Getting that Kavinsky/Justice tom sound..
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 460
Getting that Kavinsky/Justice tom sound..

Hi guys,

To start off, I'd like to say that I'm pretty happy with how much I've learned over the past two years thanks to you guys and just working at it. One thing that I am extremely dissatisfied is how I process, and even select samples for toms. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the sounds in kits I've made, but I can NEVER seem to get the tom sounds right. They always sound too boomy, yet weak at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I'm generally aiming for that fat, yet snappy Kavinsky/Justice-y sound. Do any of you music geniosos have any tips or tricks on where to start with getting toms to sound the way you want?
Thanks!

References

Around the 1:02 mark

Around 0:14

Advertisements

------------------
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936781
Thanked 5,572 Times in 3,517 Posts
Re: Getting that Kavinsky/Justice tom sound..

Those sound pretty natural to me. A bit of room mic and some mids being cut there probably. Pan them wide.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 17060

I have seen in interviews these guys seem to use analog, but if you wanted to sample it or make a digital version I'd say aim for kits like the 707, drumtraks, or the dmx. The toms in those kits might be close to what you are looking for.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California

Thanks for the tips. Any knowledge on good habits when processing them? Managing envelopes or compression ideas?

------------------
Old 09-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts

707, Linn Drum, Drumtrax samples as mentioned above.

here is my approach for the mix/processing:

eq: boost the "body" and "attack" frequencies after tuning your tom to taste.

compression: 3:1 or so, fast attack. I prefer to set the threshold such that i get about 2.5-4db of compression. boost the output gain to taste.

room reverb on a send for all of the tom channels, i often send a little bit of the kick and a lot of my snare to it.

Bus all of those channels together (with the reverb return) and "glue" them together with a subtle compressor.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16760

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
707, Linn Drum, Drumtrax samples as mentioned above.

here is my approach for the mix/processing:

eq: boost the "body" and "attack" frequencies after tuning your tom to taste.

compression: 3:1 or so, fast attack. I prefer to set the threshold such that i get about 2.5-4db of compression. boost the output gain to taste.

room reverb on a send for all of the tom channels, i often send a little bit of the kick and a lot of my snare to it.

Bus all of those channels together (with the reverb return) and "glue" them together with a subtle compressor.
tone boosters ferox compressor shaacked audio transient shaper done.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
San Jose, California

Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully I'll get it down.

------------------
Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
tone boosters ferox compressor shaacked audio transient shaper done.

is this english?

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Numerical (09-12-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16760

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
is this english?
yes
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

then some plate verb possibly to id say
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

of one could use what comes with his or her daw.

:shrug:

------------------
Old 10-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #11
eightythrilla
Learning The Ropes
eightythrilla is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Nice tips
eightythrilla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

highpassed kick with short reverb, nothing special special probably slight bitcrushing was applied

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

I think i made a very arrogant statement about them just being "brutalized DMX,Linn and Drumtrax drums" years ago,but in retrospect,i was very wrong and it is way way way more involved than that.i spoke to someone who knew SebastiAn personally about a year ago and he pretty much confirmed that despite what people think,they don't use nearly as much compression as people have been saying they do and upon a re-review of their stuff i can kind of hear it.a lot of what sounds like compression is a lot of intricate envelope manipulation as all SebastiAn uses (and Oizo for a period of time) is a sampler and a tonne of vinyl (and Logic but only has a kind of multitrack tape machine).i think there was a mention of a guitar amp too but that seems pretty obvious listening to the tone of the distortion in their stuff,lot of room takes and rectifier fuzz

About the drums,it's just very intricate layering and envelope manipulation,the kind of thing you'd most likely need a Wave Editor for,or a sampler.it's probably a lot less tedious to do it in a sampler,as Wave Editors can be a bit analytical and take you out of the moment so to speak and most DAW's are pretty lacking in the facilities that even free Wave Editors like Wavosaur provide for example

Advertisements

TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote