Live downtempo bands
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Danielo
Regular Freak
Danielo is on a distinguished road
Stockholm
MC Status: 10
Live downtempo bands

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions of downtempo/ambient live bands who plays along with loops. Kinda improvisational..

Advertisements

Danielo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508180
Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,551 Posts
Re: Live downtempo bands

You might look into what Massive Attack and Portishead did live. I've seen a few different setups from both groups in videos.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
gecKohead
Minor Glitch
gecKohead has a spectacular aura aboutgecKohead has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Both Bonobo and UNKLE have live set ups which are essentially bands performing rather than just looped/dj'd sets. More downtempo/trip-hop than ambient though.

Might be worth having a look into Bjork's live stuff as that's pretty interesting from an innovative performance perspective (particularly biophilia live) and can verge on the more ambient side of downtempo.

There was also an improv 'dance' band called The Bays a few years ago - nothing recorded, the selling point being that each performance was essentially unique, which was a really exciting idea. Sadly, having schlepped through 2 foot deep mud specifically to see them on the last day of a totally washed out Glade festival, it became very clear why they never recorded anything as evidence.
gecKohead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
103e
Learning The Ropes
103e will become famous soon enough103e will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

There's a small down-tempo band called the Hidden Orchestra which play live with real instruments. In studio, their music is a lot about samples and looping whereas they're more of a "jazz" band in live.
103e is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65293096

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103e View Post
There's a small down-tempo band called the Hidden Orchestra which play live with real instruments. In studio, their music is a lot about samples and looping whereas they're more of a "jazz" band in live.
Yep, they released a couple of lovely albums...

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
gecKohead
Minor Glitch

How did I not remember them! I adore Hidden Orchestra!! Good shout guys. I think I've listened to Tired and Awake several thousand times
Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Of course there's also Piano Interrupted, Unland, Origamibiro, and Floex --- though I can't really label them as downtempo. It's just good, adventurous music... same goes for Hidden Orchestra.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #8
gecKohead
Minor Glitch

Awesome. Even if the OP wasn't looking for those bands, I'm certainly happy now. Piano Interrupted to add to the big list of discoveries. 2015 starting well... I'll have to check out some further tracks for the others though, they came across a bit too jam-band for me personally, but still cool... thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecKohead View Post
Awesome. Even if the OP wasn't looking for those bands, I'm certainly happy now. Piano Interrupted to add to the big list of discoveries. 2015 starting well... I'll have to check out some further tracks for the others though, they came across a bit too jam-band for me personally, but still cool... thanks!
My pleasure

Useful links:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Oh, and of course, more on the ambient side of the spectrum:

Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
gecKohead
Minor Glitch

Excellent, cheers for all the links, and that last band was particularly good.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Excellent, cheers for all the links, and that last band was particularly good.
No problem

And yeah, MU is one of my favorite groups in recent years...

Highly recommended!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
Ambient Epicuro
Regular Freak
Ambient Epicuro will become famous soon enoughAmbient Epicuro will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

You should definitely check Carbon Based Lifeforms.
Ambient Epicuro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient Epicuro View Post
You should definitely check Carbon Based Lifeforms.
Yus.

STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9) for sure

Bonobo, Emancipator, Tycho, Trentemøller

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
okdog123
Learning The Ropes
okdog123 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

bohren & der club of gore
Deep dark slow jazz, really heavy
okdog123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #16
Kitch
Microknight
Kitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MC
Western New York
MC Status: 745909

Carbon Based Lifeforms is amazing..Tycho and Bonobo are good as well..

Hammock is a nice chilled-out band..

STS9. Yes!

Where are my festival peeps in here?

I wouldn't really consider STS9 downtempo though. Maybe some of their songs...But, since we're talking about this type of music LOTUS is amazing live..Papadosio is another one I enjoy quite a bit

Kitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #17
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460

Quote:
Sadly, having schlepped through 2 foot deep mud specifically to see them on the last day of a totally washed out Glade festival, it became very clear why they never recorded anything as evidence.
LOL

I was in an improvisational space/downtempo/jam/trippy/noise band. Core instruments were synth, live drums (both trap and percussionist) live bass, theramin/flute player, and I played guitar. About 90% of what we recorded in 2 years (well over 100 hours of music) was "Interesting but shite". The other 10% is priceless. We once played a gig at a renegade rave in the woods of Maine.

Ravers didn't get it

PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #18
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
Carbon Based Lifeforms is amazing..Tycho and Bonobo are good as well..

Hammock is a nice chilled-out band..

STS9. Yes!

Where are my festival peeps in here?

I wouldn't really consider STS9 downtempo though. Maybe some of their songs...But, since we're talking about this type of music LOTUS is amazing live..Papadosio is another one I enjoy quite a bit

Maybe STS9 isn't the downest of tempos, but they fit the live improvisation bill. I almost said Lotus too. I'd be interested to know who some of the new STS9-ish bands are these days. Ozric Tentacles is a relatively rare band to see, but if you catch them when they aren't too high they are cool. Again, pretty old-school by today's standards.

------------------
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #19
Kitch
Microknight
Kitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MCKitch is a savage MC
Western New York
MC Status: 745909

Yeah man I love ozric tentacles as well. Not to derail the thread but STS9/Lotus would be considered Jamtronica. There's a handful of bands around now that fit the description. Some that I would say fall in this category: The Disco Biscuits, EOTO, Papadosio, The Werks, Electron, The New Deal come to mind.

Kitch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #20
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
Yeah man I love ozric tentacles as well. Not to derail the thread but STS9/Lotus would be considered Jamtronica.
Yeah, we got off track after STS9. Of course they are jamtronica, but ya know, they improvise, live, electronically. Thanks for those other suggestions. I'm a New Deal fan too. I didn't say them because I don't think you can even make the downtempo argument there.

Are any of them relatively new? It seems like most good jamtronica is a generation old these days. Maybe the format is just different.

I guess we have a lot of artists now who write music, then tour with a band. Pretty Lights, Tycho, AWOLNATION, and Opiuo come to mind.

Advertisements

------------------