First Dubstep Artist You Heard?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010
First Dubstep Artist You Heard?

I am definitely behind the curve. I don't claim to be the first to anything (though I discovered trap pretty early on by mistake). i came from a rock background, I've only been into electronic music for 5 years?

Dubstep has gone through a lot of changes, I started getting into it right before it blew up and then changed drastically. I remember going to shows and not knowing what it was except low rumble with creepy atmospheric sounds.

I was wondering where people first picked up on it, that's interesting to me.

The first time I remember hearing it and knowing what it was the artist was bass clef. I had been hearing dubstep style music since I moved to San Francisco and asked my friend what it was called and he said dubstep.

Advertisements

1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8534130
Thanked 6,864 Times in 4,889 Posts
Re: First Dubstep Artist You Heard?

The first time I heard Dubstep was at the VIRAM party at WMC in like...2006/7? I think I probably heard it before then, but thought it was some kind of weird DnB.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Mister_Lister
Minor Glitch
Mister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura aboutMister_Lister has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I think the first guy I came across was Excision, then naturally I heard about Datsik. I must say though, I think my favourite dubstep songs were those in Spitfire by Porter Robinson.
Mister_Lister is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
miikesher
Granular Poster
miikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nicemiikesher is just really nice
Naas, Kildare
MC Status: 410

Because of how little I knew at the time, Skrillex was probably my first introduction to dubstep. Looking back on it I wouldn't even call it dubstep.
miikesher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to miikesher
deadmau7 (18-07-2014)
Old 28-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
sebastian_g
Learning The Ropes
sebastian_g is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

hmmmm,actually it isn't exactly dubstep,but The Algorithm
sebastian_g is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

totally impossible to say. i was listening to a hundreds of artists on DubStep.FM and SubFM internet radio stations. Back in the day, around 2008 they were huge! Also listened to garagepressure on FBi radio Sydney internet radio. They used to play the best dubstep before brostep fell onto the scene and annoyed to heck everybody who wasnt turned on by it.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I think it was Tipper's Wobble Factor. Still a good album, imo.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Javaris Jamar
Soundwave Mangler
Javaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to beholdJavaris Jamar is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Either 16bit's remix of Shallow or Rusko's Pro Nails. I listened to brostep for a while because I thought it was some kind of natural progression even though I knew it sucked. Still listen to JVIZ earthquake weather on dubstep.fm, always some good music.
Javaris Jamar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80992630
Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,624 Posts

I was listening to a lot of Tipper, started to look into the people in his Fuel crew, the nu skool breaks stuff which isn't very far from dubstep. First dubstep I ever heard was probably "Bangin" by Si Begg.

Actually, it was probably Subvert's "Speaker Humpin'". And from there followed the path to excision and datsik and all those isolated bangers guys (downlink I remember too). Then broken note. Then didn't care so much
I had listened to Bassnectar's "underground communication" too and never really heard his dubstep stuff

Last edited by Lug; 01-05-2014 at 10:20 AM..
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

Walking around Ultra Music Fest in 2006, I stumbled upon bassnectar with a few friends. My jaw just dropped. He was playing Creation Lullaby and I just thought it was amazing, and unlike nothing I had ever heard before. This was in his breakbeat period, when he was doing the amazingly experimental stuff and had just released Mesmerizing the Ultra and Diverse Systems of Throb.

I followed his work closely after seeing that performance.
So whenever the crossed the breakbeat line into dubstep is when I first heard dubstep.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,900 Posts

this when it came out

fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Boxcutter - Oneiric LP

Still one of the best to this day.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
maestro_Zach
Minor Glitch
maestro_Zach is currently spamming hard
Miami

I wasn't a big fan of dubstep but it slowly became a bit appealing after I was surrounded by it from my friends. I still love progressive house but dubstep is okay for me in the right environment=p oh and skrillex i suppose. sorry for the mainstream
maestro_Zach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

lolhouse.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
Kvlt O))) (04-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
XanderBlake
Radial Developer
XanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Sukh Knight, and Chrispy. Don't remember when, long time ago though. I remember hearing Ganja and Diesel not Petrol before dubstep was even a "thing" on youtube. I was like "Woah, hoooo, wait a second. What's that sound?" and thus the love was born. Thank god too, if not for the insane difficulty of some dubstep mixes, my mixing would have stayed at pre-dub level and for me that was just shite.
XanderBlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59127276

I istened to Scorn in the 90's if that counts

If it doesn't, I don't really remember, probably Skream or Digital Mystikz... Really got into it around 2007/08 with stuff like Boxcutter, Distance and Ital Tek.

oh shit blast from the past
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
namegoeshere
Learning The Ropes
namegoeshere is currently spamming hard

I know it's mainstream, but flux pavilion and skrillex
namegoeshere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: gemini, noisia, flux pavilion, skrillex, tristam
Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neutral
deadmau7 (18-07-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8534130
Thanked 6,864 Times in 4,889 Posts

King Tubby WUT

fooking old skool SON

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lebeux (08-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
TheOfficialHexU