Demo Submissions and how to
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Benwaa
Demo Submissions and how to

I see conversations coming up a fair bit on here and elsewhere about how one should go about submitting a demo. Now, i don't consider myself the ultimate expert on this but i have a format that gets my tracks listened to and a reply every single time. I may not get my tracks signed instantly each time, but this below is the email that always gets the reply. so don't copy/paste but have a good look and see what's contained within to ensure that reply comes

Quote:
Hey there INSERT NAME OF LABEL GUY HERE! (don't know it? find it out!) Hope you are well.
I'm Benwaa (Real Name Here), I'm a music producer from North Wales in the UK. I've been making music for around 9 or 10 years, and also DJing for 20 years around the UK and Europe with the focus now more on production. I've had releases on a few labels i respect and look up to and also on my own imprint of course - Gibbon Records. Please find attached a link to a soundcloud set of tracks i would like to send to you for consideration of listening and possibly signing too. All tracks are unmastered so you can appreciate the full dynamics of the productions and are all available in 48000/24bit WAV format should you choose to listen outside of the lower quality soundcloud player.

I have no real preference for genre, other than quality electronic music with feeling. The music that got me into all this was from becoming hooked to the way music could influence emotions and thought processes, i originally got into electronic music through the orb, FSOL, banco de gaia and other ambient/chill artists of the early 90's, leading on to discovering sasha and digweed, add to that the local outdoor rave scene around the time the sounds i discovered through those artists and parties have been a massive influence on my love of house music, and in fact it's what took me more into enjoy quality house altogether, anyway i felt that feeling the expression of others through music and sound wasn't enough, a feeling i began to get from DJing eventually too to an extent, which led me to realize i needed to be able to express myself through sounds rather than just feeling and hearing them from others. I've never really stuck to any one particular style and have always just followed whatever comes out of me in the moment, never thinking upon how a piece should go, rather allowing my instincts to take over to as a much a degree as i can. I guess this ties in with that i'm also looking to develop further as an artist with a view to working with others who share a similar reasoning behind their love of music and their passion for it too.
I've been using ableton live and a few old keyboards and other stuff in my productions as i like to explore sound in my er.. sound too, and exploring the use of space with sound. as an example i made a track entirely out of the resonance of a local suspension bridge's cables and girders and nothing else but those samples. Anyway i digress, I feel these tracks are really something I'm very happy with.
I find it a bit hard to describe my tracks individually and also how to get across what they're about, i hope the music does that better than any words can

I hope they find you well, and i very much look forward to hearing from you soon!
Link to soundcloud private set:

all tracks are downloadable in WAV format.

INSERT PRIVATE LINK HERE

Regards and love,
Real Name Here (Benwaa)
INSERT EMAIL ADDRESS HERE
hopefully this could help some of you out. and remember, always send to one label at a time rather than CC'ing all the ones you aim for, it will just fuck your chances straight away. Labels like artists to come to them only, or at least have the pretense of coming to them only. Also, the last thing you want is your two favourite labels get back to you about the same track to sign it. you'll look and feel a right dick if you have to refuse one of them after sending them the demo.
also try to leave it 2 weeks minimum before moving on to the next label as it takes about this sort of time for most labels to get through to your email and listen to your demo.
Notice i also send soundcloud links and have the option to download. This is because streaming is much more likely to get a play than something that needs downloading and takes up space to only get deleted later on. So offer a private streaming link, with the option to download. preferably in wav or aiff format too.

So yeah, good luck with your demos!

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts
Re: Demo Submissions and how to

I think this should deserve a sticky, no?

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

Wow, I just send a soundcloud link and ask to release on their label, sometimes works just like that. Thanks for this!

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

It worked! I'm famous. Good tips.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
ms_ (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910

Anybody want to guess how long before this gets copied/pasted into an email bound for the submissions here?

Thanks for helping us newbies out. I'm not at a point where I'm submitting stuff to labels yet, but there's a good chance I'll be referring back here when (or if) I start. Especially helpful is the tip about waiting for 2 weeks and going to one label at a time, I might have thought to do that if I were taking things more seriously, but I probably would have completely overlooked it.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Hope this won't sound too dumb but:
How do private links work in SoundCloud?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Hope this won't sound too dumb but:
How do private links work in SoundCloud?
You publish a track as private instead of public and then there is a "share" button which will give you a link. This way the track can only be seen and heard by the people you send this link to and won't be displayed on your public profile. Pretty simple really.

Last edited by professurreal; 08-10-2015 at 10:57 AM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
jbvdb493 (08-10-2015)
Old 21-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

id appreciate any thoughts on this, although im probably gonna do it anyway...

i sent a demo to a label i really want to get on and they sent back a very positive message:
'Hey man! love these… can’t stop listening.

Thanks for sending! We will get back to you soon '

which i thought was about as good a response as you can get but that was 5 days ago and i want them to fackin message me!!

im going away for a week tomorrow (well another 5 days) and was thinking of messaging them and saying that im gonna be away so i might not be able to respond to any messages i might get

is that me just clearly pushing for an answer which may annoy them or is it acceptible? or am i just way over thinking it. cheers

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts

tbh I would probably just set up one of those "away from the office" auto response messages

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (21-10-2015)
Old 21-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

well the thing is im secretly prompting them to reply because im dying to know what theyre gonna say, thats the hidden agenda, ill probably be able to check my emails fine lol

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
Clexxx
Minor Glitch
Clexxx is currently spamming hard
St.Pölten, Austria
MC Status: 10

thanks for sharing, I will try that soon.
i usually send a short bio and leave a soundcloud link.

cant say how effective that was, since i only had 2 releases yet, but i dont send out a demo everytime i pop out a track
Clexxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
f r
Minor Glitch
f r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

it seams like you showed us your secret, thank you for it, i will try and learn from it. i suck when it comes to using words..

Advertisements

f r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote