Creative Methods of Making Pads/Sustaining Samples
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
Joe Oso Dopke
Analog Lurker
Joe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MCJoe Oso Dopke is a savage MC
Detroit
MC Status: 11195
Creative Methods of Making Pads/Sustaining Samples

Wondering if anyone has any cool, creative methods on taking a sample & sustaining it/crafting a pad out of it?
My two go-to methods are sending the sound through the Ableton Reverb, 100% wet, hitting "freeze", and resampling this; also, using a max4live plugin "granular freeze" (or something like that), I do the same process. The former method adds an airiness to the sample which can be nice if the original lacks top end, whereas the latter affords me a fuller bodied timbre.
With processing & multiple instances of the sound being "frozen, I find I can make lush sounds.

Advertisements

------------------
"A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one." - Dimitri Shostakovich
Joe Oso Dopke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Objekt
Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17510
Re: Creative Methods of Making Pads/Sustaining Samples

paul stretch or harmour
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1510

I have used paul stretch myself a few times since coming across it earlier in the year.

I've done a search on here for Adaptiverb, to see if anyone else has discussed this tool. It appears it hasn't been mentioned here at all.

It sounds like it should be a reverb, and you can, of course, use it as such, but it is great for developing long sustained pad sounds.

I'm not sure how I would use it with a short sample. It does have a FREEZE switch, and will take a section of the incoming sound and freeze it forever. In fact, you are supposed to be able to save your FREEZE, or drone presets for later use.

I prefer to send sequences into Adaptiverb, which when set to 100% wet pretty much flattens out the sequence entirely and you end up with quite a lush sustained pad.

If you then automate parameters such as cut off frequency and resonance in your sequence patch you end up with quite a complex and forever changing and sustained drone.

Like I said, though... Not entirely sure about a sample. I think I would probably create a loop from said pad and stretch it out for the required duration while routing through Adaptiverb.

One word of warning... Adaptiverb required iLok to register. That initially put me off, but I went for it anyway and all has been fine. You do not need the hardware dongle...

Oh... I would post links, but I don't think I am allowed to yet.

cheers

andy
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
ClariS_
Learning The Ropes
ClariS_ will become famous soon enough
Ann Arbor
MC Status: 60

If you google "How to Create Organic Ambient Instruments in Ableton Live" you'll find a pretty nice article. That technique can be used in pretty much any DAW with a decent sampler, I just do it in Kontakt. I've used it a few times and I'm always happy with the results.
ClariS_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ClariS_
Automageddon (29-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27310

Recording just a reverb send (particularly Convolution Pro) with a weird IR can make for interesting results, depending on what your source audio is. Leaving gaps between the loop or throwing multiple (even random) samples through said send in realtime can also fuck up the process, but in a desirable way.

Granulating and re-granulating clouds will always be my favorite thing to do, especially in times when Live's sampler's crossfade smears it into a seamless loop. I like to keep a cache of granular clouds handy for more mangling, and often times forget where the original source even came from.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Sticking uncorrelated sounds like ambience takes and noise into a phase vocoder is a good one.if you use a long enough FFT size,it'' eventually start turning all those little barely tonal transients into a blur of tonal watery shizz.also sticking a reverb before the phase vocoding or rendering with reverb prior to putting in the phase vocoder will help it get tonal quicker due to the modes in the reverb model being fedback and stretched over time.render out again,stick in sampler,reverse,pitch around,etc etc etc

Advertisements

TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote