Reggae Chords?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
bIOtAPEstry
Microknight
bIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to allbIOtAPEstry is a name known to all
Sydney
MC Status: 610
Reggae Chords?

What Vst are you dubbers using for your offbeat reggae chords?

Advertisements

------------------
Please like my Facebook page!!
https://www.facebook.com/nomadicjurassic
bIOtAPEstry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508230
Thanked 6,346 Times in 4,551 Posts
Re: Reggae Chords?

Anything with a creamy/juicy filter, really. I think its more about the delay one uses. The Reggae feel is more about what chords and as you pointed out, that they are played rhythmically within the genre conventions.

That said, I use a lot of organs from Kontakt.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80987230
Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts

the only vsts I've used recently are from mda. their "dubdelay" is rather versatile
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
professurreal (08-24-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
skunkhaze
Radial Developer
skunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4098

i use just piano or guitar

------------------
skunkhaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #5
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

They're mostly major and minor, nothing too complex. The tricky part is figuring out the inversions guitars play the chords in, however. You'll want a really staccato attack with a bit of reverb. It's hard to make what's "nothing" for actual guitars sound like what's "something" to everyone else trying to stimulate them. But you'll be able to tell if you got it right; it'll sound too dry otherwise.

How I know this stuff? I was a sax player in a first wave Ska reggae band.

Last edited by jimmusician; 08-27-2016 at 01:38 AM..
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Whatever piano VST or sample work really. Just treat the envelope properly and EQ (often a boosted peak somewhere in the midrange, where depends on what kind of off beat reggae chord you want). Then whatever reverb for the genre in question.

Its classic to layer guitar and piano together but you can layer trumpets, sax etc on top as well and you can also have the piano or guitar on its own.

For guitar you can use VST but its much easier with recording your own.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania
MC Status: 260

Serum does a pretty good job for the reggae i use in my dubstep songs

soundcloud.com/djfablebr

Advertisements

djfablebr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote