How the crap do you pick an artist name? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #41
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330
Re: How the crap do you pick an artist name?

I use the method of, "Ah, fuck it. That'll do" when I think of something roughly appropriate that isn't cringeworthy and doesn't already exist on discogs.

Advertisements

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #42
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

I actually just have a big list of names for albums, songs, projects, or whatever else I want to use them for. When I need one I just go through them till I find one that still sounds cool and pick it. Having a name that actually means anything is too much of a commitment when my opinions on the world change so often.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

Mines came from a dream

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #44
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

Like @Lu-Cuss, I have a list of words. I don't know how @Lu-Cuss comes up with words, but for me I use the Notes app on my phone every time I see or think of words or sometimes phrases that are catchy. I actually just learned a new word "portmanteau", which is the combining of words and their meanings into one word, like 'magnificat;' you can probably figure out that refers to a magnificent cat. I do that a lot. Heck, "portmanteau" might be a great band name in and of itself, now that I look at it - my music is a hodge podge of influences that I combine into one thing that pulls meaning from each.

Disclaimer: I have yet to figure out a great band name, I'm still using my name and trying to figure out my 'identity' as an artist. It may never happen, but I have a few strong candidates.

Also, there is this...

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #45
HighSpace
Regular Freak
HighSpace will become famous soon enoughHighSpace will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Anything that sounds cool to you should work, really. If anything that you think of doesn't sound cool to you, try thinking of things that impress you and modify the words a bit, if necessary.

I don't think that there's a professional guideline for this
HighSpace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:34 AM   #46
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

There is actually another dude with my music name , and we make opposite music. I can make ambient and dark ambient, but its too easy for me so I tend to only use it to increase some productions that I want to add space to.

The dude is just called Araphel though and I am Araphel The Sun. In a way it is motivating that I get known before him so I can be known for my name before he does.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #47
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster
Kutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura aboutKutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

For me I chose something that would only come up with myself if I google searched for it.
Obviously, as well as that it has to sound 'right' and fit in with the genre that the music is.
Kutkh_Jackdaw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #48
BRizZle
Minor Glitch
BRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the rough
Chicago
MC Status: 310

Do you have a nickname or anything? My artist name (BRizZle) was actually just a name this kid used to call me in 8th grade (my real name is Brian) haha and I just stuck with it. And if you don't have a nickname maybe just try to mess around with your name or initials!
BRizZle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #49
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Also stick shit in anagram generators.

Reminds me of the time a friend used the handle "blood dragon" which anagram generators changed to "a dog nob lord"

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Keef Baker
oly (16-03-2016)
Old 31-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #50
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

because of your profile picture....

wait for it...

wait...

just a little longer!

santa hat strangler. BOOM.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #51
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts

The typeset and graphic design is what matters.

Noob

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #52
StampedeMe
Future Epic Ban Victim
StampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond reputeStampedeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Elblag
MC Status: 4111

We went through this on the forum one or two times. I'm still afraid to use this new name I got for myself. Sounds REALLY pretentious. But I got something else in mind if it won't work. Don't know what the people would make of it though.

------------------
Most of my posts begin with: "Well,"
StampedeMe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #53
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Stop caring so much.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #54
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
We went through this on the forum one or two times. I'm still afraid to use this new name I got for myself. Sounds REALLY pretentious. But I got something else in mind if it won't work. Don't know what the people would make of it though.
Go with whatever name you feel has merit in defining who you are as an artist. You will have the respect of doing your own thing with your own thing as opposed to something "flashy" or "looks good on paper" that you could give a fuck less about within yourself.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #55
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390479

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeMe View Post
you are caring too much about your image. use your worry on your work instead of your name- it took me 6 years to find a name for my root stuff (stuff closest to my soul) so don't worry about not finding a name- instead focus on the music- the music is what speaks to the ppl, not the name- now the name may be good for getting ppl's attention- but you have to ask yourself if you only care about the audiences eyes, or their ears more. deaf ppl can read just fine

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 12:40 AM   #56
SoManyYips
Minor Glitch
SoManyYips will become famous soon enoughSoManyYips will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Use your middle name followed by the first street you lived on.
SoManyYips is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 02:57 AM   #57
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyYips View Post
Use your middle name followed by the first street you lived on.
I'm not taking advice from you. Your user name sucks.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #58
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I'm not taking advice from you. Your user name sucks.
WOW.

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #59
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377667

All the best names have been used already. So have all the best melodies, riffs and beats.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #60
YoSoyPincho
Analog Lurker
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1060

Ahh this post. I have struggled so much to find one i can feel 100% satisfied with. But i think it's something that will come eventually, just don't let that stop you from releasing or finishing stuff. Sometimes the content you create will lead you to it. For example "Pincho" is just my nickname among my friends haha, not a fancy name tho. But i don't use it for "artistic" purposes, i currently create under the alias "V-Axis" And so far i like it. I just try no to overthink about it lately.

Or just go with something you find meaning in and go with it. People don't really have to get what that is. At the end of the day the content is what gives respect to the name you are using, just make sure it's something you feel comfortable with.

Good luck with that!

Advertisements

YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote