cheap as possible is a matter of perspective, I suppose.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Emmanuel G. (15-12-2016)
Old 15-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Emmanuel G.
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
fwiw... I really like my Allen&Heath MixWizard 14:4:2.

As cheap as possible is a matter of perspective, I suppose.
it is. "cheap" may not have the same meaning for me than for a 21yo college kid. Even tho it did mean I had to get something used rather than brand new.

got the mackie for a little under 400 in pretty good condition, and it came with a very good flight case.

I guess I first wanted to get something to mix my synth, but right now with 24 tracks, I can set everything up together, including all the soundcard outs to the mixer, work with busses, and everything. I'm actually using 22 tracks (a good half being drum elements) on the 24, so it's pretty good

So I'm set for quite some time right now, when I'll change, it will be for something much better, higher end and I'll probably spend a few thousands to get me something that'll last for the next 10 years.

at least I won't have to think about it for quite some time anymore, which is good.

Advertisements

Thanks to Emmanuel G.
relic (20-01-2017)