The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 Ad
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 19-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294296
The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 Ad

The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 Ad: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Full stream: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Mini preview: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
•The long-awaited new full-length from legendary electronic pioneers THE ORB with cover design from iconic graphic wizards THE DESIGNERS REPUBLIC • A fascinating sonic journey over four epic tracks, constantly switching between psychedelic flourishes and beat-driven focus

Veritable pioneers of electronic music, iconic act THE ORB returns to Kompakt with the new full-length MOONBUILDING 2703 AD - another major slice of psychedelic synth bliss, obscure loops and deep ambient textures tossed in swinging breakbeats and powerful basslines. Installing a forward momentum rather unusual for a genre-defying project like this, the latest effort from masterminds Alex Paterson and Thomas Fehlmann follows their 2005 album success on Kompakt, the cheekily named "Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt" (KOMPAKT CD 45), as well as several contributions to our Speicher and Pop Ambient series - but more importantly, it finds the legendary duo at the peak of its creativity, ringing in another essential phase in what can only be called a ground-breaking career.

True to form, the new offering MOONBUILDING 2703 AD features a small track list, but turns each one of its four cuts into a mini epic in its own right. Opener GOD'S MIRRORBALL hits the ground floating, employing a handful of cozy statics to great effect before finally discharging into an intricate mosaic of atmospheric melodic sketches and gripping rhythms. With a hypnotic runtime of more than 14 minutes, it immediately establishes

a blueprint for the other album tracks to follow, perfectly illustrating the vast extent of the artists' vision and their impressive skills in luring in listeners - welcome to THE ORB's sonic labyrinth, where nothing is what it seems and the unexpected waits just around the corner.

Likewise, follow-up track MOONSCAPES 2703 BC presents itself as a uniquely versatile affair sitting comfortably between ambient flourishes and beat-driven focus, holding as many twists and turns as a caper movie, but carefully grounding every single one of its cliffhangers in its impeccable flow. With a runtime of approximately 9 minutes, LUNAR CAVES is the shortest jam of the bunch - and also the most ethereal, keeping its rhythmic content to a bare, pulse-like minimum and opting for enticing, freewheeling synth textures instead. Album closer and title cut MOONBUILDING 2703 AD introduces a surprisingly jazzy vibe mingling rather well with the

wealth of electronic tricks up its sleeve - even indulging in abrasive bass sweeps and a breathtaking multitude of different rhythm sections constantly switching places. It's a fitting closing act for a full-length as multifaceted as this, as idiosyncratic as possible and as muscling as needed.

Ordered my copy earlier today. Looking forward to diving into the sounds...

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 19-06-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Advertisements

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Orchidaceae
lolirl (20-06-2015)
Old 19-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1832627
Re: The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 Ad

Looks good. Triple vinyl and cd arrived this morning

Not played yet - waiting for the right moment.

New album since everything got nicked I believe?

------------------
MFXxx is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post

New album since everything got nicked I believe?
You mean like their studio equipment or something?
Old 19-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
You mean like their studio equipment or something?
You know I read about it a few months ago, but the interenet being a chronological and factual nightmare, maybe I am wrong. I am sure I read a load of gear got stolen but I may have read this about Weston and not patterson, not sure now so maybe strike this out until facts are restablished

Alot of controversy surrounds the member(s) over the years...who knows.

------------------
Old 19-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

I say let's concentrate on the music
Old 19-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
I say let's concentrate on the music
Agreed - move along now, nothing to read here only sound to hear.

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Orchidaceae (19-06-2015)
Old 19-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Agreed - move along now, nothing to read here only sound to hear.
And sights to see... Gotta say I really love the artwork.
Old 20-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Never listened to his music before ... Is it normal that it sounds a bit disjointed to me ?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
Never listened to his music before ... Is it normal that it sounds a bit disjointed to me ?
Mmm...not sure what you mean by disjointed...but I guess if you're new to this kind of music then it might take a while until you start to feel it...

I haven't received my copy yet, but have listened to the full stream once and can say it doesn't sound like their older stuff. Sounds like they are investigating some new roads...but you can still feel it's The Orb.

Also, this is definitely one of those albums that should be experienced as a whole, listened to from start to finish. Definitely more effective this way. Just drop all expectations and thoughts and let the music unfold...I believe it will enchant you at some point.

By the way, surely you have heard this one, right?

^Their most familiar track probably. Timeless.

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 20-06-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Old 20-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

Never listened to the Orb until today. I suppose the new album's ok, went through the stream, it's just not my style - long jams with very little variation in the beats.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
Never listened to the Orb until today. I suppose the new album's ok, went through the stream, it's just not my style - long jams with very little variation in the beats.
Well, I can definitely understand that. I can't say what I think of the album yet though. However, again, I think in this case only listening from start to finish, in the right mood, will reveal the album's charms and nuance...

Old 20-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

I think its like many artists, there's some work that stands out and some you can pass on by.

For me I loved the conceptual album Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. Not because it was niece, had to listen to it. I came across it by accident and the whole start to end without a break worked for me. Music telling or creating a story between tracks to form a scape.
Sly and Robbies Destination Unknown and then I stumbled across The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, leading on to KLFs Chillout, all very different albums covering various genres. Influencing experimentation of audo recording equipment and samples.

The Orb was the one band that stuck, however not all their work is consistantly good.

I need to find a nice relaxing moment to listen to the new album and discover it's little nuances, but as all good music over the years it influenced by experience, discovery and moods....

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Orchidaceae (20-06-2015)
Old 20-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Refraktal
Regular Freak
Refraktal will become famous soon enough
El Paso
MC Status: 60

Oh Cool! We actually get compared alot to The Orb. I had no idea that the production focused so much on sampling. Pretty cool, though I did expect more instruments and hardware.
Refraktal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
Head Tripper
Regular Freak
Head Tripper has a spectacular aura aboutHead Tripper has a spectacular aura aboutHead Tripper has a spectacular aura about
Take a wild guess...
MC Status: 210

Great album. Not familiar with the Orb at all, but I saw the vinyl at the store and had a listen. I liked it so I bought it.

Very chill and visual. I like how it progresses and how the ideas are layered in the tracks. Still have to listen to it with more attention and in the right mood.

Their discography is quite big... what are their highlights?
Head Tripper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Head Tripper
Orchidaceae (26-09-2015)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
I think in this case only listening from start to finish, in the right mood, will reveal the album's charms and nuance...

Oh..and there's a lot of charm and plenty of nuance
Old 06-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #17
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Tripper View Post
Great album. Not familiar with the Orb at all, but I saw the vinyl at the store and had a listen. I liked it so I bought it.

Very chill and visual. I like how it progresses and how the ideas are layered in the tracks. Still have to listen to it with more attention and in the right mood.

Their discography is quite big... what are their highlights?
Little fluffy clouds. There's loads to be honest. Album Adventures beyond the Ultra world. To more recent metallic spheres collaboration with David Gilmorton of Pink Floyd. Pop onto discogs or wiki. Interesting history and links with KLF in the early 90s

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refraktal View Post
Oh Cool! We actually get compared alot to The Orb. I had no idea that the production focused so much on sampling. Pretty cool, though I did expect more instruments and hardware.
Found this an interesting article on the matter:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8528780
Thanked 6,757 Times in 4,815 Posts

I'll have to give this a listen. I remember being turned on to the Orb at an after party some years ago. I picked up one of their albums last summer and remember being fairly underwhelmed by it. I'll have to give a listen to the streaming option.

Underworld's and New Order's latest release was quite good. Would love to see more of these 90's acts come back with new releases.

N/M I just had a look, I think maybe I was thinking of an Orbital album not the Orb.

Last edited by relic; 06-04-2017 at 07:45 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #20
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'll have to give this a listen. I remember being turned on to the Orb at an after party some years ago. I picked up one of their albums last summer and remember being fairly underwhelmed by it. I'll have to give a listen to the streaming option.

Underworld's and New Order's latest release was quite good. Would love to see more of these 90's acts come back with new releases.

N/M I just had a look, I think maybe I was thinking of an Orbital album not the Orb.
I always preferred Orbital to the Orb.

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote