Unique sounds from (virtual) analog modular synths?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 27-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
phido
Granular Poster
phido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MC
MC Status: 2543972
Icon5 Unique sounds from (virtual) analog modular synths?

With all the stuff I've ben reading about modular systems lately, I've been wondering, how are the sounds created with an analog modular different from say a hardwired synth with lots of modulation options?
What's the point of using more than 3 oscillators?
Are the resulting sounds worth all the investment of time and money (i.e. do they offr more than bleeps and blops)?

If there are any good records/videos showcasing the possibilities modulars offer please tell. I'm aware of Tomita's Pictures at an exhibition and some ELP-stuff, but that's about it.

Advertisements

phido is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146
Re: Unique sounds from (virtual) analog modular synths?

go to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

go to the listening section and check out what people are making.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269448258
Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,695 Posts

No, ignore Delinquent Dialect and NEVER EVER GO TO MUFFWIGGLER!
That place is dangerous, it will suck your soul and force you to start your modular rig.

Even more important, if you happen to go on Muffwiggler, stay the fuck away from the buy/sell/trade thread!

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delinquent Dialect View Post

So the answer is no?
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
phido
Granular Poster
phido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MCphido is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
So the answer is no?
Hmmm, apparently I found mostly bleeps and blops over there. Some Alesis Micron / Electron Octatrack tunes as well, so I guess the difference between flexible non-modulars and modular systems is not very pronounced at best.

Maybe it's the feeling of being something like a sonic-alchemist that creates the fascination with those cable-spurting boxes of lights and knobs, the joy and triumph of creation from nothing but raw mains AC, the transformative power of electro-acoustics unleashed? And I guess the immediacy of physically intimate patch creation, ease of use so to speak. Kinda like model railways, only for electron trains.

But from a sounddesign perspective I guess there's little that justifies the expense, or am I mistaken?

Just to avoid misunderstanding: I'm not trying to bash modular synths or make owners of said things feel bad about their instrument/themselves/their bank account, merely seeking insight into the modular mindset.

Thanks for the answers so far, more very welcome.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
phido
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
No, ignore Delinquent Dialect and NEVER EVER GO TO MUFFWIGGLER!
That place is dangerous, it will suck your soul and force you to start your modular rig.

Even more important, if you happen to go on Muffwiggler, stay the fuck away from the buy/sell/trade thread!
It seems my soul was not appealing enough to be sucked at.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Quote:
Originally Posted by phido View Post
But from a sounddesign perspective I guess there's little that justifies the expense, or am I mistaken?
Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Digital and analog synthesis techniques and audio processing aren't substitutes of each other, they do different things.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Wit the extra modulators you get with the likes of max for live and renoise these days almost any common or garden softsynth can be modular anyway.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
phido
Granular Poster

hmmm, ok, thanks!
So staying in the analog hardwaresynthrealm (analogue purportedly sounding better), is there still some benefit a modular synth has compared to say an Alesis Andromeda (apart from still being manufactured, that is)? Being able to choose the filters you want, chaining twenty filters, is that it?

Or is it really more a love for plugging cables into sockets and the like? Do you have to fiddle around with a modular to get it? Maybe something to do with electromagnetic influence from all the cables you constantly touch?
Old 29-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I found that my modular rig was more inspiring; the simple act of having to decide where to plug a cable would tempt me to try different things, I have a cable coming from an oscillator, what if instead of sending it to the filter input I use it to modulate the filter cutoff?

In the end I did get rid of the modular for economic reasons, I had spent quite some money on it and yet there were still so many things I could have added, I managed to make a profit from the sale and I now use a desktop Evolver which has more features than my modular had, but compromises on other aspects.

You don't need to go all out on a modular, something like a MFB Kraftzwerg [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
will give you a desktop modular rig, with midi, for very little money.

Another route is to make the best of both worlds, run your vst instruments (or its oscillators) into the filters and envelopes of a modular, adding some more oscillators as well, easy to do in Live for example.
See: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Automageddon; 29-03-2012 at 06:29 PM..

------------------
Old 29-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926

Quote:
So staying in the analog hardwaresynthrealm (analogue purportedly sounding better), is there still some benefit a modular synth has compared to say an Alesis Andromeda (apart from still being manufactured, that is)? Being able to choose the filters you want, chaining twenty filters, is that it?
you have a lot more options for modulation, processing etc

that is if you spent a fuckillion dollars on your rig

problem is, the result of complex or unconventional modulation or processing tends to be bleeps and bloops
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
phido
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I found that my modular rig was more inspiring; the simple act of having to decide where to plug a cable would tempt me to try different things, I have a cable coming from an oscillator, what if instead of sending it to the filter input I use it to modulate the filter cutoff?
Yeah, I think I get that. Like"here's one patch cable left, what can I do with that" instead of fiddling with modulation routing menus. Point taken!

Quote:
Another route is to make the best of both worlds, run your vst instruments (or its oscillators) into the filters and envelopes of a modular, adding some more oscillators as well, easy to do in Live for example.
See: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
That's a rather obvious idea, really, now that you mentioned it Nice article as well!
Thanks for the insight!
Old 30-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
phido
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
problem is, the result of complex or unconventional modulation or processing tends to be bleeps and bloops
I guess it's the process of creating these bloops that gives the satisfaction, like driving an expensive car from a to b compared to some comparatively much cheaper car which get's you there as well but doesn't make you enjoy the ride as much. Or whatever.

I actually find this a bit sad, as I really like the concept of a modular synth, but I feel a bit disappointed about the bloopiness of pretty much everything I know that's been created with one. I guess you can only do so much with analog synthesis, no matter how complex the modulation routing.

Funnily enough this thread made me feel better about the stuff I have and more eager to exploit it.

Cheers guys!

Old 13-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
apertureburn
apertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MC
MC Status: 5209190

just so people know where i'm coming from, qualitative statements like warm, phat, cold, and stale, etc. being associated with digital vs. analog seem very wrong to me. the harvestman's polivoks filter which, is analog, is cold and harsh sounding. the cyclebox osc (digital) can be phat as hell, lots of the time i don't even send it thru a filter.

that said, for me its definitely NOT about being analog, or bleepy bloopy. for me its the thought process and experience behind tactile patching and control. that is what a modular really lends itself to as far as creative thinking and sound experimentation go. yeah, maybe i could get that sound out of reaktor or a different synth, but the point is i wouldn't get that sound in a different environment/headspace.

------------------
apertureburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
apertureburn
apertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MC
MC Status: 5209190

i do have to say though that i have yet to hear a good wavefolder (like the doepfer a137-1 or the one in the cyclebox) in software plugin format. there is a decent design in the reaktor ampere modules but it aliases like a bitch (which can have its uses) at low oversampling and destroys cpu power when upping the oversampling.

so sound-wise, there are still things that have yet to be implemented well in other systems, but that is just a matter of time.

------------------
apertureburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
phido
Granular Poster

Hey, thanks for the reply
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC

and: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Delinquent Dialect; 06-06-2012 at 12:31 PM..

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Hosaka
Minor Glitch
Hosaka will become famous soon enough
Tropical paradise on another planet
MC Status: 60

Some famous people who also use modulars for their sound include Alessandro Cortini, cEvin Key, Richard Devine and Rhys Fulber. I can't put any links here myself because of low post count, but YouTube is your friend. I recommend checking out "Everything Ends Here" by Alessandro Cortini and there are also some videos where he's jamming with Richard Devine.
Hosaka is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

I have a massive man-crush on Cortini, his work as Sonoio, Especially the first album (RED), is brilliant and full of analogue goodness.
You can get lots of his stuff here:

------------------
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosaka View Post
Some famous people who also use modulars for their sound include Alessandro Cortini, cEvin Key, Richard Devine and Rhys Fulber. I can't put any links here myself because of low post count, but YouTube is your friend. I recommend checking out "Everything Ends Here" by Alessandro Cortini and there are also some videos where he's jamming with Richard Devine.

Advertisements

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}