Octatrack: clicky slices with unwanted transients
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47510
Octatrack: clicky slices with unwanted transients

I've noticed that when slicing up samples that even with zero crossings selected, there tends to be an audible click upon playback. The samples in question are continuous basslines with no silent parts, which isn't ideal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a cross fade option for looping or playback.
The only solution I found was to manually add a fade in and fade out section for each slice and adjusting the ADSR settings. The latter alone wouldn't get rid of it.

Has anyone found a more elegant solution?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898609
Thanked 3,388 Times in 2,052 Posts
Re: Octatrack: clicky slices with unwanted transients

Well switch glitch is only one thing which can cause pops and clicks at the starts and ends of a sample. Where the sample starts may also cause similar artefacts just due to the nature of the sound itself.

Personally, my elegant solution is to do the work and edit the samples in the first place so that they are properly trimmed in the first place instead of being lazy and letting the computer do it.

Computers suck at that kind of thing and the amount of time you're spending fidgeting around with stupid shit like ADSRs and such it would be quicker just to slice by hand anyway.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Since this is a hardware sampler recording a bassline directly, I guess what you're telling me is that the trimming I do is precisely what I should be doing?

------------------

Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269447808
Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,689 Posts

Is the sample stereo? If so the click could be on one of the channels

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
liquid_air (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Is the sample stereo? If so the click could be on one of the channels
So, change the view and check? It is stereo. Does the zero crossing algo look on both channels? Or only on one, or only those displayed?

------------------

Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015591
Thanked 6,963 Times in 4,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Since this is a hardware sampler recording a bassline directly, I guess what you're telling me is that the trimming I do is precisely what I should be doing?
Yes, but make sure to edit the samples in the first place so that they are properly trimmed in the first place.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Yes, but make sure to edit the samples in the first place so that they are properly trimmed in the first place.
Ever so helpful.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
lolirl (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269447808
Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
So, change the view and check? It is stereo. Does the zero crossing algo look on both channels? Or only on one, or only those displayed?
It only looks for one channels, so best do it manually. BUT zero point might not be aligned on both sides, so a bit of attack might still be needed

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
liquid_air (04-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Ever so helpful.
Well it was helpful, if not elaborate.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you have a breakbeat sample that you want to slice up and map to the Octatrack you should do this before sending the samples to the hardware.

So open up an audio editor on your computer and slice the sample up. Add fades in and out on samples where needed. Then save each slice to its own file and import these into the Octratrack.

It's the only way you can slice audio up and with enough precision to guarantee that you have no artefacts.

Edit: This technique is also known as "Being a producer."

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Thanks to Jaded
liquid_air (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well it was helpful, if not elaborate.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you have a breakbeat sample that you want to slice up and map to the Octatrack you should do this before sending the samples to the hardware.

So open up an audio editor on your computer and slice the sample up. Add fades in and out on samples where needed. Then save each slice to its own file and import these into the Octratrack.

It's the only way you can slice audio up and with enough precision to guarantee that you have no artefacts.

Edit: This technique is also known as "Being a producer."
Yes, I got that. And I appreciate the input. The thing is, I'm doing all of this OTB. That is A4 --> Octa. In that scenario the trimming needs to happen inside the Octa, which is why I think I'm doing pretty much what you're suggesting. I'm not complaining, I'm learning.

Mostly I wondered if there was indeed a cross fade option similar to the native Maschine sampler.

Looking at both stereo channels, using fade in/out, and judicious choice of slice points I got rid of the glitches, so thanks everyone!

I'm not looking for shortcuts jaded, so go easy on the sarcasm. I actually am starting to enjoy working with the Octatrack. You can take any little motiv and totally change it up. I'm finding it to be a creative powerhouse.

------------------

Old 05-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
It only looks for one channels, so best do it manually. BUT zero point might not be aligned on both sides, so a bit of attack might still be needed
This was an awesome tip! Thanks! Just the pointer I needed. Also paying close attention where the slice gets cut off in short sequence rhythmic patterns is both critical and a bit tricky. But with a proper fade out, all glitches are gone.

------------------

Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #12
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 22960

for most things I find it better to sample synths in mono then add stereo effects after the fact. We are spoiled coming from a DAW background but for hardware I find it much easier that way. Unless that break or whatever really needs to be stereo. Glad you are coming to terms with the octatrack!

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
I'm not looking for shortcuts jaded, so go easy on the sarcasm.
Asking a sound guy to go easy on the sarcasm is like asking a bartender to go easy on the scotch...

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:27 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Asking a sound guy to go easy on the sarcasm is like asking a bartender to go easy on the scotch...
I'd never do that. I mean asking the bartender.

------------------

Old 13-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #15
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390179

how many ppl on here do you think own an octatrack?

Advertisements

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote