Fascism in ambient music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rs, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 30-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Tony R
Minor Glitch
Tony R is a jewel in the roughTony R is a jewel in the roughTony R is a jewel in the roughTony R is a jewel in the rough
Montreal, QC, Canada
MC Status: 310
Fascism in ambient music

Don't know why, but some people have decided to put ambiant down...

If like me, you listen to music on sunday afternoon, drinking a tea, it will mostly make you laught. Anyway, any comments on the article "fascism-in-ambient-music" on the site of "femmecult[dot]com" ?

Sorry, newbe can't post a link.

Advertisements

Tony R is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926
Re: Fascism in ambiant music

Fascism in anything else they could think of had already been done. Thnking is hard man.

If you didn't read blogs that scream "hello I'm a pseudo-intellectual wanker and tryhard doesn't even begin to describe me" just from the titles you'd spare yourself some grief.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
jVs (31-10-2015)
Old 30-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts
Re: Fascism in ambient music

I just stick to fascist tea and fascist ambient music.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Jaded (07-11-2015)
Old 30-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529430
Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,823 Posts

My honest and intellectual response to that essay, of which I unfortunately skimmed every painful paragraph, is: lol wut?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151460
Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,818 Posts

I buy every racist "Ethnic" soundbanks uot there and I make culturally appropriative, late-90's type "lounge" bollocks that redefines insipidity.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

It reads like something from the post-modern essay generator.

------------------
Old 30-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151460
Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Montreal, QC, Canada
Also, your RACE is invading my neighborhood. Leave.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 02:46 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
It reads like something from the post-modern essay generator.
Is that netlingo for Pitchfork?

One time, a really cool dark ambient artist kept showing up on my iPod as a square. I didn't realize at the time what that meant, but the music was really nice. Later on, I found out that my iPod just couldn't display the artist name correctly; it turned out that the artist name was a swastika.

Anyway, I didn't really care. There weren't any lyrics, and I didn't feel like I was listening to trash, even if they were promoting trash. Even some of these noise / ambient guys who have questionable lyrics don't really phase me. Half of it is designed to be offensive anyway, and there's really nothing malicious underneath it.

Seth Putnam would be proud
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
jVs (31-10-2015)
Old 31-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #9
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

^^^KVLT you and Lebux hit it on the head. It reminds me of an article I read (Spin maybe?) Anyway, there was a Rammstein interview and of course like any self respecting journalist would ask, "Are you fascist?" And it makes perfect sense, I mean if you're German you have to be fascist. Another good example would be the Deaths Head logo of the SS as an art design for Nurse With Wound. It's almost silly if you really think about it, People will put a spin on anything to cast it in a light that is more often than not the polar opposite of what the aesthetic really is. After all, We now live in a wonderful age of tolerance.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Jaded (07-11-2015)
Old 31-10-2015, 03:33 AM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
My honest and intellectual response to that essay, of which I unfortunately skimmed every painful paragraph, is: lol wut?
Exactly my response, LOL!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
relic (01-11-2015)
Old 31-10-2015, 03:35 AM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171910
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,566 Posts

Yeah..I read about this early in the week over on the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
forum and the response I posted there, remains the same here now..one word, "Horseshit" (..or two words if you want to split things).

Quote: "Devoted fans of ambient techno travel to Berlin from all over the world just to get what is believed to be a true taste of ambient culture at festivals such as CTM and Atonal."

I know there is such a genre as ambient techno, but to imply that genre would give anyone "..a true taste of ambient culture" is bloody absurd to say the least. I also know she goes on to name certain artists, but again, they don't typically reflect the vast majority of ambient artists the world over.

Does all this mean the likes of Brian Eno and Robert Rich are not to be trusted with our ears and those of our children, if we have them?

Like I said..horseshit. How narrow-minded people like this get into print is beyond me. She should pull her head out of her arse and take a cold hard look at the world in which she lives..and the powers that run. If she wants to see Fascism at work first hand, just turn on the T.V and catch the latests news broadcast!

Reminds me of the "She's a Witch" sketch that Monty Python did.."She floats so she must be made of wood...let's burn her" = "They dress in black and are into ambient music..they must be Fascists".

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 03:36 AM   #12
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
It's a shame, because her music (as Experimental Housewife) is pretty good IMHO. Essay was too strawman, too click-baity, too much a strange mish-mash of ideas. Any essay that starts out with the overused "hipster" insult isn't going to end well.

Perhaps there is a fascist sect of ambient out there I'm not aware of. I am not familiar with any of the artists or labels or the Berlin festivals mentioned, except I think I've encountered a mention of Blackest On Black somewhere... isn't that label more the experimental side of industrial (noise and drone etc) and not terribly ambient? Googling the Atonal festival seems to put it in that side of the camp as well. Very little of that would be "ambient" to me, perhaps some cross over to "dark ambient" but that would have little to do with the quick bits I heard of Experimental Housewife... *shrug*

Most experimental artists when they use shock imagery (from what I see) do not necessarily endorse or advocate, a fatal assumption this essay makes.

I'm aware of Death In June and there certainly is a "true fascism or just Douglas P still hanging on to his 1970s childish punk shock schtick?" debate there. But they also aren't ambient.

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to electrodevo
A.M (31-10-2015)
Old 31-10-2015, 03:42 AM   #13
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171910
Thanked 3,438 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodevo View Post
It's a shame, because her music (as Experimental Housewife) is pretty good IMHO. Essay was too strawman, too click-baity, too much a strange mish-mash of ideas. Any essay that starts out with the overused "hipster" insult isn't going to end well.

Perhaps there is a fascist sect of ambient out there I'm not aware of. I am not familiar with any of the artists or labels or the Berlin festivals mentioned, except I think I've encountered a mention of Blackest On Black somewhere... isn't that label more the experimental side of industrial (noise and drone etc) and not terribly ambient? Googling the Atonal festival seems to put it in that side of the camp as well. Very little of that would be "ambient" to me. Most experimental artists when they use shock imagery (from what I see) do not necessarily endorse or advocate, a IMHO fatal assumption this essay makes.

I'm aware of Death In June and there certainly is a "true fascism or just Douglas P still hanging on to his 1970s childish punk shock schtick?" debate there. But they also aren't ambient.
That's it exactly..it's like this person hasn't the first clue about what the hell ambient music is to begin with..and is writing more about industrial..or maybe even some dark ambient bands, but to then make the jump to ambient music in general is just plain stupid..and insulting.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I agree with relic. That article was difficult to skim through. It's poorly written and doesn't really seem to support the thesis that some ambient music is fascist. I think the person is seeing stuff that isn't there. Most ambient music doesn't have words anyhow, and isn't representational. So it would be pretty difficult for ambient to be fascist even if people were trying.

Just ignore lame articles like that. Sending us all to read those articles just increases their hit counts an makes them seem more viable because of more readers. But those types of articles are trite fluff. Stick with the people who live and breathe music and you'll be alright.

Ambient is alive and well. It's not going anywhere.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19260

"post-internet hipsters"
LOL... yeah hipsters from after the internet went away... forever
Also "pure-lace MDMA" whoever wrote this is a fucking dipshit

------------------
andrewchapmanart.com
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #16
geirslt
Regular Freak
geirslt will become famous soon enoughgeirslt will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Yeah, this article was all over the place.

I get what she's saying about the over-intellectualised ambient listeners and makers tho.

I made a track with this dude I know and he connotes so much to the music without actually showing any of it. Things like freedom etc but by that account I can just make a typical jungle track and connote 'the fight against evangelicalism' or some ish of that sort.

Seems like everyone's too busy making things look/sound smart to just do what they do and leave it at that. My music doesn't need to come with its own manifesto.
geirslt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Telefon Tel Aviv
Old 31-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #17
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

I'm not even reading the article this sounds stupid. Ambient music is the last thing I would associate with this...
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
A.M (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744023091
Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,430 Posts

Feminism = fascism.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #19
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 113760
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
"femmecult[dot]com"
ihavemastersdegreeinwomensstudies.com

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
ihavemastersdegreeinwomensstudies.com
ihaveanunmarketablephd.com

iamhavingflashbacksofgraduatecoursesintheory.com

Advertisements

------------------