Does hardware ever work?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3462105
Does hardware ever work?

Just a conversation rather than anything serious but I got into hardware last year and I love it, instant gratification and away from the mouse. So with a bit of disposal income, I have GAS like most people and always researching the next possible bit of kit. However, when I read up:

Tempest - expensive and buggy OS, Dave Smith seems to have abandoned it

Access Virus - the TI never works, Access seem to have stop supporting it

Even the Moog Minataur "is buggy and I took it back"

To be fair never had a problem myself up until now but just something I was thinking about. I'd hate to make a mistake on the next purchase and as I don't live in country with music shops, everything is mail order and even more of a risk.

Advertisements

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of2oo3 has much to be proud of
Mechelen
MC Status: 1410
Re: Does hardware ever work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Just a conversation rather than anything serious but I got into hardware last year and I love it, instant gratification and away from the mouse. So with a bit of disposal income, I have GAS like most people and always researching the next possible bit of kit. However, when I read up:

To be fair never had a problem myself up until now but just something I was thinking about. I'd hate to make a mistake on the next purchase and as I don't live in country with music shops, everything is mail order and even more of a risk.
The bugs, hardware offer, are part of the experience, for me. Embrace them.
I have a tempest: the existing bugs, except for one, I can work around.
I have a Waldorf Microwave XT: encoders often jump back to the saved value if you tweek your sound.
For me it's the interaction, the dialogue, it's like a good friend. You'll have lot's of fun with your mate, and you look past the dumb shit, he or she, does or says, from time to time.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your hardware problem, now?

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269443658
Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,642 Posts

I think they usually work, most of the complains though come from a small, very vocal minority.
For example, if you were to check the Elektrons forum before buying an Octatrack, you'd think it's a very hard, incomplete piece of crap. I guess most of the people who are really happy with their hardware don't really bother commenting about it.

For example, I just got a Virus TI, 2nd hand. The previous owner didn't bother upgrading it, but with no hassle I could upgrade to the latest version of the software, which basically brings it to par with the TI2. As synths goes it is pretty much complete (can't talk about TI integration as I only barely tried), yet I'm sure some people are still complaining.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3462105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo3 View Post
The bugs, hardware offer, are part of the experience, for me. Embrace them.
I think that's acceptable if you're Vince Clark and it's the 80's but you'd like to think manufacturers would have a grip on things by now.

Quote:
For me it's the interaction, the dialogue, it's like a good friend. You'll have lot's of fun with your mate, and you look past the dumb shit, he or she, does or says, from time to time.
That's a nice way of looking at things

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what is your hardware problem, now?
Nothing for the time being but then I only have an A4 and TR-8. I guess I just spend too much time on forums reading about people complaining about their kit.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I think they usually work, most of the complains though come from a small, very vocal minority.
For example, if you were to check the Elektrons forum before buying an Octatrack, you'd think it's a very hard, incomplete piece of crap. I guess most of the people who are really happy with their hardware don't really bother commenting about it.

For example, I just got a Virus TI, 2nd hand. The previous owner didn't bother upgrading it, but with no hassle I could upgrade to the latest version of the software, which basically brings it to par with the TI2. As synths goes it is pretty much complete (can't talk about TI integration as I only barely tried), yet I'm sure some people are still complaining.
This ^^

Playing around with the Tempest I just got indicates it does pretty much what it's advertised to do.

If you find YouTube videos that give you an idea what it sounds like and how it's used and then all the various sources of reviews (SoS, RA, vendor portals) are positive and it shows up in various best or top 10 whatever lists, it'll be a decent piece of gear.

The transition from VST to hardware was also not hard at all. You know what two DCOs with sub-Osc plus two sample based Osc ought to do. Looking at Tremor or Breaktweaker, you already have a feel for what to expect.

Another case in point are Amazon reviews. There is always a spread, no matter how good the product. You look at a 4.5 star item with 1000 reviews and there's always a few 1-2 star reviews in there and it's either some irrelevant gripe, bad luck, or just s/o with odd expectations.

You generally won't find multiple platforms raving about anything these days that does not warrant such praise. Do your research and critically review if you want what the item does.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45936381
Thanked 5,564 Times in 3,514 Posts

I would say it ultimately depends on the hardware in question since many quality pieces of kit are not prone to glitches and breakdowns. I've had some crap gear that never wanted to work (yamaha keyboard uno midi bs blahblah) but it really comes down to brand and build.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508130
Thanked 6,344 Times in 4,551 Posts

Quote:

There are many pieces of hardware that are more incomplete than those you list and some totally abandoned by the manufactures.

While there are plenty of legitimate complaints about various hardware bugs, I find that 75% percent of the complaining is from people who just want their hardware to do things that company didn't really design the hardware to do or what they want simple isn't and won't be a feature in an OS update.

