Feedback
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

Old 14-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Macaluso
Regular Freak
Macaluso has a spectacular aura aboutMacaluso has a spectacular aura about
Delray Beach
MC Status: 160
Feedback

Rules against posting links based off member count are counter productive and serve no purpose when in place simply to be in place.

For the prevention of spam, I get it. I'm a mod at a significantly larger forum.

But when I introduce myself, and another member asks to be linked to my music, while wanting to share theirs, as well as become friends in the process, and posts are deleted simply bc rules have been broken, the essence of a community is lost.

I get it too, consistency. But if the mods are actively micro managing posts in such a way already, they can simply weed out what is obviously spam and leave be what is obviously the coming together of a group of people with good vibes and good intentions.

The whole reason I joined up was actually bc while lurking, I found the responses to many noobish questions to be those formed from intolerance. From an outsider's perspective, it is as if this forum advocates elitism.

If it simply is what it is, it is quite sad and reflects poorly on the music producing community. Musicians collaborating and sharing tips/tricks/techniques is what it used to be all about. Hope this is taken constructively - I still plan to stick around and help, especially when others insist on the opposite.

Advertisements

Macaluso is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaluso View Post
Rules against posting links based off member count are counter productive and serve no purpose when in place simply to be in place.
Part of the purpose the rules serve is to deter people from seeing this as yet another facebook/soundcloud social media lolz environment where they can just say: "Hi - check out my tunes: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

In most cases the people who spam the introductions threads with their links are new members with less than 30 posts who cannot post in the Listening Booth yet - so they try their luck elsewhere. Very few of those people stick around for very long. However - the people who stick to the rules and take a look around and get involved in the forum for a while are usually those that stay and contribute in a meaningful way.

Quote:
But when I introduce myself, and another member asks to be linked to my music, while wanting to share theirs, as well as become friends in the process, and posts are deleted simply bc rules have been broken, the essence of a community is lost.
Community is built with meaningful interaction. There is no community 'essence' to be found in the majority of soundcloud-containing posts in the Introductions section. It's a trend we see over and over and it's easier to just have the rules and be done with it before it turns to a spamfest. The few people who are being genuine with their posts & intentions must unfortunately live under the same roof as the majority of people who just want to spam.

And really - 30 posts is a drop in the bucket.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421870229
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,803 Posts

Meh. I've stuck around and managed to post over 10,000 times which is something I've never even come CLOSE to in other forums (second highest would be just over 100 at a place I joined 12 years ago). I per used forums for a while back in the day, and this is, by far, the best.

I don't believe this place encourages elitism, and being someone who's asked noob questions in other forums before I joined here, this place is nothing compared to them.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Macaluso
Regular Freak
Delray Beach

Konichiwa gozaimasu.

Took Japanese I, II in college, and that's about all I can remember outside of asking for a bathroom and introducing myself.

With respect, you did join in 2009 and its entirely feasible to say that your perception of newness may have faded some lol.

Again, this is feedback as a new member, from a new member's perspective. Take it for what you will.
Old 14-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.

Nah, there's actually fewer elitist assholes here now than there were when I joined. Guys like Phile and Shotguns were incredibly insulting to just about everyone. Not sure what threads you're viewing but keep in mind if they're JayMSay threads, there's a reason for the shenanigans.

Quote:
Konichiwa gozaimasu.

Took Japanese I, II in college, and that's about all I can remember outside of asking for a bathroom and introducing myself.
Hate to break it to you, but "konnichiwa gozaimasu" is not a correct phrase. .

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Thanks to Vlantis
Suiyoubi (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Update: just checked and it looks like you've replied to a few JayMSay threads. Yeah.....don't judge the rest of the forums based on his threads.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Thanks to Vlantis
Kvlt O))) (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

At what significantly larger forum are you a moderator? Because if it's different in nature, ie a flashlight, pen twirling, or hell even a car forum, people's motivation for wanting to post links right out of the gate would be quite different than it is in a forum like this, and that's where the problem lies.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Macaluso
Regular Freak
Delray Beach

My aptitude for foreign languages has been revealed.

JayM or anyone else - they're just too new to production to even know to right the ask questions or in the right way. Maybe my level of patience is just high, but I see threads like his and want to help.
Thanks to Macaluso
Vlantis (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
You can just send them a private message? I believe you can put links in there (no matter how many posts).

Quote:
The whole reason I joined up was actually bc while lurking, I found the responses to many noobish questions to be those formed from intolerance. From an outsider's perspective, it is as if this forum advocates elitism.
I don't see elitism a lot (I see smartasses a lot, mostly in the side room). I definitely see a divide between the IDM and EDM scenes here and that's understandable because they're completely different ends of the current electronic music spectrum. Some people are just mad cunts and totally passionate about the IDM thing here.

I think we give a lot of slack to noob questions from users who genuinely have some desire to learn and start to figure things out for themselves instead of those who come here and make a thread for every decision they're faced with in their musical endeavors.

(IDM is kind of a dead scene anyways and this is more of a reliquary and appreciation society)

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Macaluso
Regular Freak
Delray Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
At what significantly larger forum are you a moderator? Because if it's different in nature, ie a flashlight, pen twirling, or hell even a car forum, people's motivation for wanting to post links right out of the gate would be quite different than it is in a forum like this, and that's where the problem lies.
So pre-judge and determine everyone's intention? It leaves a bad taste. So does deleting completely friendly, welcoming, well-intended posts. As for where else I mod, I'd rather keep that to myself since to me, it is irrelevant.
Old 14-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

It's relevant because if it's, let's say a bowling forum, people's intention for wanting to post links would be different. I doubt the primary goal of someone joining bowling forum and wanting to post links would be to spam pictures of their bowling team all around and leave.

What I'm saying is your experience over there doesn't necessarily translate to what happens here just because it's a forum.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Oatbag (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
So does deleting completely friendly, welcoming, well-intended posts. As for where else I mod, I'd rather keep that to myself since to me, it is irrelevant.
I see, posts in your intro thread were deleted. I can think of a couple reasons that happened, and this came up a while back as well where we stripped the intro threads to just bare text because it got advertising/feedback heavy. We have sections of the forums for sharing music and feedback, and currently nowhere is there a section of the forums for people to just post links to their music hoping for a bite, for that is kind of spam.

So there was a lot of promo that wasn't yours going on there outside of your initial post (which is kind of rude to the OP of the introduction thread, in my opinion) in a thread not meant for it, and I would imagine the moderator who deleted the posts just saw it as a lot of bad noise. It's the kind of thing that we would get rid of anywhere else in the forum.

EDIT: It's just a silly introduction thread, really X3

Last edited by PROton42; 14-06-2014 at 02:31 PM..

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
scyn (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
eery
Soundwave Mangler
eery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond repute
Gjøvik
MC Status: 3910

Quote:

Most of the time I feel this is because the questions are so easily answered, that a simple google search, or just some simple research will fix the problem. Jaym's threads for instance, are usually questions that try to be sort of easy to answer, or reduntant (Should I put basslines ON the kick or NOT?! WOAH WHATS GOING ON WITH THIS FEKKIN PIANO?!)

You might call this eltism, but honestly, I started out with just googling whatever question I had, or trying to figure it out myself, and that worked fine for me 2 years. Why would you ask what a lowpass is? Why not just twist a knob and see what happens? If you still cant figure it out, why not google it?

I dont think expecting people to have common sense is elitism.

------------------

"Get yourself together, man. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates… eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company."
eery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to eery
Vlantis (14-06-2014)
Old 14-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
So does deleting completely friendly, welcoming, well-intended posts. As for where else I mod, I'd rather keep that to myself since to me, it is irrelevant.
Also kinda sucks when you ask for a reply then ignore the bulk of what was said to you. I already addressed the fact that the majority of people posting links in the Introductions section are just there to spam their links and leave again. Yet you're still harking on about posts being deleted in the Introductions section.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Macaluso
Regular Freak
Delray Beach

I was enjoying my thread and speaking to seemingly friendly people. If their intentions were to spam my thread, I did not make that assumption or complain. It's all good people, I'll continue to provide help when I'm here if I can. Just offering some observations. If they fall on deaf ears, so be it. The bottom is still apparently, rules are rules, one must obey or deal with the consequences, typical but I figured I'd try. Enjoy your days people.
Old 14-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Most people with similar concerns wind up telling us to go fuck off and die.

+1 to you for handling that well.

------------------
Old 14-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
I was enjoying my thread and speaking to seemingly friendly people.
Just wait until you see the listening booth, it's like that times a million
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
PROton42 (17-06-2014)
Old 15-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
I was enjoying my thread and speaking to seemingly friendly people. If their intentions were to spam my thread, I did not make that assumption or complain. It's all good people, I'll continue to provide help when I'm here if I can. Just offering some observations. If they fall on deaf ears, so be it. The bottom is still apparently, rules are rules, one must obey or deal with the consequences, typical but I figured I'd try. Enjoy your days people.
Welcome to the forum. If you stick around I am sure you will get the rhythm and feel. I know when I first joined it appeared to be a playground for 13 year old boys. However, there is a great community that I have grown to enjoy and have learned quite a bit from this site and people here.

If you ask a legitimate question after maybe trying google or wiki, I think you will find many people are willing to help and give thoughtful advice.

If you are basing judgment on JAyMSay threads keep in mind he has started 69 threads during the six months he has been here. If you are a moderator I am sure you can understand that he is more interested in getting attention rather than answers. Not to mention some of his threads are ridiculous. Despite some of the smart ass answers people still give him thoughtful responses although he has already answered himself.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 15-06-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote