Plugins on the master bus?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610
Plugins on the master bus?

From things I read/heard, I have always left my mix buss pure as the driven snow and completely free from plugins. I have recently been experimenting with having a few plugins on there working very subtly to glue and enhance the mix, and I just wanted to know what you experienced and talented people thought about the subject?

FYI, I currently have a levelling/saturation plug, a couple of compressors working very gently (2:1 ratio, slow attack, quick release), an EQ to add colour, and a more surgical EQ to remove problem frequencies.

Advertisements

NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
plsnp
Regular Freak
plsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura about
Amsterdam
MC Status: 210
Re: Plugins on the mix buss

i never use fx on master, its too complicated, it affects too much, why not keep the master clean maybe a limiter or very subtle compression but that's it. if you want to change stuff, change it in their busses -> low -> bass etc.

maybe group stuff and use fx on that?
plsnp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to plsnp
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 570801
Re: Plugins on the mix buss

For a looong time I religiously avoided applying any processing on my master bus (unless i'd be rendering a master mixdown) .

Now on any tune i'd put these in the following order

- stereo processing plugin - for a bit of widening and most importantly mono-ing the low end
- compressor to mix with through
- limiter - if i want to refference good sounding tracks in the particular genre. I will pull down the threshold a couple of dB, to get some gain reduction, and thus make my track louder in an easy way.

A compressor on the mixbus helps to gel things together, opens up the mix. Nothing too extereme, though.

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to slugware
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644018
Thanked 4,895 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: Plugins on the master bus?

Yeah I compress, EQ, and saturate the master usually pretty early on just because I know it'll make it sound better. Honestly though this is just for fun. When I get to serious mixing I deactivate them and then when I turn them back on it usually sounds even better after a few tweaks. Gotta be careful mixing into a compressor though and frequently cross reference with it off.

Edit: The other thing though is if I'm going to low cut every channel below 70hz I might as well just do it in one swoop on the master and save the time.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

EQ after the mix is completely done is quite alright, and you have to limit anytime you boost.
So yeah, it's really not a problem. But I track (record) with those plugins off to avoid the latency.
With enough practice, anything is possible. But yeah, there's more control to use plugins on individual tracks and in groups.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933181
Thanked 5,500 Times in 3,477 Posts

I mix into pretty much the same mastering chain I use when i actually go to master any given track, albeit slightly tailored to the track I'm working on. With the processing power my current PC has, I can just hear it in a near-finished form before I actually master something. No reason not too imo. I mean, unless you don't plan on mastering it. I don't slap thirty limiter plugins onto a mix and slam the compression into the wall, mind you. And I always use a separate mastering session for every mix when it's completed.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6860

Right or wrong, I personally like to apply gentle RMS before the limiter. I feel that it glues my buses, routings, chains and returns together nicely, although I may be doing more harm than good without realizing it.

As for traditional mastering, I'm under the impression that this is a gigantic undertaking for the artist, so I don't even bother. I'd rather save up the cash and send it to a real ME at that point in time. Even an amateur ME would have the subjectivity and gear that I lack, but that's a separate topic altogether.

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
NChil10 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:02 AM   #8
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8760

I've some people in favour of it and some aggressively against it.

I used to never do it but I've started getting into lately and it does improve my tracks a lot. However, it is a double-edged sword, if you're doing it blindly or if you overdo it, it can ruin the mix. If done tastefully, it can really enhance your tracks. You really have to know what you want to achieve with it, I think.

I prefer adding plugins to the mix buss at the very end of the mixing process. Once everything else sounds right, processing the mix buss allow me to give it a bit more polish. I add a little bit compression to glue all the sounds together, EQ to shape the track a little bit (cut first, then boost) and a bit of saturation to give it a bit of fatness.

As long as it isn't overdone, I think it's fine.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610

Thanks all for your answers, it's good to get different perspectives on the topic. I'm definitely trying to keep it subtle and I have a template set up with all of the mix buss plugs off, but I think I'll persevere with bringing them in early and trying to mix into them (in a very cheap and ITB way of imitating mixing into a desk).

Slapping something on the mix buss to manage the width of the sounds might be a good addition too. I do this when I've rendered down and started a separate mastering session normally, but if it's already halfway there I could do more fine tuning or be more creative with width on the master.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 570801

also forgot to mention

- i stack a mono utility as the very last thing on the chain

I find it not very compelling to compose and produce in mono, so it stays bypassed during that stage
but I turn it on during mixing stage. Mixing in mono helps reveal masking issues for different elements in the mix that aren't recognizable to that degree if i'm listening in stereo (false separation) , i guess for tighter frequency ranges where things overlap in a sonically negative way (because overlaping is not always a bad thing, some of the overtones are actually the desired material)

Cheers!

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to slugware
NChil10 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13260

I don't start with stuff on the master, except for gain ( I mix anywhere from -20 to -35 db peak pre-gain, so I need to bring it up to make it easily audible, I turn that back off/down before I render and master) and an eq with a spectrum just so I can get some visual feedback or isolate a band if I need to hear something, but that also gets turned off before rendering. Beyond that, no two songs are the same, but I remind myself that unless I'm sending it off for mastering, I'll have control of the master and a lot more spare CPU to play with at that stage, worst case being I have to adjust some levels and re-render because the mastering brings out certain elements etc.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
NChil10 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
Aural Films
Learning The Ropes
Aural Films will become famous soon enough
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 60

I always put the BBE Sonic Maximizer on the final to realign everything. Its does a great job clearing up the top-end and improving separation. Like magic, really.
Aural Films is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Aural Films
NChil10 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

i do some shit.. a little saturation, a little compression. both parallel. Both in parallel. Then maybe a little parallel multiband compression and then a little limiter. Make sure you check occasionally to make sure your levels going into the chain haven't changed too much.

Then I'll usually take it off at the end. I use it mostly just to make it sounds a little more impressive while I'm working just to keep me interested.

I don't have a problem with doing it because after producing an entire track, I have to take a break (usually sleep on it) and come back remix the damn thing for it to be worth a damn because my ears are shot by the end of a long session. So really, I allow myself to do all kinds of stupid stuff during the production phase.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
NChil10 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #14
YoSoyPincho
Analog Lurker
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1010

Well i like using the EQUO visualizer built in FL Studio, or get any frequency spectrum analyzer to avoid frequency redundancy or multiple instruments fighting for a certain spot in the spectrum, also i try to keep everything below -15dB. I use the Fruity Equalizer 2 to cut frequencies below 25-30 Hz and above 18.5KHz-19KHz (Right in this point i really don't know if i'm going against some sacred rule) but i just find things below or above these points quite unnecessary for the final mix. I like using the Izotope Ozone 5 plug in to bring it all up at the end with the "Maximizer" feature, as well as the stereorizer, and harmonic exciters if necessary. I also add the Fruity Limiter with its default set-up just for me to visualize pretty much everything after all of these plug ins are activated back on.

My set up has changed with every song i finish up, but i find this one being the most versatile so far.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to YoSoyPincho
NChil10 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 AM   #15
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

5-6 distortions and bitcrushers on master ftw

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #16
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
5-6 distortions and bitcrushers on master ftw
8 Ohmicide Inserts should do the trick

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503530
Thanked 6,252 Times in 4,489 Posts

Depending on the vibe I'm going for I will often go through my entire process with U-he Satin on the master. Then yea, I do some stereo bus processing after the mix.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
NChil10 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Two bus compressor ( SSL bus or Neve 33609)..whatever tape emulation Ia m liking at the time..and some over all tonal eq that may stay or go depending on things..for two track processing that changes all the time..

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
NChil10 (08-11-2016)