IDMF Artist Collective Project
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-16-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6952383
Thanked 3,859 Times in 2,566 Posts
IDMF Artist Collective Project

Okay here we go.

Message me for dropbox invite and link if you do not have it.

Soundcloud page...[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Updated Project details.

1) [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

2) Message me your email, so I can add you to the dropbox folder.
3) Copy your folder (with your 10 samples or less) from your computer to the shared dropbox folder.
4) Project officially starts November 1, but you can get started submitting samples now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
Would a collective effort betray the spirit of QAWM? I don't mean a compilation of tracks by different artists, more along the lines of an artist collective. Say 8 people agree on a concept and work with each other's material. Maybe that's even harder to achieve than making an album on your own, maybe it works as pressure to actually do something, I dunno...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
So how about this:

Name: IDMF Collective
Time Frame: 3 months, starting November 1- February 1
First 2 weeks everyone submits samples to a dropbox
Perhaps vote someone to make sure samples are quality up to par, and that we have enough to choose from.
Week 3-8 everyone makes a track using samples, or if you would like to collab with another person.
week 9 everyone posts their finished track to a IDMF Soundcloud.
Maybe have another month where stems to each finished track can be remixed- stems can be made available on dropbox.

End of 3 months everyone votes on best 5-10 tracks, remixed and originals.

Someone could volunteer to master tracks, or they can just be as they are.

Make a Bandcamp page for the IDMF finished tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Pretty much what I had in mind.

We need to think about the stems/samples that are submitted. Need to maybe have some guidelines and not sure if it's possible, but maybe have a drop box of folders ie drums, bass, leads, pads, synths, efx and so on. Also some rules in tagging samples. So for example everyone submitting a stem has their tag next to it for identifying whats what in terms of origin, maybe include tempo/bpm/key and so forth? Need to avoid a dropbox clusterfuck of samples I'm thinking.

As an idea maybe midi patterns could be dropped in if relevant.

Maybe a minimum and maximum number of files per person?

Great plan, get it moving before

Last edited by Muse-ic; 10-18-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
PROton42 (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963048
Thanked 1,144 Times in 880 Posts
Re: IDMF Artist Collective Project

this sounds interesting

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14610

getting hype

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

It sounds interesting but as it is now it is too loose and more than a collective work it sounds like more like individuals working on other people's samples.
I personally would limit the amount of people, maybe stick to a daw and work on a single song at a time. A single thread or email chain would be needed to discuss progress and criticize the work. Much harder, but it would be more of a group effort.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001541
Thanked 6,682 Times in 4,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
It sounds interesting but as it is now it is too loose and more than a collective work it sounds like more like individuals working on other people's samples.
I personally would limit the amount of people, maybe stick to a daw and work on a single song at a time. A single thread or email chain would be needed to discuss progress and criticize the work. Much harder, but it would be more of a group effort.
lol, I was just about to say:

Hey, I'd advise keeping your rules as loose as possible to keep the numbers up.
Making people do a load of administrative work before they've even started can be a buzz kill.
I'd say don't worry about the small things like file names too much. If that's how you like to work then go ahead and do that when you dl the files yourself.

But yeah, I can see what Auto is saying but honestly it's so hard to get a set of rules that a collective all agree on, nevermind assigning specific chains and set times for working on stuff.
I guess if you're into these rules then get involved, if not then don't.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

the samples submission need a strong guideline, seems too wide at the moment, unless you want some cryptic/glitchy songs that sound more like sound design rather than " musical "

and the time frame is way too big, i would personally lose interest after 15 days and am sure am not the only one, the last time we collaborated for an IDMF compilation, it was direct, short and efficient, most submissions were made like in one week or two, it was really fun

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12445983

I agree on the sample guidelines. I think we don't want a huge sea of samples. Maybe it makes sense to just use our own?

I like the time frame because I don't have as much spare time as I used to. Maybe more focus on the final result make sense? Are we going to structure this like an album or will it be all over the place like a sampler? Are people going to work together on tracks or is this an individual thing?

In any rate, I'm in.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Yeah, I get what you are saying. The second part is left up to each person to organize their own collective so to speak. There are no fast and hard rules so if (x amount) of people want to work in one DAW, on one song they can still do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
I agree on the sample guidelines. I think we don't want a huge sea of samples. Maybe it makes sense to just use our own?

I like the time frame because I don't have as much spare time as I used to. Maybe more focus on the final result make sense? Are we going to structure this like an album or will it be all over the place like a sampler? Are people going to work together on tracks or is this an individual thing?

In any rate, I'm in.
I think the time frame is good as people are busy. I find even a month sometimes is tough when you have things going on.

I think it would be cool to structure the end result as an album.

At the end of the two weeks we can try the samples and then we could collectively narrow the list down to a select few?

Last edited by Muse-ic; 10-16-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Who would prefer to all work on one song as a group?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

If you guys figure out what's going on, I'll happily join in, whether it be collective or individual, anyone who would like to work with me on a song just let me know I think this is going to be fun. End result should be interesting. And as far as the samples are concerned, should probably have a slightly more strict guideline(s) for them. Can't just have an ocean of samples, that'd be inefficient. Would take a month just to rifle through them all. Any genre specifically?

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Welcome, we will have everything ironed out in the next few days. I am not even sure how many people are in this.

Who is in for sure?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Welcome, we will have everything ironed out in the next few days. I am not even sure how many people are in this.

Who is in for sure?
90% probability (depends on the "ironing")

------------------
Quote:
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

I'm in.

------------------
Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
ArkXive
Granular Poster
ArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of light
Philly
MC Status: 460

Im definitely in if things get crisply ironed!

------------------
NOSTRA FANTASIUM EP [Jungle/Juke/Rave] out now on Tribal Sound :

ArkXive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644018
Thanked 4,895 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'm in if we keep it to each artist working on their own track, collab being optional. I like that better than the large group effort on one piece or a series of pieces. I also like the longer time frame but maybe a compromise to 45 or 60 days instead of 90 would be prudent here.

For samples I have my entire idmf release (43) already stemmed out zipped up and ready I could provide or just one track from the listing. Whatever works.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

How is this a collective project if everyone works on its own track?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
lolirl (10-19-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
How is this a collective project if everyone works on its own track?
An artist collective can be defined as many things. Just the fact a group of people are coming together to make something, discuss the parameters could be a collective project in itself. The idea is to have a common core of samples to work from and then collaboratively work towards an album.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

We should also wear matching outfits while producing the tracks, like a sports team.

------------------
Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #19
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler

I can master songs if needed. I'm not a Wizard at doing it, but I can still make them sound decently loud and full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
We should also wear matching outfits while producing the tracks, like a sports team.
This NEEDS TO BE A THING

------------------
Quote:
Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Do we want to have a common theme?

Advertisements