Hard Clipping Effect
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210
Hard Clipping Effect

So i have a feeling their might be an obvious solution to this but I've been unable to find any help online.

So occasionally I'll accidentally turn a sound above 0db so that it hard clips. I love the effect that it has on the sound. Especially on snares.

How can I reproduce this sound while keeping the volume below 0db?

Thanks i advance

Advertisements

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
YoSoyPincho
Analog Lurker
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1010
Re: Hard Clipping Effect

Mhhh, i don't know if this will work but try this:

when getting the desired effect above the 0dB peak meter, load the plug-in EDISON and use the record button to capture whatever you are currently playing. The EDISON will get the actual sound with all of the post processing effects (including clipping). Once you've got this, stop recording and drag it to the step sequencer or playlist and there you have it, now you can play around with its independent level amount and control it as any other audio file of yours.

I hope it works, let me know.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16760

use a clipper
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSoyPincho View Post
Mhhh, i don't know if this will work but try this:

when getting the desired effect above the 0dB peak meter, load the plug-in EDISON and use the record button to capture whatever you are currently playing. The EDISON will get the actual sound with all of the post processing effects (including clipping). Once you've got this, stop recording and drag it to the step sequencer or playlist and there you have it, now you can play around with its independent level amount and control it as any other audio file of yours.

I hope it works, let me know.

So this is the first thing I tried. Surprisingly the effect disappears when you bring the volume down afterwards and sounds exactly like the original sample.

Last edited by MothSound; 08-09-2016 at 01:16 PM..

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8910

This is a pretty interesting question. I remembered a buddy of mine doing something like this years ago but on a console, though I'm sure the concept remains the same.

You'll need two free mixer tracks. We'll call these tracks "Track A" and "Track B".
First, route your signal source to Track A.
Then, route the signal from Track A to Track B only, making sure it's not going to the master channel. You'll also want to keep an eye on the send volume level amount.
On Track A, keep increasing the volume until it goes above 0dB. You can increase volume with the actual mixer fader or you can use plugins with volume controls to help you.
Once you've achieved the sound you want, decrease the send volume level until the volume level in Track B at a level that you think it's safe or to your liking.
Now, you've literally achieved the hard clipping effect with Track A and you can control the volume of the signal using Track B.

I think that should be it. I'm sure there are other means of doing like by using distortion plugins. FL Studio has a pretty weird distortion plugin called "Fruity Waveshaper" which is weird but it's pretty cool, though I can't figure out how to use it, LOL. Still, this is a simple and raw way to do it. Hope it helps!

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8910

Nevermind, ignore my previous post. I just tried this out just now on FL. It didn't work. Guess the concept isn't the same on console as it is on DAW

I guess, your only other option is to use distortion plugins. I mentioned Fruity Waveshaper, which is cool though I still don't understand it. Image-Line did release a tutorial about it, you should check it out.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
YoSoyPincho
Analog Lurker
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
So this is the first thing I tried. Surprisingly the effect disappears when you bring the volume down afterwards and sounds exactly like the original sample.
Well, shiet.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 14660

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
What recording settings are you using in edison? You need to make sure the bit depth is as low as possible. 24 and 32-bit audio won't clip at 0 db, only 16-bit will, so if you record in higher bit depths, you'll lose the distortion when you go back down.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936081
Thanked 5,558 Times in 3,509 Posts

When you've got the snare over 0dB, solo it and render it to a new track as is. Then you can use the new track as desired with the clipped sound and still be below zero.

Or use GClip as an insert.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

clip that shit!
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8498

Why not brick wall the desired sound with rough rider? You can easily turn it into an overdrive.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote