Guitar pedal questions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21510
Guitar pedal questions

I am curious what people here are recommending or using as pedal setups and if they use pedal boards for making droning sounds
I am assuming lots of delay but I would like to get ideas of what people are using, you know instead of diving in and making newbie errors!
Cheers

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526977
Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,152 Posts
Re: Guitar pedal questions

same thing you might use in the box.

looper, verb, delay, overdrive (saturation), etc.

i really love the super awkward and unpredictable sampler in my kaoss pad 2, its like a "press and pray" kind of scenario. lots of happy accidents w it.

:edit: it doesnt have to be a kaoss pad, unquantized loopers are loads of fun, be them pedals or Ableton's looper set to "unsync'ed" mode.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797

I have these crappy "101 effects pedals" with awful sound quality, they're pretty fun to feedback thru a lot of delay and whatnot. I also used to enjoy just the mixer feedback, you could drive that thru some stuff too. Also you could get a drone device from ebay, there's a lot of circuit bent wonders if you're not handy with soldering iron yourself. Something like a monotron delay might be a nice thing too. Mics and tape recorders...

idk if I drifted somewhere... Make sure to buy a good delay pedal, like not pricy but one with a lot of functionality and charm, I have some weak ones that don't let me drown the source sound at all, so they're just quiet in the background. You could also build a spring reverb, which is quite easy to do, else you need an op amp for that.

Good delays are like el capistan, but that's way too pricy for me.

Good start up patch would be:
mixer out > distortion/overdrive > some cool pedal > delay > mixer in. Then your mixer has a second output that you use to hear the feedback. with mic feedback you have to move it like just an inch and the whole sound changes, so that's good for drones.

I hope this helped, there's a lot of ideas, but just decide on something, they're all good and you wont disappoint.

here's some vid idk

Last edited by Mctoast; 12-15-2015 at 07:10 AM..

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Kvlt O))) (12-16-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post

I hope this helped, there's a lot of ideas, but just decide on something, they're all good and you wont disappoint.

this.

get some tools, and use them.

------------------
Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Drones are probably the easiest sound to achieve in the world. Just stack delays and give it some reverb

Add distortion = instant harsh noise
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
vashima (12-27-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 145860
Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,757 Posts

It's worth looking out for an affordable/used/bargain console with something like six sends, so you can feed signals to all types of delays reverbs what have you, feed all of those back in the console using strips (not the effects returns) and cross feeding the wet signals back in the effects.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744006091
Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,221 Posts

I just borrowed my dad's Morley wah pedal to have a noodle with but I wasn't that impressed with it sound-wise tbh.
Sure, it's built like a tank and I like the separate on/off switch but the actual range of the wah seemed very limited to me. Almost like the throw of the pedal was not calibrated properly (to my taste) between the extremities.
It seemed pretty much completely dry and then very quickly completely wet.
It's been a while since I used a wah tbh, are they all like that or should I just try a Crybaby or whatever instead?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

At one point in time I had a Morley and did not like it. Cry baby, even with the sort of annoying on/off switch sounded more "right" to me.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21510

I have a crybaby classic and I like it although I do find it a little bright I think. But for the price, I didn't feel like getting some overpriced guitar superstar named pedal just for a slightly different sound!

Edit: as for cool looper pedals any recommendations? That might be all I am missing in my drone making guitar pedal setup. Nothing too complicated!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39279549
Thanked 1,140 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Edit: as for cool looper pedals any recommendations? That might be all I am missing in my drone making guitar pedal setup. Nothing too complicated!
If you can find one, the fucking Montreal Assembly Count to Five.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #11
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 21460

I have an old RC-20 that I used back when I'd play outside of the house. It's 10 years old so it's not horribly complicated, but I can get some awesome imprecise loops and fuck about with them and it's lots of crazy fun when I run out to it from my mixer with the guitar and the synths running.

I have no idea if it's become treasured classic gear or outdated trash in the last 10-15 years, but if you can find one on the cheap it'll let you do some basic looping with your little piggies.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 145860
Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I just borrowed my dad's Morley wah pedal to have a noodle with but I wasn't that impressed with it sound-wise tbh.
Sure, it's built like a tank and I like the separate on/off switch but the actual range of the wah seemed very limited to me. Almost like the throw of the pedal was not calibrated properly (to my taste) between the extremities.
It seemed pretty much completely dry and then very quickly completely wet.
It's been a while since I used a wah tbh, are they all like that or should I just try a Crybaby or whatever instead?
I have owned pretty much every popular wah pedal out there and the one that "talks" the most across the whole range of the guitar is the GeorgeDennis. The orange one.

It says "wah". Not gwu or woh or muh. Unbeatable for whacka-whacka funk comping.

Excellent build. Led flashes when battery low. Also the control is optical aka no scratchy pots.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744006091
Thanked 6,773 Times in 4,221 Posts

Yeah ok cool, I'll check that out man, thanks. Tbh I wasn't wanting to wah that much, I was just trying to use it as a lazy way to find a nice tone and then leave it set in that position while noodling.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 5910

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
IMO this pedal is only good on paper... and the internet... I was super disappointed with it. Surely someone can prove me wrong, however I think you'd be better off with the basics and make your weirdness with combinations. Then again I am a crusty old guy.

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote