How to get involved with playing live - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 27-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586
Re: How to get involved with playing live

I lived in a city called Aalborg for a couple of years. Back there we had something called Platform4 - it was basically a group of enthusiasts who got the town government into helping them lease an old storeroom down by the harbour where they would have concerts, art exhibits and so on. It was an open community with a flat hieri..hi.. fuck it, structure where anyone could attend and help come up with ideas.

I can only use myself as an example, but I came in from the street one day and proposed that we held first ten-years Ad Noiseam-party in that town, and we ended up going through with it. Through the financing they had, I was told that I could plan what I could get away with for a certain sum. And we did it, and it was grand, and.. yeah. But!

My point is - we had everything and anything down there. If I wanted to play some of my tracks, I could just have asked and we'd find an occasion - or make one.

I think that if your community is large enough - if there are some enthusiasts, that you should try rallying them together and propose an idea like that. Grass-roots stuff. If you want some inspiration, you can probably talk to the guys where I was - they're more than willing to share their experiences.

Advertisements

ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralPunk View Post
I'm with Rewriter, you guys could be seen to be pretty elitist.

Whatever happened to just playing good music, irrespective of who wrote it.
"If I ever get to "dj", then I would rather play the music by people I know from forums rather than playing famous stuff."

I see this as hardly elitist, man. As for staying away from "famous stuff" and "fame" in general, I can't agree more, exactly because I don't care who wrote stuff, and I'd like people to enjoy music for what it sounds. It's not that we are short of people going live and hitting play with the coolest song around. Personally, I'd be bored to do it, not even with my own music... Of course it depends on the live situation, that is...

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown__artist View Post
"If I ever get to "dj", then I would rather play the music by people I know from forums rather than playing famous stuff."

I see this as hardly elitist, man.
"You're too well known, I can't play your music now."

That's hipster elitism.

Quote:
As for staying away from "famous stuff" and "fame" in general, I can't agree more, exactly because I don't care who wrote stuff, and I'd like people to enjoy music for what it sounds. It's not that we are short of people going live and hitting play with the coolest song around. Personally, I'd be bored to do it, not even with my own music... Of course it depends on the live situation, that is...
What the fuck has fame got to do with the quality of the music?

Play stuff from people on the forums AND more well known stuff, play whatever fits the moment. (Holy shit did he just say AND! But that means we don't get to feel morally superior by dividing up music into "worthy" of being played and "not-worthy")

DJs are there to create a backdrop for raving to. Thats all.

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762791

Quote:

That's hipster elitism.

Play stuff from people on the forums AND more well known stuff, play whatever fits the moment. (Holy shit did he just say AND! But that means we don't get to feel morally superior by dividing up music into "worthy" of being played and "not-worthy")

Thereīs a lot of stuff posted by IDMf members that is as suited to rave as anything by the Big Ones out there. Do ravers know all the songs the DJ plays? No. Do they care who wrote a song as long as they can dance to it? No.

You may accuse me of being an "elitist hipster", but I donīt feel like contributing to the popularity of mediocre musicians.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg

Quote:

That's hipster elitism.
Not what I meant. Even better, not what I wrote.

Quote:

Yeah, AND is fine. Again, not what I wrote.
As for fame, of course it has no retroactive effect, play whatever you want.
Am I saying that in the long term fame fucks your creativity and originality up, hence the quality of what you do? Yeah, pretty much, as I'm concerned. You can quote me on this.

Quote:
Well, I don't think many Djs would agree, as they tend and are seen closer to musicians, which is fine by me. But then this may change from place to place.

------------------

Old 27-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Thereīs a lot of stuff posted by IDMf members that is as suited to rave as anything by the Big Ones out there. Do ravers know all the songs the DJ plays? No. Do they care who wrote a song as long as they can dance to it? No.

You may accuse me of being an "elitist hipster", but I donīt feel like contributing to the popularity of mediocre musicians.
You're missing my point.
I'm saying your main issue when picking tracks to DJ should be quality, is the track good? Does it fit the moment? Not, is this too mainstream?

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #27
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
Not what I meant. Even better, not what I wrote.
Then explain how what you wrote and my shoddy attempt at paraphrasing differ.

Quote:
Yeah, AND is fine. Again, not what I wrote.
As for fame, of course it has no retroactive effect, play whatever you want.
Am I saying that in the long term fame fucks your creativity and originality up, hence the quality of what you do? Yeah, pretty much, as I'm concerned. You can quote me on this.
So you agree that the quality of the music is most important?

Quote:
Well, I don't think many Djs would agree, as they tend and are seen closer to musicians, which is fine by me. But then this may change from place to place.
Most DJs I know (mostly D'n'B/IDM/Dubstep DJs) wouldn't see themselves that way, there is artistry involved in DJing well and it involves music, but they wouldn't equate themselves with for instance someone playing a guitar. They are very different skill sets. Although saying that most DJs I know are producers as well.

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
unknown__artist
Hamburg

Quote:

So you agree that the quality of the music is most important?
Yes, of course, that's the most important thing.
Let me express better what I meant, or what I would suggest to people going to Dj.
If you are DJing, and at a certain point you have got two tracks that you think they would fit the moment well, one is yours/forum people, and one is from the superfamous dude, then go for yours, give it a chance! That's what I meant. Then of course there's a big difference in risk factor, since the famous one will be recognized and most probably people will be "happy" with it, while in the other case there's more uncertainty, of course. I say don't worry about this, and give it a shot, or at least that's what would make my (as a listener/dancer/whatever) night. This is what I meant by "staying away from fame", i.e. do not consider it to be necessary condition for what you are going to play...
As for Djing, yeah, there's quite some skills involved, I don't doubt about it...

Last edited by unknown__artist; 27-01-2012 at 12:58 PM..

------------------

Old 27-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German

Quote:
You're missing my point.
I'm saying your main issue when picking tracks to DJ should be quality, is the track good? Does it fit the moment? Not, is this too mainstream?
Iīm sorry, but I firmly believe people are able to dance to music that is both competent on the dancefloor and on the paper sheet. Am I making any sense? I donīt care about how famous someone is, I just donīt want a niche of already famous guys getting all the attention while others drown in obscurity.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
Yes, of course, that's the most important thing.
Let me express better what I meant, or what I would suggest to people going to Dj.
If you are DJing, and at a certain point you have got two tracks that you think they would fit the moment well, one is yours/forum people, and one is from the superfamous dude, then go for yours, give it a chance! That's what I meant. Then of course there's a big difference in risk factor, since the famous one will be recognized and most probably people will be "happy" with it, while in the other case there's more uncertainty, of course. I say don't worry about this, and give it a shot, or at least that's what would make my (as a listener/dancer/whatever) night. This is what I meant by "staying away from frame", i.e. do not consider it to be necessary condition for what you are going to play...
As for Djing, yeah, there's quite some skills involved, I don't doubt about it...
I get somewhat where you are coming from. It is nice to support unknown artists who we think have talent.

But again the moment you make a decision thats not based on the music (rather the public standing of the artist) then you've started down the elitism route again, in other words taken one select group of people's art to be more worthy of playing than that of another, simply because of an arbitrary measure that isn't to do with the product.

If it came to having to pick between two tunes like that, it would probably come down to which one I found in my record bag (mp3 library) first. I never find time when DJing to have moral debates with myself.

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 27-01-2012 at 01:11 PM..

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
Iīm sorry, but I firmly believe people are able to dance to music that is both competent on the dancefloor and on the paper sheet. Am I making any sense? I donīt care about how famous someone is, I just donīt want a niche of already famous guys getting all the attention while others drown in obscurity.
Good for you! Expressing yourself like this. Although you are becoming slightly contradictory.

But you've still not taken in my point. Quality should be the measure, which you seem to agree with, but then you then veer off into the fame thing again by saying you don't care about it but you do.

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Good for you! Expressing yourself like this. Although you are becoming slightly contradictory.

But you've still not taken in my point. Quality should be the measure, which you seem to agree with, but then you then veer off into the fame thing again by saying you don't care about it but you do.
OK, I admit I do care about how famous someone is. The thing is, I donīt see how logical it is to play music by people who are already known. For me it makes much more sense to expose the public to the stuff being made by non famous ones. I may come across as biased, but I hear stuff by IDMf member that is much better, judging from a musical point of view.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
OK, I admit I do care about how famous someone is. The thing is, I donīt see how logical it is to play music by people who are already known. For me it makes much more sense to expose the public to the stuff being made by non famous ones. I may come across as biased, but I hear stuff by IDMf member that is much better, judging from a musical point of view.
Thats if you see DJing purely as a medium for advertising music. Which seems to me to be a by-product (??? can't think of a better term) rather than the purpose behind it.

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #34
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
To be honest I don't think anyone would really question why a DJ might choose one song over another or know/think about how there was a decision to make.

Although popularity is arbitrary in terms of a quality set/mix or whatever I don't think it's a worthless measure when you think about the reason behind why you might be showcasing certain music.

If I was a DJ I'd rather have people come up to me afterwards asking "what was that hip hop song you played around 11 'o' clock?" and "what the hell style of music is that you played at the end?" than "wow, you played all the tunes I hear on the radio every day" even if those radio tunes measured up in my books to what I would enjoy mixing.

Pete Tong > Tiesto ()

Going to have to admit a little ignorance on the subject though.
Well put. If I were a DJ Iīd love to get people interested in NEW stuff, rather than playing that same old oontze-beat and synth stabs people have been listening for the last 20 years.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
unknown__artist
Hamburg

Quote:
If it came to having to pick between two tunes like that, it would probably come down to which one I found in my record bag (mp3 library) first. I never find time when DJing to have moral debates with myself.
Yeah, I see your point. As I said before, I would go for supporting less known artists. If that's elitism, I don't know. After all, are there objective criterias that only have to do with products? But that's something else...

Last edited by unknown__artist; 27-01-2012 at 01:48 PM..

------------------

Old 27-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
That's fair but I imagine some people would only/tend to bring along stuff they expect people to have less likely heard.
If thats why you've been chosen for a set then go for it, I think its highly unlikely that would be the only reason you'd have been chosen. Although big name DJs make their living having exclusive material that others don't have (it would still be what is expected of them).

Quote:
Specific crowd pleasing would have to tie in with "this is popular but I genuinely think it's good"
This is actually quite a mature way of going about it. But crowd pleasing doesn't just mean playing popular music (quality, again).

Most people will DJ as part of a larger night/party. They'll (hopefully) have been chosen because their previous output feel within the criteria/theme for the night, therefore they will have varying degrees of freedom to play what they like, because the crowd will (again, hopefully) attend the night wanting to hear what the DJs might play.

You can get away with playing random shit no-one knows at a night where there's a fair amount of it around compared to a big branded night like ministry of sound or the like.

------------------
Old 27-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

It all depend on what people expect. If you lead people on to expect a night of premium club-material they know, they'll leave fifteen minutes after they haven't heard anything they know.

If you lead people to expect some underground lo-fi rave and end up playing what people wanted to be played at the previous gig, people are going to leave because they can get that atmosphere some other place they know where the drinks are cheaper..

It's all a part of the job - but I have to admit, that if I could pick and match what I wanted to do, I'd focus on what I personally thought was interesting and listen-worthy rather than play at the Minestry of Sound.
ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #38
muopia
Learning The Ropes
muopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MCmuopia is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 35772

I played my first live DJ set last year. I started a meetup group on meetup.com and invited other DJs to play with me, I booked a venue for $500 and we all played a 1 hour set each. I didn't tell anyone until after that I'd never played in front of other people before. It was scary but one of the best thing's I've ever done.

Now I run 2 regular events in San Francisco and I give other new DJs a chance to spin for the first time.
muopia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #39
mote.
Microknight
mote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 3827749

You play what you are booked for end of story. If you are playing at your local pub and the guy asks you to play club anthems, sleazy house and top 40 glitch hop rmx's then you don't play the obscure glitchcore that you think is the bomb.

likewise if you are booked to play at a glitch-hop night, you don't play psytrance...

------------------
mote. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
Poindextr-A
Minor Glitch
Poindextr-A will become famous soon enough
That Blackhole they call Washington, D.C.
MC Status: 68

I started going to the shows of smaller promo companies, and getting to know the people(including the promoters) and the lot. A- this has been really helpful and B- I love the atmosphere, the comradery at these kinds of shows are great! This will be super-helpful when it comes time to actually get bookings.(I'm new at this myself)

And because I have opinions on things...
When it comes to mixing in a famous artist vs underground artist, it really shouldn't matter. In my eyes the DJ is in charge of channeling the crowds energy. In other words the DJ takes what the crowd is feeling, the DJ in turn picks a song to reflect that and puts it in the mix, thus giving the crowds energy back to them. (such a science-y way to put things) Should the music a DJ a spins be a reflection of the DJ themselves? Yeah. But it also has to be a reflection of the crowd they're playing for.
This is all in theory of course.

Advertisements

Poindextr-A is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote