Is 2GB Ram enough power for music production?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210
Is 2GB Ram enough power for music production?

I'm looking into buying a cheap lightweight laptop to travel with. It would be nice to make music on the road.

What would you suggest are the minimum requirements for music production? Is 2GB Ram (1.33Ghz processor speed) adequete?

Most the plugins I use are fairly CPU friendly. Besides, I'm sure there are techniques to avoid problems with CPU.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Is 2GB Ram enough power for music production?

yes and no, it all depends n what you intend to use for that production. in this day and age it's generally a no, that's nowhere near enough. however, as said it depends on what you intend to use software wise
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Depends on your workflow and stuff. Probably will be very hard to lunch some serious sample libraries like kontakt. You might be ok, but be prepared to bounce all the stuff and deal directly with audio.
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526177
Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,143 Posts

Bounce tracks down often and use your DAW as more of an audio sequencer and you should be fine. VST's are going to be limited.

I'd get something more substantial, but it can be done.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1810

Considering your OS is going to take a massive reserve for itself (even with optimization it's still 700-1200mb instantly gone), you'd be pretty much stuck with very lightweight plugins & soundfonts for that kind of setup. It's still entirely possible to compose some magic with such a setup, just be aware that you'll be unable to run any of the 'heavier solutions' per say and I would strongly advise a minimum of 4GB as a comfortable 'low-end' if you can afford to do so.

If you're sourcing a cheap laptop for composing on-the-go, stay away from Ultrabooks & 2-in-1 systems if you want more bang-for-buck since most of them end up utilising U-Series Intel Chips which drastically reduce performance to keep them low-powered and cool inside of confined spaces. Saying that it depends on how important portability of a Traditional Laptop Chassis vs Very-Thin Ultrabook-styled is for you.
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

Well when I first got reason several years ago that's roughly what I had if I remember correctly, but now even reason might struggle with that. Have you looked into an iPad?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16310

4 to 8 gigs id say and a core i3 to i5
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
eesn
Soundwave Mangler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 3610

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
What would you suggest are the minimum requirements for music production? Is 2GB Ram (1.33Ghz processor speed) adequete?
The simple answer is 4GB minimum and 2GHz+.
If you don't use sample playback, then 2GB and a lean OS might just do it for you, but good luck arriving at a lean OS these days. Keep in mind the nicest plugins tend to be taxing on the CPU. Your DAW of choice will be a factor. Renoise or something less mainstream in general will handle limited resources better.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697

I don't really use plugins, but if I have like 30 minute samples, it crashes quite easily with 4gb ram.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Creepr
Sample Destroyer
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 3460

Although I am not an apple fan, but an ipad or even an android tab could be a good choice. Android has limited options still but there are some solid choices like FL and Caustic for getting ideas down. Would probably be a similar price to even a cheap, older laptop.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

Re iPad: consider that most solutions will require you to bounce to audio, with some notable exceptions.

Is cost a factor? A Mac Book Pro with a small screen will be quite portable and require less in terms of trade off. With a portable pad controller (QuNeo, MK2) you'll have a neat little box.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #12
Kyrpto
Radial Developer
Kyrpto has a spectacular aura aboutKyrpto has a spectacular aura aboutKyrpto has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

8GB should be minimum nowadays.
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
vetrix
vetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MC
MC Status: 328476

For basic music production ( meaning you are not using RAM hogs like orchestral simulators ) you can probably get away with 4GB , although you may find its not enough if you are opening many VSTs or loading multiple heavy audio files on a single project .

It also depends on your standard workflow. Do you like to keep things simple and minimal while producing or do you usually end up with 100´s of plugins ,audio files , effects etc.. ?

The more RAM you have the more room you have to keep adding effects , plugins , samples etc.. but on the other hand having less RAM might force you to streamline your creativity and do more with less sort of speak.

In any case I would say that 4GB is the minimum to get things started , 8GB is most likely more than enough for most productions and higher than that is almost always only needed if you regularly use large sample-based instruments or produce complex tracks with a LOT going on.

But a good thing about RAM is that you can simply add more as you need. You can start with 4GB and if down the road you find its insufficient you can upgrade to 8GB and so on ( when buying your unit make sure you know many sticks the RAM is on and the # of slots are available ).

------------------
vetrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

At this point in time due to the amount of ram needed by current OSs I would go 8 plus..4 you can get by as long as you are not using too many sample based plugins or you track freeze bounce often...plus it will depend on your DAW of choice..Reaper tends to be far less intensive in ram usage..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Numerical (10-19-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
Reaper tends to be far less intensive in ram usage..
This. On an XP system I was able to use Reaper with 768MB of ram...though that was several years ago. I'm currently using it on a Windows 7 crappy Compaq laptop with 6 gigs and it works flawlessly. If you want to run on as little ram as possible go with Reaper.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42348749
Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
I'm looking into buying a cheap lightweight laptop to travel with. It would be nice to make music on the road.

Most the plugins I use are fairly CPU friendly. Besides, I'm sure there are techniques to avoid problems with CPU.

Thanks in advance
No.

I could spend 3 pages weighing it all up and explaining but I'm in the middle of re-watching The Force Awakens.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:47 AM   #17
ablaut
Learning The Ropes
ablaut will become famous soon enough
China
MC Status: 60

It is possible if you would use a light-weight Linux OS and Non DAW. There are some really good open source synths like ZynAddSubFX and Helm as well.
ablaut is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1820927

Min of 4gb redcommend 8gb

------------------
...from the adventures of IDM Forum collaborations and community projects.

Warning: DO NOT Press the Panda...even though you know you want too!!!
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #19
foilmusiq
Granular Poster
foilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura about
Zg
MC Status: 210

It is hard with that little ram, you can do it but... i use 8gb and i would love to have 16, have SSD, and 8gb of ram somethimes is not enought for me.

------------------
foilmusiq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Thugfauna
Learning The Ropes
Thugfauna will become famous soon enoughThugfauna will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

For something that uses VSTi's is hard to work with.
I have tried to use FL studio with 4gb ram and you can have fun with the native VST's but it cannot run most downloaded vst's.

And if you start stacking more than a handful of vsts you will start getting clicks in the sound and lag.

I believe 2gb will be almost unusable. But If you want to make a track using all samples and only 1 or 2 vst's it could work.

Advertisements

Thugfauna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote