Universal audio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42410
Universal audio

I was wondering if anyone here uses UAD hardware (UAD satellite or Apollo) and whether you think the DSP capabilities are worth it to you. I am asking as I have come to appreciate the DSP capabilities of my MOTU and something like the UAD-2 Octo seems pricey, but potentially very, very capable.

The plugs seem to be rated very high and some of them I know to be of really good quality.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10530151
Re: Universal audio

My problem with UAD is when i buy premium hardware i like to think in 20 years time i can still use it but thats not the case with UAD.

I started with UAD over 10 years ago, i bought 3 x UAD-1 cards and plenty of plugins which i thought was great.

Then one day Universal audio announced they would no longer support then UAD-1.

So i had 1200 worth of cards that overnight lost value and within a short period of time became useless.

I actually ended up giving my 3 cards away to friends, then i went out and bought a UAD-2 Quad for 1200 just so i could run the plugins i already had, no gain just a wallet emptier.

One day my UAD-2 stopped working, so all my projects grinded to a hault, it was then i realised how much i had started depending on this system.

Anyway UA replaced my broken card with a new one, however that won't happen again as now my warranty has run out.

So now i have decided to keep using my UAD-2 and plugins for as long as possible but not to buy any new plugins, then the day they announce UAD-3 and give up support for UAD-2 i'll just wash my hands of UA and put it all down to a bad learning curve.

Don't get me wrong the plugins are great but i don't like the idea of how much money you can put into it for UA to just pull the plug when they feel like it.

I know you are asking about Apollo but its the same thing, sometime in the future you'll have this expensive sound card that works perfectly well but you won't be able to use it because UA will of given up support.

So as long as your prepared for that, then yes they are superb sound cards and plugins.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42410

I see. That doesn't sound good. I think I'll continue to build hardware capabilities. The one thing I liked was the idea of reducing the drain on CPU power. There is other ways around that. Thanks that was very helpful!

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10530151

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I see. That doesn't sound good. I think I'll continue to build hardware capabilities. The one thing I liked was the idea of reducing the drain on CPU power. There is other ways around that. Thanks that was very helpful!
The otherside of the coin is there are thousands of users Outhere who will swear by UAD.

However the UAD plugins are not better than native plugins they are on par, this is proven by a lot of native plugins now available on the UAD platform.
Lets face it UAD plugins are made on a computer before they are ported over to the card format, so anything on UAD can be made native.

and yes reducing the drain on CPU power is good, But you can buy a powerful PC for less than a UAD Quad card which i find rather odd, with todays powerful computers i think the card is a glorified dongle.

Again these are all my personal views after 10 years of using UAD, but there plenty of fanboys outhere who would happily put me in my place.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15828

I agree with Cane about 98% but im perfectly happy with my uad system.

My experience is slightly different though as I took advantage of UA's time limited trade in offer when uad-1 support ended and got my first uad-2 cheap with a few extra plugins thrown in. I also fell lucky with a promotion and got a quad for 560 and again got another selection of nice plugins for free too. So I'm in way less than Cane is which is a bit shit really as he was a way bigger customer than I am and should have been looked after better.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740305
Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,618 Posts

Now's the time to buy an Quad or an Octo. They've slashed about 400 off the Octo until the end of the month. Really wish I could afford one right now!

Advertisements

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote