Beat Battle Archive
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926
Beat Battle Archive

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, IDMf Beat Battles are officially back! I decided to make the battles bi-weekly for now, as suggested by some. So you have a sample pack, two weeks to make music out of it, and a few simple rules to follow...

RULES REMINDER

The Battle Host must provide a sound set to be used for the battle. All participants then have five days to make a tune using that sound set EXCLUSIVELY. Sounds can be anything, provided that the Battle Host has the right to distribute them. This basically means:
- sounds created and/or recorded by the Host
- samples or recordings under a Creative Commons "copyleft" license
- recordings in the public domain

No other sound sources may be used. This means, generally speaking, that drum samples and clean bass sounds will be welcome by most, but they are not required. If you want people to make music out of a 2-second white noise burst, more power to you.

The Battle Host must create THREE additional rules. These can be anything. Genre, time signature, number of tracks, you name it. Do your worst, and remember that limitations are usually good for the creative process, especially on a deadline.

Those additional rules may NOT simply override the general rules. That is, "you may use synthesizers" is not a valid rule. However, additional rules CAN contradict the general rules as long as they do add a requirement. So for example, "submissions must contain your own vocals", "you must use a sample from an old public domain movie of your choice" or even "you must include a wobble bass you created yourself" are okay. And yes, "you must include synthesizers" is a cop-out

Submissions must be posted in the battle thread in streamable form.

The winner is voted by the participants by posting in the battle thread. The Host does not enter the battle but does get to vote. In case of a draw, the Host has the final say. Votes open at midnight on the 11th day and close at midnight on the 13th. Let's make that GMT to keep it simple.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until midnight on the 14th day to post a new thread with a new sound set and new rules.

IDMf Beat Battle 2.1 DEADLINES

Submissions will end at 23:59 GMT on tuesday, september 9th. Voting will then be open.
Voting will end at 23:59 GMT on thursday, september 11th.
The winner will have until 23:59 GMT on friday, september 12th to create a new post with a new challenge.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

IDMf Beat Battle 2.1 ADDITIONAL RULES

1. YOU MUST USE ALL THE SAMPLES IN THE SET
2. IN ADDITION, YOU MUST USE SOME KIND OF RHODES PIANO SOUND OR APPROXIMATION THEREOF
is a free one if you don't have one handy
3. YOU MUST INCLUDE A TEMPO CHANGE (DOUBLE TIME/HALF TIME IS OKAY)

There you have it. A rather easy one to get things started. Get creative with it!

So, we used to have those weekly beat battles and they used to be fun, but it kind of petered out due to various issues, one being visibility. Hopefully this Community projects forum allows for more exposure.

THE RULES

The Battle Host must provide a sound set to be used for the battle. All participants then have five days to make a tune using that sound set EXCLUSIVELY. Sounds can be anything, provided that the Battle Host has the right to distribute them. This basically means:

No other sound sources may be used. This means, generally speaking, that drum samples and clean bass sounds will be welcome by most, but they are not required. If you want people to make music out of a 2-second white noise burst, more power to you.

The Battle Host must create THREE additional rules. These can be anything. Genre, time signature, number of tracks, you name it. Do your worst, and remember that limitations are usually good for the creative process, especially on a deadline.

Those additional rules may NOT simply override the general rules. That is, "you may use synthesizers" is not a valid rule. However, additional rules CAN contradict the general rules as long as they do add a requirement. So for example, "submissions must contain your own vocals", "you must use a sample from an old public domain movie of your choice" or even "you must include a wobble bass you created yourself" are okay. And yes, "you must include synthesizers" is a cop-out

The winner is voted by the participants. The Host does not enter the battle but does get to vote. In case of a draw, the Host has the final say. Votes open at midnight on the fifth day and close at midnight on the sixth. Let's make that GMT to keep it simple.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until midnight on the seventh day to post a new thread with a new sound set and new rules.

And that's pretty much it. If there is any interest I'll kick it off and post the first battle on friday. If you have any comments on how to improve the rules please do tell.

Last edited by lebeux; 08-29-2014 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Thought I'd tidy this up a bit instead of having 2 threads about the same thing.

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Weekly Beat Battle

This is cool. Yes, I'm in.

Just one questions: do participants 'officially' sign up, or is it just 'whoever wants, make something by set day'? Having members sign up makes it more 'official' and will help with the timing, but it may also make it seem restricted.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

It's open to everyone from the moment the soundset is posted. Whoever submitted something gets to vote.
Oh and I forgot to add, the Host is not in competition.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963048
Thanked 1,144 Times in 880 Posts

sample collections for the revived beat battle

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80986680
Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,555 Posts

Will it still happen in the beat battle group discussion forum ?
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74604610
Thanked 1,234 Times in 854 Posts

ill do this while still keeping it mind i think it will fizzle out quick like the last beat battles

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Trebesch
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye
MC Status: 8598981

I think if it was less frequent, it might last longer. Perhaps fortnightly? But then again I could be talking out of my arse and it would make it worse.
Trebesch is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507280
Thanked 6,327 Times in 4,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Will it still happen in the beat battle group discussion forum ?
Fuck. No. ; p

I also agree doing it like every other week might be good. There are a core group of community project participants we are relying on.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744005641
Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,218 Posts

Maybe let the guy who can be arsed to resurrect this run it how he likes for a bit and see how it goes, yeah?
Nobody is saying you must participate in every one, in fact it would probably be more interesting if it was varied up a bit tbh.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Thanks to lolirl
lebeux (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

I dunno, I have a feeling if you give people two weeks they'll just slack off until the last few days anyway and the final turnout will be more or less the same. I know I would tbh

Last edited by lebeux; 08-28-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Thanks to lebeux
Trebesch (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Little bumpage before we go.

might as well try the 2-week thing after all, at least the first time. see if wee get people to jump in.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12445983

Oh shit!

Battle revival!

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks
Thanks to surgeongeneral
lebeux (08-28-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid
IDMF Beat Battle 2.1

Ladies and gentlemen, IDMf Beat Battles are officially back! I decided to make the battles bi-weekly for now, as suggested by some. So you have a sample pack, two weeks to make music out of it, and a few simple rules to follow...

RULES REMINDER

Submissions must be posted in the battle thread in streamable form.

The winner is voted by the participants by posting in the battle thread. The Host does not enter the battle but does get to vote. In case of a draw, the Host has the final say. Votes open at midnight on the 11th day and close at midnight on the 13th. Let's make that GMT to keep it simple.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until midnight on the 14th day to post a new thread with a new sound set and new rules.

IDMf Beat Battle 2.1 DEADLINES

Submissions will end at 23:59 GMT on tuesday, september 9th. Voting will then be open.
Voting will end at 23:59 GMT on thursday, september 11th.
The winner will have until 23:59 GMT on friday, september 12th to create a new post with a new challenge.

IDMf Beat Battle 2.1 ADDITIONAL RULES

1. YOU MUST USE ALL OF THE SAMPLES IN THE SET
2. IN ADDITION, YOU MUST USE SOME KIND OF RHODES PIANO SOUND OR APPROXIMATION THEREOF
is a free one if you don't have one handy
3. YOU MUST INCLUDE A TEMPO CHANGE (DOUBLE TIME/HALF TIME IS OKAY)

There you have it. A rather easy one to get things started. Get creative with it!

Last edited by lebeux; 08-29-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12445983
Re: IDMF Beat Battle 2.1

I'm in.

Thanks lebeux for doing this and filling the beat battle sized hole in my heart.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
Trebesch
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye

Quick question, do we have to incorporate that "FeelGoodFeel" track in some way?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Yes and no. You have to use it as a sound source. it can be a single drum hit or a single wave cycle. It can be processed beyond recognition.
Believe me, if you stick to these battles for a few editions you'll be amazed at the things you'll learn about torturing audio to make it do what you want. I think all former participants will agree with me on this.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
Trebesch
Isle of Skye

I'm assuming we're just posting submissions here? I've done mine already in case I end up forgetting about it. Hopefully it doesn't sound like several tracks stuck together.
Thanks to Trebesch
lebeux (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

That's actually pretty nice. Oldschool IDM vibes
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts

Count me in!

P.S. nice effort Trebesch

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
Trebesch
Isle of Skye

Thanks guys, I look forward to see what everyone else comes up with

Advertisements

Beat Battle Archive Tags
beat battle, beatbattle
Closed Thread