Thinking about becoming a DJ - Advice?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch
Noizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Thinking about becoming a DJ - Advice?

I've been producing edm/dubstep for a little over a year now, and since I'm taking a semester off from school, I think it might be a fun hobby to become a DJ and maybe I can even promote my own tunes a little. I have also been a musician playing in bands for about 8 years now, so I have plenty of musical performance experience.

What I don't know, is how the scene works, the standards as far as equipment, technique, etc. I would like to incorporate some elements of live performance into my sets when possible, via midi drum pads, guitar, etc. I just don't know what the norm is, as far as this stuff goes.
So, if any of you guys DJ, what do you use and how do you do it?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Noizemaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Marcus Quarter
Minor Glitch
Marcus Quarter will become famous soon enough
Vienna
MC Status: 60
Re: Thinking about becoming a DJ - Advice?

hey ho

im djing for about 5 or 6 years now.

The best advice i can give you is:
JUST DIVE INTO IT!

I was in a club and listened to this dj and the next day i said: i want to become a dj
I bought my DJ set up and just started to learn by myself without any tutorials...
Finding your own djing style will be a point of setting yourself apart from other djs.
You can start with vinyl (oldschool, and everyone will love you and think you are COOL), or with CD Players. I would seriously not start with traktor or any visual djing programm.
It fucks up your way of learning to dj. You will be always attracted to the visual waveform and not the audio.
Try to learn it by ear not by your eyes!

Now to your questions:

The scene:
its hard to get a nice residency somewhere, MAKE CONTACTS!
The setup:
PIONEER! i know, its expensive but its worth it!
I started with the Pioneer 400 Setup (2x CDJ400, 1xDJM 400)
i bought them used for like 1000 and i had them for over 2 years.
Headphones:

Low Budget: AKG k81 dj
High Budget: Sennheiser HD25-C2

What i use now?

3xCDJ2000, DJM900
Sennheiser HD25-C2 and Beats by Dre Mixr

I hope i could help you with this
Marcus Quarter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch
Noizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Quarter View Post
hey ho

im djing for about 5 or 6 years now.

The best advice i can give you is:
JUST DIVE INTO IT!

I was in a club and listened to this dj and the next day i said: i want to become a dj
I bought my DJ set up and just started to learn by myself without any tutorials...
Finding your own djing style will be a point of setting yourself apart from other djs.
You can start with vinyl (oldschool, and everyone will love you and think you are COOL), or with CD Players. I would seriously not start with traktor or any visual djing programm.
It fucks up your way of learning to dj. You will be always attracted to the visual waveform and not the audio.
Try to learn it by ear not by your eyes!

Now to your questions:

The scene:
its hard to get a nice residency somewhere, MAKE CONTACTS!
The setup:
PIONEER! i know, its expensive but its worth it!
I started with the Pioneer 400 Setup (2x CDJ400, 1xDJM 400)
i bought them used for like 1000 and i had them for over 2 years.
Headphones:

Low Budget: AKG k81 dj
High Budget: Sennheiser HD25-C2

What i use now?

3xCDJ2000, DJM900
Sennheiser HD25-C2 and Beats by Dre Mixr

I hope i could help you with this
Thanks for the reply!!!

Questions for you:
Is using vinyl/cds really worth it for an EDM DJ? Using something like traktor seems so much more efficient and easy. How does vinyl even work for digital music?
As for coming up with my own style, are there any guidelines or standards of what is expected of a DJ? I would like to add some elements of live instrumentation into my sets, but I don't know the norms or practicality as far as that goes.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch

One additional question: To get gigs, do you need a booking agency or anything like that? I've been a musician for awhile, but have never done anything professionally, and I've seen some guys using them.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740305
Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,618 Posts

Find a willing group of girls to train you up in controlling your excitement for the amount of FFFFFFM blowjobs you'll be getting as THE DJ.
Cypherclerk is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508180
Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,551 Posts

I would go out and get involved in your local scene before you start throwing mix CDs in people's faces. Show up to nights EARLY and offer to help setup. Then STAY LATE and offer to help tear down. Actually make friends with people. Don't come off all "Imma DJ GIMME A GIG". Also, lol@booking agents...for entry level gigs you aren't going to be playing a club or festival that deals with booking agents. You are wanting to look for some grass roots, local DJ nights.

And no. You don't need CDJs or need to play vinyl. In fact, in this day and age I would call it a waste of money if you are playing brostep, complextro, big room or any of the huge festival genres...none of your fans or the promoters will care.

Be humble. Be helpful. Be a real person. If you are doing it for any reason besides wanting to make people dance (or fist pump, as the case may be) don't even bother starting because you will end up disappointed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch

Thanks for the replies!
Another dumb question: How much do entry level gigs pay? Now obviously not big bucks, which is fine because I'm not in it for the money, but I would like to cover my transportation costs, etc.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

...you'll be lucky to get free drinks dude.

------------------
Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Ocelaught
Minor Glitch
Ocelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura about
U.S.A
MC Status: 210

Don't use The Air horn Sample.
Ocelaught is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ocelaught
PROton42 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch

Just another thought - I don't need to buy amps/monitors/pa system right? The venues should be supplying all of that?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279334
Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizemaker View Post
How does vinyl even work for digital music?
yeahhhhhhh maybe stay away from vinyl

hate to be discouraging and would normally never do it but if i were you id think hard about why you want to do it

then buy what you want to buy

oh and do some research... no offense but im not sure you fully know what a DJ is

god bastardmasterbrown is back

soz bud

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #12
SJackson
Banned
SJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Expect to spend a bunch of money on equipment to start, and not to get paid for a while.

The best advice is that, when you are DJing, only play OutKast tracks. Mix them up however you see fit, but keep it to OutKast. Seriously.
SJackson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #13
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
yeahhhhhhh maybe stay away from vinyl

hate to be discouraging and would normally never do it but if i were you id think hard about why you want to do it

then buy what you want to buy

oh and do some research... no offense but im not sure you fully know what a DJ is

god bastardmasterbrown is back

soz bud
To be honest, I don't really know what a DJ is. All I know, is that its some guy who plays cool music to entertain a crowd. And you have to edit/align the tracks so the transitions are smooth and maybe throw in a mashup of two tracks.

My goal is to add some elements of live instrumentation into my sets, via drum samplers, midi keyboard, misa tri-bass, etc.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #14
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch

Also, I presume Traktor/Kontrol S2 is a good setup? From what I can see, its pretty popular.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
martin davies
Minor Glitch
martin davies will become famous soon enoughmartin davies will become famous soon enough
Isle Of Wight
MC Status: 110

Most booth set ups carry Pioneer CDJ's so buy at least one to learn the ropes on. Mix Mix Mix! Put out as many mixes of your material online as possible with maybe a radio show too. This should build up momentum with gigs being offered if you are good enough of course. Its all about contacts so get out and about in your local scene. The gigs will come if you spend the time learning to build a set.

Kit - you really need your own system at home! Dont rely on mixing in your headphones! It gets really loud in a club and monitors are not always best placed!

Good luck!
martin davies is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
TANQIR
Soundwave Mangler
TANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to behold
Melbourne
MC Status: 660

Just go for it man, i have a dream of it too! i absolutely love it, i make my own music but it sounds like shit so it doesn't really bother me, i have 2 cdj900s and a djm800 at home that i practice on.. not making a mixtape just yet, but once piece of advice i can give you is don't take the advice you get on here too seriously..

Get advice from people who want to be where you want to be, or have been!
TANQIR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@ Martin Davies Serious question: you've been offered a gig or known someone that has been offered a gig because they put a bunch of mixes up online? Sorry, not trolling that just seems somewhat unlikely to me.

Last edited by relic; 08-11-2014 at 04:05 PM..

------------------
Thanks to relic
TANQIR (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
TANQIR
Soundwave Mangler
TANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to beholdTANQIR is a splendid one to behold
Melbourne
MC Status: 660

come again the question doesn't make sense?
TANQIR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANQIR View Post
come again the question doesn't make sense?
Opps. Wasn't meant for you ;p Edited my post.

------------------
Old 08-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797

I just see an event and ask to be in it and then I'm in it. Also get contacts who host raves and gigs and whatnot, talk to the host and ask to be in the next one, simple and easy.

EDM doesn't need vinyls, it's about buying individual tracks from the webs with licenses or something.

Advertisements

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote