How to....
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
notagain
Learning The Ropes
notagain is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 10
How to....

hey all,

question... the project i am working in is going to be using a blend of backing tracks and live keyboard performance... our keyboardist only has 2 hands!! anyhow i guess the question is vst's

-we are using a hardware piece, and also a midi controller w laptop and native instrument vst's...

-is it possible to do a keyboard split w vst's

-can you have more than one vst running at a time?

i am running a macbook with 10.7 lion...

thanks!

Advertisements

notagain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: How to destroy angels....
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
RadarJammer
Re: How to....

you can use either one or more piz midi plugins to give specific midi ranges their own midi channel [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Siloh
Microknight
Siloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MCSiloh is a savage MC
Long beach cali
MC Status: 43693

Im pretty sure you can have more VSTs running at one time. Are you using Logic pro 9? if you are then i am more than positive that you can use more vsts at one time
Siloh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
notagain
Learning The Ropes
notagain is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siloh View Post
Im pretty sure you can have more VSTs running at one time. Are you using Logic pro 9? if you are then i am more than positive that you can use more vsts at one time
I am building a live set up for tracks actually... and this is a very good question. i am not running either logic or ableton live.

here was is my plan :

Macbook Pro w pro tools 10 -
Firewire interface w 8 outs - so i can run at least 4 stereo tracks to front of house at a high quality. these would be bounced down to one master pro tools session. the tracks would be one stereo click for the drummer, one stereo track of drum loops and percussion, one stereo synth track and one stereo track for organic instruments (strings, piano, guitars)

i am running pro tools 8 le now so to do this i of course have to upgrade or just buy a damned 003 this is expensive... especially considering that its just going in a rack and never to be used to record.

is there a better way to get 8 outs?

i have never used ableton or logic...
notagain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: the rain falling outside
Old 17-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siloh View Post
Actually you can't run vst's at all in Logic without a wrapper.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

That's what you're using for the backing but what host would the keyboardist be using? I mean, you can;t use VSTs without a host.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

And you can do keyboard splits, multiple vsts at once, multiple key splits, dual instruments, whatever you want.

Assuming the host is capable, like Ableton.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
filterwerk
spaghetti machine
filterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 10880361

I would recommend Kore2 if NI hadn't fucked up so badly and dropped it. Damn you NI!!! And now I'm left with this ticking timebomb piece of shit, its just a matter of time before there's some bug they dont give a shit about and the product dies.

But yeah, just use ableton, its really easy to set up. No logic midi wizardry needed.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedachi View Post
Touching my bum hole whilst I stroke my cat, furiously.
filterwerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478254

Quote:
Originally Posted by notagain View Post
I am building a live set up for tracks actually... and this is a very good question. i am not running either logic or ableton live.

here was is my plan :

Macbook Pro w pro tools 10 -
Firewire interface w 8 outs - so i can run at least 4 stereo tracks to front of house at a high quality. these would be bounced down to one master pro tools session. the tracks would be one stereo click for the drummer, one stereo track of drum loops and percussion, one stereo synth track and one stereo track for organic instruments (strings, piano, guitars)

i am running pro tools 8 le now so to do this i of course have to upgrade or just buy a damned 003 this is expensive... especially considering that its just going in a rack and never to be used to record.

is there a better way to get 8 outs?

i have never used ableton or logic...
Not with Pro Tools 8. With Pro Tools 8 you HAVE to use Digidesign hardware otherwise the program doesn't run, and unfortunately, the only hardware they have that has a good number of multi channel outs is the Digi003's, which are pricey. However, here's a suggestion. If you weren't planning on upgrading Pro Tools, you could get a Digi002, which was the latest hardware until just a few years ago. You can get them for pretty cheap on ebay ($300 for a rack, $500 with control surface). Multichannel interfaces are usually at least $500 anyway. The other way to go of course it to upgrade to Pro tools 10 or 9, which support the use of any audio interface, of course you'd still need to buy an interface, and I think the upgrade from PT8 to PT10 is $400 or so that my be pricey. However if you did upgrade to PT10 here is an interface that may be useful, if you don't need any inputs; the ESI Gigaport:

Advertisements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote