Music production on the go: discovering iOS
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41710
Music production on the go: discovering iOS

I know this has been the topic of another post, but I wasn't able to find it easily.

On a recent trip I played around with iMaschine 2 and really tried to push the envelope. I used some custom sounds I sampled to .wav and added them (works great). The app has some limits: four sound generators, each with only four patterns, two FX slots, and limited number of scenes.

This here is what I made the on my iPhone (!) pretty much over a 5h plane ride:

I then looked into what other nice options exist on iOS. I was blown away how capable an iPad can be using Audiobus2. Good selection of synths, as well effects. Korg, Arturia, Sugar Bytes, as well as Propellerhead are all there with some cool stuff. Using Propellerhead Figure, Samplr, and Portable Dandy I was on my way making some neat glitchy grooves in no time. Add Techno Box 2, iElectribe, and iMaschine and you got it going. Next I'll try hooking up my QuNeo controller and look into MIDI sync and integration into Logic (seems Aboeton might be easier, but that would be yet another DAW).

Very cool...

Andy

Last edited by liquid_air; 01-31-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Jaded (02-10-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710
Re: Music production on the go: discovering iOS

I have said this before but here we go:

To me the best part of the iPad has been using some of the synths in live with my iconnect audio!
Now mind you there are lots of dud apps: stay away from iMPC "pro" it's shite, Z3ta if pretty so so at best
I didn't get along with the interface of Magellan either! And the lack of midi synch in iMS-20 is super annoying, why bother putting a sequencer in there korg?
Anyways Thor, iSEM, iM1 is super cool, Animoog is amazing and so is patterning, great for weird beats!

Now my gripe with iPad is the fact that I can't really use it on its own, everything seems to be missing that vital piece: no fx in gadget for example, or the issue that it is difficult to use many synths together!
There is some hope with ableton link and I am really looking forward to the new gadget update, but I think for the most part the iPad will be relegated to sample fodder for the mpc 1k or the new simpler!
YMMV obviously and for just instrumental electronic music gadget with the 2 new korg wireless controllers would be great! Now korg give me iPolysix and some fx and a proper mixer in gadget and it could be a winner!

Edit: I am also keeping an eye out for reviews of the new Auria pro, sounds promising!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (01-31-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

I got an iConnect MIDI2, but can't seem to get it to connect properly. I created an aggregate audio interface from the Scarlett and the iConnect, but I am missing some steps. Anyone got some instructions?

------------------

Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1525227
Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I got an iConnect MIDI2, but can't seem to get it to connect properly. I created an aggregate audio interface from the Scarlett and the iConnect, but I am missing some steps. Anyone got some instructions?

What is it not doing for you?

I have my MOTU 828mk3 aggregated with my iConnect +4 Midi. In my configuration, in Ableton Live the iConnect audio IO shows up as the last 2 stereo pairs in my IO list, so after the input channels I have enabled in Live.

It was all really straight forward to configure, with the exception of wrapping my head around how iConnect addresses all the additional MIDI IO ports.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
liquid_air (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
What is it not doing for you?

I have my MOTU 828mk3 aggregated with my iConnect +4 Midi. In my configuration, in Ableton Live the iConnect audio IO shows up as the last 2 stereo pairs in my IO list, so after the input channels I have enabled in Live.

It was all really straight forward to configure, with the exception of wrapping my head around how iConnect addresses all the additional MIDI IO ports.
Thanks. It wasn't clear how to select ports. I am running it in Logic, but was hoping I might be able to integrate into Maschine. Not sure what instrument track setup I need.

------------------

Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

You should be able to select the usb2 as an output in either software to control your iPad, check how your iconfig is set up, sometimes mine give me some headaches by not always loading my preset!
As an upside I have been digging into this link thing, it is pretty great! I had patterning, gadget, and fugue machine controlling iSEM running smoothly and in sync!
Now I want to use link to midi and see if I can sync all that to my MPC! I am guessing MPC would be master

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (02-07-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #7
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525320

I've been using Link with my iPad since it came out, before then I really didn't do much with my iPad musically or iPhone for that matter except a few apps for building chords and stuff.

Link is great, except I wish there was a way to send MIDI, not just MIDI clock. Maybe in an update I hope.

There seems to be some lag on my system. Ableton notes it waits for the next bar, before playing or recording or so on in an app and or LIVe, but in my experience its been all over the map and I'm also having some latency issues with audio. This being audio coming straight into my PreSonus, not out then back in, so not sure where the delay would be coming from.

otherwise the apps I'm digging lately is Elastic Drums, Patterning (such a great growing library of kits!), Figure is a fun no-mistakes-can-be-made-toy, I've been using it to modulate some of my Sherman filter bank.

I had animoog before and thought it was pretty good app with a lot of versatility and good sound, I need to download it again.

iElectribe is decent as well

OH WAIT THE BEST ONE!!

FUGU MACHINE

...almost didn't wanna tell anyone about it.. such an a badass sequencer, I need someone to copy it as a Max4Live patch, or make a vst!!
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

^ get animoog and sequence it with fugue machine! Best thing ever!

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
agent (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
^ get animoog and sequence it with fugue machine! Best thing ever!
My boss said I cant take anymore time off from work and that sounds like the musical toy flu..

However, if I didn't care about getting fired, how do you go about sequence one app with another?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Fugue machine has some setting where you can turn off the internal synth, then in the synth app settings choose fugue as the midi source, I think, I am at work so I don't remember, but it's not hard!
If that's not enough to call in sick open gadget in audiobus at the same time and use link to have it all in sync, waste a few hours away having fun with that!

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
agent (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

cool, I'll check it out for sure
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440858
Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,608 Posts

Elastic drums is a bomb, Beat maker 2 is quite deep as well. I did a few nice things on TriqTraq as well.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Anyone get their hands on auria pro yet?

------------------
Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Yes, just started checking it out.

It feels a lot like Logic Pro to me. It integrates with a series of plugins I like (iDensity, iProphet, iSEM, Animoog, Elastic Drums).
It also offers for purchase the entire range of FabFilter plugins. Not some sort of version, but the exact look, feel, and sound.

Running just three MIDI tracks, it is clear that this software is somewhat taxing on my first gen iPad Air. I'll try it on my Air2 now.

It's a really cool piece of software.

I started to wonder, why one wouldn't just run the full blown Logic on, say, a Mac Book Air and travel with QuNeo.

Andy

------------------

Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Man I don't know, auria and a iPad pro sure is tempting!

------------------
Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1525227
Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Man I don't know, auria and a iPad pro sure is tempting!

its the Yang to your hardware Yin.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
its the Yang to your hardware Yin.
Yeah well I am just struggling to find real musical use to the iPad you know! So maybe a hardware setup with a stripped DAW in an iPad pro would be cool! Just thinking out loud!

------------------
Old 02-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #18
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39277699
Thanked 1,103 Times in 718 Posts

As a recent iPhone convert, I'm keeping up on this thread now. Keeping an eye out for cool things for that. Not looking to make whole tracks, but just get down ideas when I'm out and about.

------------------
candlesayshi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #19
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
As a recent iPhone convert, I'm keeping up on this thread now. Keeping an eye out for cool things for that. Not looking to make whole tracks, but just get down ideas when I'm out and about.
iMaschine 2 is hard to beat.

Elastic Drums is also very capable.

Auria Pro feels like more of a learning curve, but would be the most capable. But it's iPad only. For iPhone, I'm always coming back to Maschine. You can use Audiobus with MultiTrack, if you care about audio only.

With iMaschine and Maschine on you computer you can simply pick up from your draft on your phone and continue your work and then push it back to your phone. I've yet to see this level of integration in any of the other mobile apps.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Hygro (02-25-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #20
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39277699
Thanked 1,103 Times in 718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
iMaschine 2 is hard to beat.
Yeah, I was looking at that, but was a little adverse to getting it because it seems like it really comes alive if you have a Maschine. Which I don't.

Might get it anyway though. Since I'd really just be using it as a scratchpad.

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote

Music production on the go: discovering iOS Tags
imaschine, ios, ishit, midi