BEAT BATTLE XX
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 21-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426
BEAT BATTLE XX

GET HYPE MOTHERFUCKERS

Quote:
THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday. Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day (tuesday). Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (thursday). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (friday) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

All times are UTC.
BBXX SAMPLES

These fine samples must be used to the exclusion of any other sound sources:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

here are some packs made of the same samples: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Yes, there is indeed a fuckload of them. Get digging.

BBXX RULES

1. You shall aim for a "vintage" sound. Do it like it's the 70's.
2. You shall have a drumless intro of reasonable length.
3. Try to create as many melodic variations on your main theme as you can, without losing sight of it.

BBXX DEADLINES

Sumbissions end Tuesday December 1st
Votes end Thursday 3rd
New Battle on Friday 4th

GO!

Last edited by lebeux; 21-11-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts
Re: BEAT BATTLE XX

Hey, thanks lebeux.. Just one q, is it considered "cheating" to use the kontakt libs he provides for the samples on his site? : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- he links to these from freesound.org. I still downloaded some 20GB of samples/libs, pretty heavy kits. There's for reason, logic and kontakt VST.

Anyway, 70s vintage, I thought Andreas Wollenweider'ish etc, and came up with this.. Mostly using the Jupiter samples (NKI) and the analog drumkit coupled with drumaxx and the default channel rack drummachine in FL..

I don't know much about 70s electronica, so sorry if I'm too far off or if the NKIs are considered "too easy" or something. It was fun making it in any case. Cheers!

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Thomas
lebeux (21-11-2015)
Old 21-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

That's perfect, and the NKIs are fair game. Nice work man.

EDIT: oh wait, the drums should have come from the source samples too... there's plenty of them in there
Old 21-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
That's perfect, and the NKIs are fair game. Nice work man.

EDIT: oh wait, the drums should have come from the source samples too... there's plenty of them in there
Hehe, the intro and breakdown drums already did, but yea, that leaves out drumaxx, damn.. So I just exchanged it with FPC and loaded a bunch of kicks and snares from that 2400+ list, untouched by drumaxx.. Ravished by love philter.. Gives you almost the same result

And thanks btw

Last edited by Thomas; 21-11-2015 at 03:36 PM..

------------------
Old 21-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Wonderful!
Thanks to lebeux
Thomas (21-11-2015)
Old 22-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031291
Thanked 7,277 Times in 4,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Hehe, the intro and breakdown drums already did, but yea, that leaves out drumaxx, damn.. So I just exchanged it with FPC and loaded a bunch of kicks and snares from that 2400+ list, untouched by drumaxx.. Ravished by love philter.. Gives you almost the same result

And thanks btw
This is so far my favourite tune I've ever heard by you Thomas.
I was sucked in right from the start which reminded me of the FTL soundtrack.
Great stuff man.

Nice one for resurrecting this Leb.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Thomas (22-11-2015)
Old 22-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
This is so far my favourite tune I've ever heard by you Thomas.
I was sucked in right from the start which reminded me of the FTL soundtrack.
Great stuff man.

Nice one for resurrecting this Leb.

Thanks man, glad you liked it

------------------
Old 23-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

BBXX Part 1 - Modular Detox 70

BTW Lebeux good to be back and thanks for some incredible links. Amazing array of samples and NKI's, spent most the day screwing my bandwidth ... which is a good thing!

May do another if I get time lol

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by MFXxx; 28-11-2015 at 01:21 AM..

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 03:46 AM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
this is awesome. great melodic sense you have, man. love it.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Hey UCoB, thanks man

------------------
Old 23-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

I am so fucking ready for this.

I'll grab some samples tonight and get to work. I'm going to be so slow. I'm way out of practice right now.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to surgeongeneral
MFXxx (23-11-2015)
Old 24-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

That is a large amount of samples.

Is it all synth and drum one shots?

------------------
Old 24-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
That is a large amount of samples.

Is it all synth and drum one shots?
A lot of NKI, EXS, Refill, Live packs containing samples for the parts and one shots if you so desire.
There's some one shot sample packs which are really worth getting imho.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Actually it's all synths
The second link has packs made out of those one-shots.
Old 24-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

I was impressed by the quality of the samples. So many times in this battle, we're trying to flip a 128k MP3 and no matter how good you are, the audio will sound cheap. We should get some lush sounding tracks with this.

I was hoping to do a little last night, but I had to drink beer and cheer on my favorite football team (and the wagers that I made on them). I'd like to get a little more into it tonight.

------------------
Old 25-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

How do you even know we are using these samples?

can you identify them all by memory?
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Can the melody by complex synth layers as long as it sounds decently vintage?

Or should it be more acoustic?
Old 25-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Since the 70's was an entire decade, I'm pretty sure you can interpret that rule however you want. It's really up to each producer and voter to define what that means.

I had some fun messing with those packs last night. I didn't get very far, but I'm hoping to get it rolling these next few days. Great samples.

------------------
Old 25-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #19
Crude_beats
Banned

started making music with samples like this, it has been a long time though.

Not sure what I wanna do yet
Old 25-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #20
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Can the melody by complex synth layers as long as it sounds decently vintage?

Or should it be more acoustic?
Thomas nailed the vibe I was thinking of. As surge said though, it's pretty open to interpretation.
Not sure what you mean by acoustic, all of the samples are analog synths.

As far as complex layers go...

Advertisements