Over genrefication in electronic music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 18-02-2016, 02:41 AM   #1
opticaloutcast
Minor Glitch
opticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210
Over genrefication in electronic music?

Before I begin I want to say that this is in no way a rant or attack, but just some observations and a question for those more informed than me.

I've spent the last 10 years in relative seclusion from the electronic music scene. Now that I am active again, I am very surprised at what has happened. My biggest concern is that I am afraid that there is too much "genrefication", if that is a word, and I suspect it isn't.

I've been shopping around indie labels for my new project that I would like to share and I'm finding that the vast majority of these labels are extremely laser focused on one or two micro genres. Labels that aren't laser focused are either defunct, just a facebook page with no followers, or massive powerhouses that aren't seeking demos and new artists.

Here is my dilemma - I hate genres. What I mean by that, is when I create music, I never start out thinking to myself, "Ok, I'm going to make a breakcore super speed mega trap double whammy deep tropical reverse house gabber album" and instead I just make the music I want to make and that I would enjoy sharing with others. If I find a sound I like, I'm certainly not going to say "Oh that's not Jungle enough for my album" and toss it out.

On my current project there are tracks that I would call breakbeat, d'n'b, dance, synth pop, and electro. Those genres have all changed in the last 10 years and so my definitions may be already out of date.

Here comes the questions:
What do people who have a similar situation like me do in order to get their music shared around and perhaps on a reputable but realistic indie label?

How do you advertise yourself (to labels or otherwise) if you produce outside the lines of genre, or your individual tracks cross them frequently enough that it makes identification and explanation difficult?

How do you identify what makes a song belong to a particular genre?

All help and information is appreciated and thanks everybody for welcoming back a newbie like me

Advertisements

opticaloutcast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts
Re: Over genrefication in electronic music?

Just call yourself "alternative dance" or beat the stupid scene at its' own game and make up your own genre. Most of what I make now is some bizarre fusion of all my favorite styles so I usually pick a genre it mostly kinda fits into, or make up a crap fusion name.

As for submitting to labels when you don't even know what to call your own shit, I have no idea how to do that plz someone else help us thanks

P.S: There's a rhythm game called Beatmania that has a lot of songs listed under some crazy made up genres, I think they're all hilarious:

"Astral Hardcore"

"Cyber Symphonic Pop"

"Dynastic Freeform"
"Hyper Gothic Beat"
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
professurreal (18-02-2016)
Old 18-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

Just don't mention the genre and only send it to labels that you think are putting out something similar.
Or just send it to any label you can find.
I dunno, you not liking genres has nothing to do with anything tbh and is just your own silly issues you need to suck up and get past to progress properly as an adult/working musician.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538280
Thanked 6,947 Times in 4,941 Posts

Genres are a marketing tool. Labels are a business. IMO many netlabels arent worth it unless you simply require the ego.boost. Buy a URL and make a bandcamp page. No need to over complicate things. What would you be getting frkm the label anyway? From what Ive seen even electronic distribution isnt worth siging the rights to your music away. Many of them dont do any kind of special marketing you cant accomplish on your own.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (19-02-2016)
Old 19-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

I just call my stuff eclectic electronic music.
Sometimes if I make a song that uses influences from a few genres, I'll list all of the genres instead of being an asshole and coming up with my own special snowflake name to try to sound edgy or hip.

But yeah, totally adhering to one genre in my opinion is boring and it can be very forced.

Last edited by stray medicine; 19-02-2016 at 12:51 AM..

------------------
andrewchapmanart.com
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

Electronica is a pretty safe descriptive label that really means nothing (I think).
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Genres are a marketing tool. Labels are a business. IMO many netlabels arent worth it unless you simply require the ego.boost. Buy a URL and make a bandcamp page. No need to over complicate things. What would you be getting frkm the label anyway? From what Ive seen even electronic distribution isnt worth siging the rights to your music away. Many of them dont do any kind of special marketing you cant accomplish on your own.
^This

I think those who make music should leave the labeling to both labels and listeners in general..and instead just focus on making the kind of music they like to make. Let others make up their minds as to what genre your stuff belongs to..or what sound you have. I think if you dwell on all that stuff too much, then it only ends up getting in the way of making music.

I also think it all comes down to what you think success really is..getting your stuff out there on a "serious" label..or just putting your stuff "out there" and not worrying about all that fame and fortune shite.

Seriously, what Relic said is solid advice..you CAN follow the old road of handing over control of your work to a label..as long as the trade off is worth it in the long term..or you can try and build up things yourself by representing yourself and your music..very much a case of living it in a very real way.

Personally, I was very lucky when it comes to dealing with labels and have had nothing but good memories of my experiences..though that is not usually the case for most folks..or so the stories would have us believe.

I've also dabbled in self-promotion and I have to tall ya that that's where it all rests for me personally..and that's what I'm focusing on from here on out. That's not to say I'm closed to the idea of working with labels..nothing could be farther from the truth..but any interaction between me and any label in future will be strictly on my terms..not that I expect any label to come calling any time soon.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #8
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

The only moments when I am faced with really specific genres are when loopmasters & co try to sell me stuff on facebook.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chozo Tull
relic (19-02-2016)
Old 19-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

You are dealing an ostensibly niche market anyway who, I assume like myself, is actively seeking music and will value it based on their own taste not whether or not it was released on Warp Records (just as an example).

I make a point to spend some time each month searching for new music and usually find a few albums to buy on Bandcamp and elsewhere. It being on a label makes no difference to me.

And to be clear, there are plenty of labels that are willing to put in the effort, just do your homework if that is the route you want to go : )

------------------
Thanks to relic
jVs (19-02-2016)
Old 19-02-2016, 02:27 AM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

The most important thing to do I think, Is stay focused on creating the music that you are doing, Regardless of the genre. Let your music keep speaking for itself because the laws of numbers demand that if you get your music heard by just a few of the right people, You're going to be in a position to where you will effectively network with artists/labels and that opportunity that you seek will be there. Musick is the only genre.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
The most important thing to do I think, Is stay focused on creating the music that you are doing, Regardless of the genre. Let your music keep speaking for itself because the laws of numbers demand that if you get your music heard by just a few of the right people, You're going to be in a position to where you will effectively network with artists/labels and that opportunity that you seek will be there. Musick is the only genre.
MeeeewSIIIIICK sounds like a dying cat!

------------------
Thanks to relic
jVs (19-02-2016)
Old 19-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #12
opticaloutcast
Minor Glitch
opticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210

Very interesting points, I will try not to worry so much about it then
opticaloutcast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
MeeeewSIIIIICK sounds like a dying cat!
There's a label for that would punch nuts to sign The Meowsick Dead Cat Orchestra! Because I would punch nuts to own that album!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticaloutcast View Post
Very interesting points, I will try not to worry so much about it then
Just keep doing noizes that opticaloutcats does best and fucking go with it.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote