Street Art & Promotion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 13-01-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
Jane Doe
Regular Freak
Jane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud ofJane Doe has much to be proud of
The Frozen Wastes
MC Status: 1160
Street Art & Promotion

Hey, not 100% sure this goes here, but here goes, anyway.

So, I recently watched an interesting film on Street Art, ("Exit Through the Gift Shop" for what it's worth) and I had the idea to do promotion, for music, with street art. Just something simple, with a link to your website at the bottom of the image or whatever.

Whatever moral issues you may have with it aside, my main question is thusly; Your guys' opinion as far as good/bad idea & why, and this; If I do this, would I be legally reprimanded in the United States? I mean, I know it's illegal - but my main issue is - is it a horrible idea to basically leave your signature at the scene of the crime? I doubt the relevant authorities would devote the resources to tracking me down via the internet for the petty, misdemeanor crime of Vandalism - unless I tagged something really important like the State Capitol Building or a national monument >.> A wall in an alley downtown that's already tagged with gang lingo I doubt would net me any backlash besides the promotion/notoriety.

Thoughts?

Advertisements

------------------
Jane Doe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Mistabishi
Old 13-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #2
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: Street Art & Promotion

I find self promotion and street art stupid, so I personally wouldn't do it.

You could get away with stickers by saying you handed them out to people. In my country they would try to track the people down, even if just 1 sticker.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71374
Thanked 1,176 Times in 721 Posts

If you are from California, what they do is record every time a vandalism team has to come out to remove something or becomes a nuisance. If you ever do get caught, it's a pretty big deal and a really big fine (if you're doing it right). Can't say about any other state but I'm sure it's something like that.

Or sure yeah, you could just do alleys, where all the traffic is

There are far better ways to go about it. Try the Internet. Or if you think the streets hold your fame, go all out and start bombing and change your alias and stay hidden.

Sounds like you're looking for a rationalization to becoming a tagger, which you should know the score there. Do it and accept what repercussions there might be, or don't do it.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC

I should mention I used to dabble with it, had a friend who made front page, his name was absolutely taken out of context and he was basically crucified. That was years ago and he's still paying for it. You can always hit up those bathrooms where you can tell nobody gives a shit (heh) but eh, you aren't really going to get any fans if you ask me. Nobody is looking at graffiti and then sees a link for music and then says "I'm gonna check that shit out." Unless of course, you're doing it HUGE. But then you have unwanted eyes as well.

I've even seen folks do a couple of stencils on the sidewalks and get caught up. Not worth it.

Anyways, just my experiences and opinion.

------------------
Old 13-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC

It's just pretentious artfaggery.

Rule number 1 on sticker promo is to never have a link on your sticker.

------------------
Old 13-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #6
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

I don't really see it as pretentious, but to each their own. More of a waste of time. The only people who care about street art are other street artists.

------------------
Old 13-01-2016, 01:49 AM   #7
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt

I'm a graffiti kind of person.

------------------
Thanks to Mctoast
GomesR (13-01-2016)
Old 13-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115610
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,351 Posts

My favourite street art/promo is when somebody writes someone else's phone number telling that this person is a whore or retard and you should call him/her and receive a free BJ. Cool.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Lug (13-01-2016)
Old 13-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Whatever you do don't put a soundcloud link on a wall you have to be better than that PLEASE
I once saw n Brighton stickers everywhere detailing a release by a local artist, it stood out in my mind as really well done. Less linky and spammy somehow, because of the quality of the sticker

the imagery provided a curiosity to check the link out or to something that says it will appeal to the person who sees it. The Link is the least important bit. No link if possible. Cool art

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Not any better than asshole bands who bomb property with their album release stickers, IMO.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
KrossKaos
Regular Freak
KrossKaos is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you do this enough, they will not hesitate to track you down if this action keeps happening. If you do it once or twice and leave your signature, you probably won't have anything to worry about, but if you do it consistently, people and the police will start to see that signature all over the place, and here's what they're going to say: "Hm, I've seen this signature in many other places as well. We better get this guy tracked down." Vandalizing isn't taken lightly in most parts of the U.S, but it mostly depends on what kind of city you live in
KrossKaos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts

If someone did that, I know I would be annoyed as fuck. Use street art as a pretext for promoting your music? fuck off, man.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
Kvlt O))) (14-01-2016)
Old 13-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Welllllll theres a lot of variation with what it can be

scribble your soundcloud on the back of the bog door with a biro then youre a bellend

what if you do massive, visually amazing art based around a character that represents your music. Like imagine if MF doom was unknown except for round his local town and on 5 or 6 walls in town there were 8 foot tall doom art? That would be fucking awesome and would add to the persona in the music ten fold

------------------
Old 13-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts

the same doom art with a text saying "check out my albums on soundcloud.com/doom" would still be lame in my view. It's cool to be into different stuff and I love to discover that a music maker I like also is a visual artist. But I wouldn't want the pieces themselves to include some kind of promoting. I mean, it's like at the end of a track you made, you'd say "and check out my mad art @ idostreetart.tumblr"

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
the same doom art with a text saying "check out my albums on soundcloud.com/doom" would still be lame in my view. It's cool to be into different stuff and I love to discover that a music maker I like also is a visual artist. But I wouldn't want the pieces themselves to include some kind of promoting. I mean, it's like at the end of a track you made, you'd say "and check out my mad art @ idostreetart.tumblr"
no i totally agree with you man a link to an internet site on anything is just awful. i mean besides all of the obvious reasons why, who the fuck is gonna write it down/remember it and type it in? if people want to find something on the internet/find out about it they will easily (providing your name isnt 'fish hooks' or 'liverpool star striker')

the point is to create interest and intruige with the art and let them find the music. ive seen tv advert campaigns do that before. for a few weeks they have only a 4 or 5 second advert that gives away nothing at all and people havent got a clue what its about. then later on they play a full length version and everybody pays attention to see what it was about in the end. thats sort of not the point but yeah...

Advertisements

------------------