Oneohtrix Point Never. Thoughts?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 23-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
lovesbody
Learning The Ropes
lovesbody will become famous soon enough
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 60
Oneohtrix Point Never. Thoughts?

i'm wondering what people think of Oneohtrix Point Never's tunes.

i personally find him to be an incredibly inventive composer whose tunes have an intricate, jarring yet nonetheless organic seeming song structure. And his synth programming varies between beautiful and complex to downright hilarious (a mix that is pretty necessary imho ).

what do y'all think of him? he's got a new album coming out in a bit toooooooo. i wasn't too psyched on the new track but i am looking forward to hearing the rest of it and seeing him when he comes thru my city.

Advertisements

lovesbody is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115610
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,351 Posts
Re: Oneohtrix Point Never Thoughts?

never liked him, never will. Boring vapor-whatever-shit-wave and I'm not the biggest fan of plunderphonics either. "R Plus Seven" is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. "Returnal" is ok album, haven't checked the rest because I don't care that much.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
never liked him, never will. Boring vapor-whatever-shit-wave and I'm not the biggest fan of plunderphonics either. "R Plus Seven" is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. "Returnal" is ok album, haven't checked the rest because I don't care that much.
I agree that his new stuff sucks, but he used to be a legit drone / ambient artist.

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458

I think there is too much hype around him. Don't really like his style, I find his music pretty boring. tbh, none of his tracks managed to make me go "wow" about his production skills, so yeah, seems to be all about hype.

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31460

I like just the one song.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
lovesbody
Learning The Ropes
Berkeley, CA

damn, throwing hella shade his way... to each their own, i suppose.

a couple things. formally, at least, OPN's music is decidedly not boring. in fact, it is technically speaking some of the most dynamic music i've been hearing as of late. when i say formally i mean the composition's form (its song structure, its development of harmonic, melodic, rhythmic and textural ideas, and so on). take, for example, 'Zebra.' there is, formally speaking, no repetition whatsoever. both in the sense that there are no repetitive sections (e.g. a chorus) and inn the sense that even in those parts that bear elements of repetition (the intro for example) the phrase that repeats is altered each time either through the addition of another instrument, timbral variations or rhythmic variations.

Now, of course you could find this boring in a subjective sense: you don't identify with the music, it does not grab your attention, you find it uncompelling, and so on. But objectively speaking it is decidedly dynamic in form and content. this is not a claim concerning its quality or aesthetic value. it is a descriptive observation.

but of course this leads into the question of the relativity (or objectivity) of aesthetic judgment and taste, a rabbit hole fr sure.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

R Plus Seven, and the upcoming Garden of Delete (http://hasitleaked.com/2015/oneohtri...den-of-delete/) are two of my favorites from the last few years.

Both like crunchy ambient and colorful drone. Two adjectives I would never usually ascribe to those genres. Which is why these records are so interesting to me.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
lolirl (24-09-2015)
Old 24-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts
Re: Oneohtrix Point Never. Thoughts?

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree

------------------
Old 24-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
lovesbody
Learning The Ropes
Berkeley, CA

Cypherclerk-- hell ya, all this intrigue is getting' me super psyched about this next record!

R Plus Seven is probably my favorite record of his, aside from being one of my favorite records from the past few years.
Old 28-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Rectilinear Filigree

Anyone have recommendations for music similar to OPN's recent material?

------------------
Old 28-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #12
lovesbody
Learning The Ropes
Berkeley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherclerk View Post
Anyone have recommendations for music similar to OPN's recent material?
check out Holly Herndon's new record, 'Platform.'

her music is similarly abstract yet beautiful. she also has occasional moments where the chaos coalesces into something like a danceable beat, which sets her apart from OPN in a big way. saw them play a show together in sf a couple years back which was great
Thanks to lovesbody
Cypherclerk (28-09-2015)
Old 29-09-2015, 02:53 AM   #13
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Interesting this topic was brought up being as I just ran across this the other night and watched it. Typically I don't really care for this redbull academy stuff but I thought the lecture / interview was worth the watch. I came across this by way of a recommendation from a coworker, had never heard any of his stuff before watching the video, but mostly I really enjoyed what was played. Interviewer is a but odd but other than that...

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

i honestly dont know. occasionally, i enjoy it a lot, but i dont really know why its exactly him that "got through" since i think i am a fan of the genre but i know a bunch of other artists that do similar stuff but in a way "better". i am deliberately using quotation marks, i think its highly subjective. what i enjoy a lot about all this: there doesnt seem to be any appeal to him besides the music. that and his success should feel great to all of us, since most of us do not have that pop/mass appeal that is connected with success - which means, anyone can "make" it just through music.

which is great!

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
i honestly dont know. occasionally, i enjoy it a lot, but i dont really know why its exactly him that "got through" since i think i am a fan of the genre but i know a bunch of other artists that do similar stuff but in a way "better". i am deliberately using quotation marks, i think its highly subjective. what i enjoy a lot about all this: there doesnt seem to be any appeal to him besides the music. that and his success should feel great to all of us, since most of us do not have that pop/mass appeal that is connected with success - which means, anyone can "make" it just through music.

which is great!
he knew the right people, right time. i have a few artists i have this same feel for though. so you arent alone
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 AM   #16
blvedream
Soundwave Mangler
blvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to all
Texas
MC Status: 560

I would say Returnal is his best album. At least that is the album that is consistently good all the way through. R Plus Seven has it's moments but some stuff is pretty meh. However his new single "I Bite Through It" is excellent so I'm really excited for his new album but it took awhile for his music to grow on me. I can totally see why a lot of people don't like him

------------------
Soundcloud:
BLVE DREAM
blvedream is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

I just listened to Replica for the first time last night and thought it was really moving. There's much better producers for this type of music, I'm sure, but I haven't heard many yet.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
lovesbody
Learning The Ropes
Berkeley, CA

Hard to know what or why exactly certain people's work breaks through into popular consciousness... particularly for work that seemingly has little commercial appeal. It does seem highly circumstantial and aleatory, e.g. meeting the right people who are willing to put money behind yr work to record n promote it. then again this is the nature of recorded music in the age of digital reproduction, no? manufacturing attention through promotion n marketing are essential, rather than accidental, features of a record. There is no record strictly speaking without the work to cultivate an audience (i.e. create demand through promotion). This facet of musical production as commodification is something 'Replica' engages with in an interesting, critical fashion through OPN's source material (samples from 80s commercials n so on, a shit ton's been written on that topic already).
Old 20-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #19
mookster
peripheral being
mookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MCmookster is a savage MC
The Moon
MC Status: 232876053
Thanked 1,199 Times in 793 Posts

I really don't know what to make of him, and that's the truth.

I only absolutely loved one track on R Plus Seven, the rest I don't know. His older stuff is amazing, however.

------------------
mookster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #20
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Yup!

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote