[FAWM] scyn's FAWM tunes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
[FAWM] scyn's FAWM tunes

. Quite tricky forcing yourself to get it finished so quickly...but it was nice not to spend too long on small sections and just roll with it. Quite like the second half and I reckon I'll go back to this later to tighten it up and maybe re-do the first half and sort out a better intro.

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

Track 6:

Track 7:

Last edited by scyn; 23-02-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts
Re: [FAWM] scyn's FAWM tunes

I hear what you mean about the first half, but I think it still works as is. Love the way the background and foreground contrast..the upfront base sounds and the far-off jazzy feel that I get from the background. Nice sense of space in there, too.

Nice one, dude. Looking froward to your next one.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

scyn music? wow! love the experimentalness of it. sounds like you went with a lot of quick gut reactions and got some cool sounds out of it.

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts

Hey man, this tune is huge : ) I like that whistling synth. But I agree that where it goes is much more interesting. Really liking that drenched guitar. I think the kick could do with a bit more of a high frequency transient because I'm loving that rolling pattern in the second half.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I like the beginning.

Like the whole thing actually. Is any of this your Nord? Love the way everything moves and evolves. I'm really impressed this was done in a day.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Wow, that was spectacular. Huge sound. I like how there all these elements but they blend into a cohesive total. Really like this...very atmospheric. And inspiring...back to music for me!

I like how you bring in more space at 1:16.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Thanks for the comments . Interesting with the jazz association.

: Yeah mate - decided to actually do some muzik again heh. And yeah - didn't stop to think much just took the first idea that came and left it. Even the bass playing was just a first take so I just left any mistakes in there and worked around it / smothered it with other things rather than doing it over and over. It was a fun process.

: Thanks. I started to fiddle with the kick drum and left it after a while as it was taking up too much time but yeah - if/when I revisit this ima take a look at that.

: Yep - the bass and that flutey, wandering high-pitched sound was the Nord. Again with that high pitched thing I recorded a take and left it and kind of worked the track around it a bit. The pitch bend on the nord is the most fantastic thing ever .

: Thanks for the kind words . Glad it inspired you and I'm looking forward to hearing your tunes too.
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (03-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

Really liking the top end of the reverb and the distorted sound. Sounds like a horn at points and then it sounds like stretched out gong or something metallic.

I will agree with stem about the experimenting. The main synths sound like they came from two different songs being taken on a ride with the drums and background noises shown throughout both.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
scyn
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Track 2 is up. Gah - again I've really wanted to work on it some more but I needed to finish this up tonight. I like what happened with this. The vocals could use some work and yeah it would be nice to work on a few sections some more but I'm happy with the overall feel of it.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Track # 02: Really smooth track, dude..REALLY liked it a lot! Brought back a lot of memories of ZZ TOP..Southern Comfort..old friends..and a girl I once knew.

Only problem is it wasn't long enough for me..could listen to that all night..and then some.

Thanks

------------------
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
scyn
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
Track # 02: Really smooth track, dude..REALLY liked it a lot! Brought back a lot of memories of ZZ TOP..Southern Comfort..old friends..and a girl I once knew.

Only problem is it wasn't long enough for me..could listen to that all night..and then some.

Thanks
Thanks AM. I really wanted to spend more time on it....could easily add another minute or two to the end to let it run and also to resolve that pattern more satisfactorily. Such is the way with fawm I guess . But hey - at least it's there to come back to once this is all done.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Thanks AM. I really wanted to spend more time on it....could easily add another minute or two to the end to let it run and also to resolve that pattern more satisfactorily. Such is the way with fawm I guess . But hey - at least it's there to come back to once this is all done.
Yeah..and I really hope you do..would love to download this one once you're done with it.

------------------
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Got the "track is unavailable" message.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
scyn
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Got the "track is unavailable" message.
Hmm it should be fine now I was busy swapping it for an updated version. Let me know if it's still down? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Muse-ic
Wanderer

It's working now, I must have clicked right in the middle of the swap.

Excellent. I really enjoyed it, I thought all the elements worked well together and it kept my interest to the very end. Love the rock influence.
Thanks to Muse-ic
scyn (04-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #16
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

1: Veeeery deep and ominous bass here, very full. Very spooky harmonies, choral and whistle tone. The percussion makes me kind of jealous.

2: Freaking love the glitchy robotic vocals. Brilliant distortion on that (possibly guitar?) processed lead. Those last couple bars are rockin.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536277
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,251 Posts

love how #2 has a somehow western feel to it.

neo-spaghetti western vibe.

like it could be a bar scene in Serenity.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Enjoying these two tracks, quite different, but they do relate to each other - what track will happen next, nobody knows with the FAWM?

How particularly do you do the atmospheric parts of the tracks. I am thinking particularly of the first?
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
neo-spaghetti western vibe.
I was getting more of a vibe like the Sopranos theme music.
Good stuff Scyn.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
scyn (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

haha, I'm feeling this. I'm imagining it being the soundtrack to people gearing up for something bad.

Advertisements

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
scyn (09-02-2014)