Just as example, people go on and on about how the Tempest should have had sampling.

Mostly I find hardware works as it should. I've owned both the new Electribes and never really ran into most of the bugs people complain about. Though I might have gotten mine well after they were addressed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124435
Thanked 1,135 Times in 828 Posts

Most of the time, the people complaining about something being "totally broken" and "not working at all!" are totally exaggerating, and are just a very, very vocal minority.

Ty Unwin had a great rant about this concerning the Tempest on a recent Sonic Talk. All he hears from some people online is that the Tempest is a broken brick, and yet he's been using it daily on hundreds of professional productions and projects without a problem.

That's the other thing - you'll often find that the people complaining about hardware are NOT the ones using their instruments to make music. They're the ones who are just into the constant collecting of gear, and discussing the gear on line. You might be surprised how seldom those two groups overlap.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526977
Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post

That's the other thing - you'll often find that the people complaining about hardware are NOT the ones using their instruments to make music. They're the ones who are just into the constant collecting of gear, and discussing the gear on line. You might be surprised how seldom those two groups overlap.
This so hard!

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
oly (06-11-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
This is a healthy portion of the GearSlutz electronic muzak subforum...

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Yeah. There's a guy on GS who has made it his personal vendetta to catalog all of the issues with the Korg Minilogue. If you were to base your opinion of the ML on his posts about, you would think that the ML is a terrible instrument on which no human being in the world could possibly make anything at all.

According to him, this should NOT exist!

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
A.M (06-11-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 18760

I feel like as long as you can afford all the wiring and have the knowhow to hook everything up, hardware is the best way to produce, and the fastest.

------------------
mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21510

Funest way perhaps (arguably) fastest certainly not! At least I don't find
Fastest might be some hardware synths with tons of knobs and something like push or maschine where sequencing is a non stop tactile thing! At least it is for me.
For example making stuff on the mpc is a process, but it is worth it, making programs, starting a sequence, changing the program etc. I like it tho because I have something like 7 gb of samples on the mpc hard drive but no presets so I layer chop trim etc all from scratch every time.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Funest way perhaps (arguably) fastest certainly not! At least I don't find
Fastest might be some hardware synths with tons of knobs and something like push or maschine where sequencing is a non stop tactile thing! At least it is for me.
For example making stuff on the mpc is a process, but it is worth it, making programs, starting a sequence, changing the program etc. I like it tho because I have something like 7 gb of samples on the mpc hard drive but no presets so I layer chop trim etc all from scratch every time.
well for me (when I'm given the equipment), I just come up with random sequences out of my ass and the make a basic kick- snare drum beat and add onto it until I have an idm track.

------------------
mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
D_Davis
Seattle

I don't know what is fastest, or most productive, but for me hardware instruments are more fun. I like having dedicated instruments. I also participate in a lot of live jams, so it's much easier to throw a synth in my car and take it over to a buddy's house.

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
This is a healthy portion of the GearSlutz electronic muzak subforum...
aint that the truth

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Yeah. There's a guy on GS who has made it his personal vendetta to catalog all of the issues with the Korg Minilogue. If you were to base your opinion of the ML on his posts about, you would think that the ML is a terrible instrument on which no human being in the world could possibly make anything at all.

According to him, this should NOT exist!

i read all of that, thinking to myself, wouldn't you be better off just writing some music with it instead?

I think he'd be happier.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
D_Davis (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Also, I find a software environment to be the fastest, combination of a good software package/DAW and a 61 key controller. When I have an idea i need to get down NOW i'll end up using this Nord Lead emulator in Reaktor. Once i have the concept down I can make decisions as to whether or not it makes sense to replace the synths with recordings of my hardware. Whether or not i deem it necessary is a coin toss.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
oly (06-11-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Also, I find a software environment to be the fastest, combination of a good software package/DAW and a 61 key controller. When I have an idea i need to get down NOW i'll end up using this Nord Lead emulator in Reaktor. Once i have the concept down I can make decisions as to whether or not it makes sense to replace the synths with recordings of my hardware. Whether or not i deem it necessary is a coin toss.
This is where I am at honestly. I've been working all in the box recently while I make some decisions on what hardware to keep. It has been hugely refreshing and I'm making much better music than trying to do it with all hardware, mostly hardware, whatever.

Things like Elektron Overbridge and dedicated controllers like the Native Instruments stuff are the way forward. My Analog 4 is getting moved, probably tomorrow, right next to my MIDI keyboard at my computer workstation. Can't wait to make some gnarly DnB midrange sequences and pads with it : )

------------------
Old 06-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 5910

Quote:
Buggy hardware can give the best stuff. Analog octave dividers, things that track crap like, analog weirdness like oscillators reacting to temperature. Embrace the unknown!

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote