The ultimate IDMf Community project?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

View Poll Results: Add "hype" section for members personal projects etc
yes 30 81.08%
no 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Benwaa
The ultimate IDMf Community project?

Yes... possibly

Now, IDMf is widely hailed for it's community vibe and ways. One thing we'd like to try do is make it more of a community place, and to do that we need to all be involved to a certain degree. With that in mind, over the next god knows how long, we'd like us all to discuss what the rules should be of the forum, how do you feel about how they are now, what sections should have what in them and who should have access to what/what privileges etc.

obviously that's one massive mammoth of a task that could easily end up going nowhere fast in in circles yesterday.. so please keep it serious and stay on topic, you want to troll or joke make a post in the off topic thread

Also, we're going to do this in stages to keep it simple, and focus on one thing at a time.

So... first up...

We're going to start off with this area here - community projects. What should go in here? Who should be able to post in here? what constitutes a community project? do there need to be any sub forums for here, and what for? same questions etc what should the rules be.

discuss/suggest etc below

EDIT: INFO FOR POLL

would you like to see a "hype" section added for members personal projects? This would include an project a member is involved with but not an IDMf based one. The section would be for only approved posts and/or users over a certain post count limit. where we put this section and what it's posting requirements are are being discussed in the thread here along with the community projects area too.

Last edited by Benwaa; 13-06-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Advertisements

Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269466008
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,886 Posts
Re: The ultimate IDMf Community project?

I think this area should be dedicated to all those project that involve more than a couple of forum members, so things like "Album Writing Month", sound design challenges, Game Making Month etc.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031891
Thanked 7,289 Times in 4,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Given activity levels in the community projects area, is this even a thing to bother about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
keep it simple, and focus on one thing at a time.
Nice first post derail, very constructive.
Yes, we've decided it's worth bothering with what members think.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I think remix competitions should go in here, obviously. Also if you're posting a community project in this part of the forum it should already be organized I'd think. Like well thought out, with guidelines and dates, not just "anyone want to collab" type affairs.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388549
Thanked 5,091 Times in 3,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Nice first post derail, very constructive.
Yes, we've decided it's worth bothering with what members think.
I wasn't derailing. It was a genuine question. Unless there's a lot of stuff that gets deleted/nuked fast, I don't see a lot of need for policing and worrying about it. From what I've seen over time, there's not a huge amount going on at any given time in this particular forum, certainly not the muppetry that goes on elsewhere.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Mellow (19-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Yeah, we're trying to increase what goes on in there, get a few more things going, you know?
This is the first step.

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

I would suggest making sure everything stays organized, so perhaps use a main subforum (like this one) to organize the projects (so more for open discussions) and once there is an agreement and enough participants move it to a new dedicated sub-subforum. This way every project has all the space it needs and they don't disturb each other.
I don't know if making a lot of subforums is a problem? You could also limit the threads in the dedicated subforum to only the people who participate and perhaps give moderation to an organizer (if that would be useful).

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542180
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,990 Posts

I would like to see this section get stronger. All the different projects getting started here lately have been pretty exciting IMO. Love that the Album Writing Month got picked up as an official IDMf comm. project. Love that Auto took it upon himself to start the Game one as well.

I think this section is needed and should be nurtured. Having more interactive things going on besides discussion is essential the forum's future. And as Benwaa and the other admins cannot be running netlabel comps constantly it only makes sense for some of us who are IDMf fam to make the most of this forum.

Probably needs to be that you need a certain number of posts to start threads in here? Or new threads need Mod approval? I agree with RFJ that keeping the general one on one collabs out of here (dunno if it is even an issue). Other than that I dont know if making more rules will help.

I could see an argument for keeping "outside" remix comps and things out as well, though obviously I have vested interest in voting for letting outside remix comps etc reside here. I guess I would look at it this way: if it is a project that an active member is actually involved in at the ground level and is inviting the whole community to participate that seems kosher. But I wouldnt want to see a bunch of random Famous Producer X, New Song Y remix comps being spammed here. Totally not meant as a troll statement just an easy example: Skrillex or Burial dont need help promoting their remix comps.

Maybe a good general rule is only allow things that invite the entire community and help foster member projects whether internal or external?
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and his idea ...I think maybe long term or recurring projects could get stickied and things that will be rather temporary or one off could just stay unstickied....not complaining, but I feel like IDMf is already sub and sub-sub-forumed plenty ;p

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
I wasn't derailing. It was a genuine question. Unless there's a lot of stuff that gets deleted/nuked fast, I don't see a lot of need for policing and worrying about it. From what I've seen over time, there's not a huge amount going on at any given time in this particular forum, certainly not the muppetry that goes on elsewhere.

it's not just about activity either, it's one of the newer sections, so better to start with that then possibly re-writing rules and so on for an area that's been around for a while and confusing the fuck out of everyone with changes. this way we can ease into things and also use this as a test model for the rest of the rules and areas in the future depending on how this goes down.
the forum is somewhere were a lot of people come each day and it'd be good to try give the best experience possible for all, and what better way than involving the great community we have here that actually use it all on a day to day basis to do that
  Thanks
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I guess I would look at it this way: if it is a project that an active member is actually involved in at the ground level and is inviting the whole community to participate that seems kosher.
Can I ask how you would define a difference between what we would usually call spam (unwanted advertising) and "genuine" projects or is it literally just a matter of who brings it to the community?

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Can I ask how you would define a difference between what we would usually call spam (unwanted advertising) and "genuine" projects or is it literally just a matter of who brings it to the community?
Its a matter of grassroots projects versus people reposting big, big name things from facebook that clearly dont need community backing. Also, it would be nice to see things from active members...the good old 30 post thing perhaps?

The two things for me would be

Poster is involved in our community (dunno how we end up judging that).
Poster is involved in the project they are posting.
Its a grassroots, smaller time project that needs community support.

The latest Hyperdub remix contest doesnt need our help getting attention. While I might be interested in that, I think this is the wrong place for that.

edit: yea, I guess it is, mostly, who is bringing it to the tabel. But it is the community project sub forum, so that only makes sense to me.

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269466008
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,886 Posts

With remox contest I would be more discriminating.
If this is meant to be a community thread, then the remix contest is limited to forum members and forum based.
Even if it it was a Sound Mutation-related remix contest (just as an example, don't hate me for this you guys are doing great), and it's hosted on an external website for an external label, I wouldn't post it here.

But I admit I might be too strict.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
With remox contest I would be more discriminating.
If this is meant to be a community thread, then the remix contest is limited to forum members and forum based.
Even if it it was a Sound Mutation-related remix contest (just as an example, don't hate me for this you guys are doing great), and it's hosted on an external website for an external label, I wouldn't post it here.

But I admit I might be too strict.
Actually Auto I would find that a completely fair way to do things. Its a a good black/white rule with no gray area. Community Projects is only for internal projects. End of story.

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

So far, the community projects subforum seems to be used cleverly by the users. It seems that most people intuitively understand what "community projects" mean. And coincidently, I only see regular, active members post in here.
I think of the community projects as projects that encourage us to be creative together. I like that b³ posted about "playing piano over some music" in here. I think it's just the spirit. It's creative and it's about getting involved in doing something together.
I would also agree that it should be idmfers projects for idmfers to get involved in
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Its a a good black/white rule with no gray area.

Ignoring what the this is related to, i must stress it's easier for us all (mods especially) if we can come up with more solid black/white rules/guidelines for an area. it makes it easier to moderate, and easier for users to know where their stuff should go
  Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I think remix competitions should go in here, obviously. Also if you're posting a community project in this part of the forum it should already be organized I'd think. Like well thought out, with guidelines and dates, not just "anyone want to collab" type affairs.
Yeah I think having a deadline kinda helps to keep things moving along - even for the informal community projects. It makes more sense to come up with a fun idea - like the white noise comp - and close it after a month or two and have the person who started the thread collect all the tracks in the OP. When they stay open ended for too long they begin to feel like a ghost town.

Maybe this isn't the time for it & we can chat about it later...but I think it's maybe also worth considering setting up a bandcamp/soundcloud/youtube etc. in which to compile all the entries for a particular project (for things like the white noise comp). It sucks looking back over some of them and finding the majority of the submissions have been removed. I like the idea of an inspirational archive that's always there...always accessible.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

I like the Altered Echo Project in this section, to me it makes sense, especially as it really involves members here. Maybe outside projects that involve more than the users here could get approval? Just to keep future spamming out.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Muse-ic
Jaded (10-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Yeah I think having a deadline kinda helps to keep things moving along - even for the informal community projects. It makes more sense to come up with a fun idea - like the white noise comp - and close it after a month or two and have the person who started the thread collect all the tracks in the OP. When they stay open ended for too long they begin to feel like a ghost town.

Maybe this isn't the time for it & we can chat about it later...but I think it's maybe also worth considering setting up a bandcamp/soundcloud/youtube etc. in which to compile all the entries for a particular project (for things like the white noise comp). It sucks looking back over some of them and finding the majority of the submissions have been removed. I like the idea of an inspirational archive that's always there...always accessible.
I smell an idea of creating a Communty Projects Guidelines sticky here..absolutely right that the details matter....I love the second part as I am having trouble finding the time to go through all the MAWM tunes in a timely fashion...just as an example.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: yep...that is why I tend to agree with Auto's suggestion. Anything else is too hard to mod and that should be a priority when thinking about these changes as IDMf runs the love and dedication of volunteers who have lives etc.

------------------
Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

yep. basic rule of the community projects section should be
- projects initiated by idmfers
- that they want idmfers to take part in
- idmfers aren't hired for outside projects in that section
- com•mu•ni•ty (kəˈmyu nɪ ti) n., pl. -ties.
a group of people who reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
Lug is offline   Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
yep. basic rule of the community projects section should be
- projects initiated by idmfers
- that they want idmfers to take part in
- idmfers aren't hired for outside projects in that section
- com•mu•ni•ty (kəˈmyu nɪ ti) n., pl. -ties.
a group of people who reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

devil's advocate now:

-define projects initiated by idmfers
-obvious-
-see first point as they're related

Advertisements

Thanks
Closed Thread