Hi everybody, my name is Cedric, I am new to the forum and I am already asking for your help
I'm a filmmaker, mostly working as director of photography but in the last few months I have found myself directing a few projects: a short film but mostly commercials, so I can't say it's been artistically satisfying. A few months ago, I started to plan an independent project to compensate the lack of creativity that I experience on the "pro" jobs lately.
Of course, like most of these projects, many attempts fell in the never-to-return "I'll do it after I finish these jobs" kind of idea. But this one sticked. At first it was just another idea, but somehow, everything clicked, we've been lucky, things happened, we found necessary resources, equipment, crew, and it turns out that we are now about to start shooting a feature film.
We absolutely love the script, rehearsals have been going very well. The project is going to be extremely creative and involve as few people as possible to truly remain free from low-budget limitations (mostly money and time...). We'll have 4 main HODs responsible for most of the work : 1 director, 1 actress, 1 special effect supervisor, 1 sound designer.
The only issue we've had in our project is that we couldn't get our sound designer to be available to our schedule, and we are now looking for somebody to take the position. I thought I might find interesting people here or that you might know some people that could be interesting.
Right now, I'd be delighted to listen to some example of your work via email. I'm linking below a simple document that kind of sums up what we are looking for, but I can give you some key elements here again :
- we are looking for somebody who has quite a wide set of skills in terms of sound : from recording on a film set, to mixing the elements together, as well as composing ambient/atmospheric tracks. These tracks should at first sound like typical location sound, but slowly introduce mystery, patterns and reveal rythmes.
- actually, the most important part is a bad news, but I prefer to make it clear from the start that there is no direct pay on the shoot, but :
* we cover all expenses including accommodation, food, beers, and traveling with us to Prague, Budapest and France
* we are preparing a contract to share the buy-out of the film. And since we are a small crew, the percentage can be much much higher than usual offers. And we already have contacts with distribution companies who are interested in the project. We believe we can make something amazing.
- we are aiming at a cinema release in 4k (we are shooting on red)
- it's going to be a cool experience : by that I mean super hard but we are friendly! we want it to be a human experience as well.
- It will be super-f****-creative. We are totally open to the style and ideas that the person will take. but you will have to take decisions and not be afraid to prove your point.
- another important note : since it's extremely short-noticed (we are starting at the end of the month/beg. of Jan) you can apply to only part of the agenda, that only means we'll have to share the % of the buy-out with the people covering the rest of the shoot.
- in the worst case, we can find somebody for Prague and Budapest, but we really need somebody in France... we'll stay in a small countryside house
Now, if you're asking about the movie, I deliberately don't want to say too much at this point, and first find somebody interested in the experience. But let's say it starts as a horror film
Right, here is the full document, please feel free to share it around! Thank you so so much guys, and I hope to hear from you. Please contact me by email, the address is in the document below.
Edit: damn it, I'm not allowed to post links yet
the document is here :
PRESENTATION CAN BE FOUND HERE : aemnesia.net/Hiver/LHiver_Sound_designer.pdf