Korg MS20 mini
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 17-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Hippot
Soundwave Mangler
Hippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210
Korg MS20 mini

I know it is technically semi-modular, but I was curious if anyone here has one, and if so, what they thought about it as a synth and modular type system.

Advertisements

Hippot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533530
Thanked 6,852 Times in 4,879 Posts
Re: Korg Ms 20 mini

I forget if any of the local gear heads have one or not. You could check the last few pages in the sticky "The Hardware Thread" in The Studio sub forum.

I'm sure some people will pop here. I'm thinking of getting one myself as I'm wanting to add another analog monosynth to my set up.

The Doepfer Darkenergy II is also modular, you might look into it as well (no keyboard).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Hippot
Soundwave Mangler
Hippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud ofHippot has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

Yeah I have been reading about it and watching videos. Its a cheap entry into the world of modular, and it seems you can integrate independent modules that you may have or get later.
Hippot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
xmissacidx
Minor Glitch
xmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

i was thinking of starting off with something like this.
xmissacidx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

I want one so bad... I have a thread about this on the Logic forums, but no one really replied. Basically, the mini is the classic ms20, but with usb and midi options\smaller cabling. I highly encourage picking one up if you can in the US, because all of the korgs I see are from Europe, on Ebay. Gosh, I just love the analog warmth of the ms20, the fat basslines, the dials.. it just works - no wonder Korg decided to revamp this beautiful synth.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

I'll be getting one at some stage too. Gonna have it shipped from the US. I'm going to see if I can get the sequencer that was made for the original MS20 in '78.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
I'll be getting one at some stage too. Gonna have it shipped from the US. I'm going to see if I can get the sequencer that was made for the original MS20 in '78.
Are you sure the sequencer will be compatible with it? And how much would this sequencer cost?

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 26-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

If it is anything like the original ( which I had) then this will defiantly go on my wishlist for upcoming purchases.85% in size..so the footprint is a bit smaller.Saved desk space ...

I never had the sequencer wish I did...not sure how many are still floating around anymore and at what cost.

Cheers

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Aphexbeats (26-07-2013)
Old 26-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippot View Post
Yeah I have been reading about it and watching videos. Its a cheap entry into the world of modular, and it seems you can integrate independent modules that you may have or get later.
Most modules are v/OCT and the MS20 is hz/OCT, so to integrate you will need a module that converts the one to the other. Those kinds of modules are more readily available now, because of the new MS20's popularity.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
Are you sure the sequencer will be compatible with it? And how much would this sequencer cost?

I'm pretty sure it would be if its going top be an exact replica, its hooked up via CV so I'd say it would be fine. The SQ-10 is pretty rare and I've not seen one for sale yet.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

So I've been reading up on the Korg... I've heard that the Korg Legacy is also a good option, and it's cheaper. It's the Ms-20 with other plugins and such, but you control it from your daw. Any thoughts?

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 06-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Flux302
Microknight
Flux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud of
the first state
MC Status: 1260

I have one. I did a video comparing it to the ims20 (which is one of my favorite iOS apps.)
I like the ms20 a lot. if you don't have any other analog hardware it probably wouldn't be my first choose (build quality isn't the best and it is a pretty noisy synth, the mini/microbrute has a much more usable tone imho and better build quality)
that being said its pretty versatile with the dual VCO and Dual filters (technically it has 4 filters)

here is the video. (Also I have many videos of analog goodies being used in a DAW/Maschine environment)

Flux302 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 AM   #13
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux302 View Post
I have one. I did a video comparing it to the ims20 (which is one of my favorite iOS apps.)
I like the ms20 a lot. if you don't have any other analog hardware it probably wouldn't be my first choose (build quality isn't the best and it is a pretty noisy synth, the mini/microbrute has a much more usable tone imho and better build quality)
that being said its pretty versatile with the dual VCO and Dual filters (technically it has 4 filters)

here is the video. (Also I have many videos of analog goodies being used in a DAW/Maschine environment)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Do you think the minibrute is worth it though? I mean there is only so much you can get out of a mono synth and all.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533530
Thanked 6,852 Times in 4,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
Do you think the minibrute is worth it though? I mean there is only so much you can get out of a mono synth and all.
I dunno about the Mini...but the MicroBrute has a surprising amount to offer on it's own. Also consider that in a hybrid setup you can do all kinds of resampling and layering. For 300USD new...the MicroBrute is a no brainer IMO.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #15
Flux302
Microknight
Flux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud of
the first state
MC Status: 1260

Take a look at the used market. Minibrutes sell for roughly $400 add on a micro and then cv the two together. Very powerful mono synth setup.
Worth every penny
Flux302 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Flux302
relic (08-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #16
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

$400 is so much... I would love to have a minibrute though, but I'd probably have to sell my other synths to get one. I don't like the fact that the synths are monotimbral though, that's a shame. BTW @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, nice video! Your setup is really nice and you did a good job of comparing the synths in the video. Idk I don't see much point in buying an analog synth right now unless you want to make really good mono bass or noisy sounds. I'd still like to get my hands on a classic juno...

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #17
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

If they ever release a mini version of the VC-10,MS-10,SQ-10 then I will jump back in..I do mis my Original MS-20?SQ-10....but I suffice without it for the most part.

Seems only fair the re-release those other items to go along with it.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

Everyone I know who has one raves about it. It's a miniaturisation of the original circuit with the modern bells and whistles thrown in. In a side by side with the original MS-20 I've it was definitely very true to form.

That being said, everyone I know who has one, also has a heap of vintage analogue gear so their feelings for the mini come either from nostalgia or the simple enjoyment of yet another toy. I doubt any of them would be happy if they only had the mini...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Str8Jaketed (09-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #19
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I doubt any of them would be happy if they only had the mini...
i am... sorry.

------------------
(シ)// Reject all ambition to center yourself and find intuition. >> Homepage
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippot View Post
true dat! very versatile, was playing on my friends. Im saving up for one now

Advertisements

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote