EQ for your Monitors
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155
EQ for your Monitors

So, we all know that unless you're balling out of control, you'll probably end up with monitors that need to be EQed to give a true, flat frequency response.

My first question is, how many of you use software vs. hardware and what are you using?

I've decided to get a 30 channel EQ as my studio desk has empty rack mounts and, I mean, we all love hardware!

My second question is, what hardware EQ would you recommend? Nothing too expensive. I think at most I would spend $300.

Advertisements

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts
Re: EQ for your Monitors

Honestly I dont think most people are EQing their monitors. Look at the system KRK makes...it reads your room accoustics and adjusts to compensate. Think its around 400.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City

$500 for something I can do myself for $100??? I'll pass on that, lol.

I like the idea behind it though... it's just too much money for a faulty device.

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

I've never heard of people EQ'ing their monitors either. That would kinda take away the point by buying monitors in the first place, cause then you'd be able to adjust any speaker to have a flat frequency response.

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110450
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,416 Posts

We call it calibrating - sounds much fancier.

Also I have never done this.
Also I don't sell music for money.
We do have calibration tools for our computer screens though as my wife makes her living through photography.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKoussa View Post
$500 for something I can do myself for $100??? I'll pass on that, lol.

I like the idea behind it though... it's just too much money for a faulty device.
Well then spend 300 dollars on an EQ man, I don't think you are going to get the results you want.

BTW, how were you planning to measure the output of the monitors to check if your EQing has flattened them?

Why don't you save your money and buy good monitors, this whole path seems ass backwards. As Dippshoe said, if you could use any old speakers and a cheap EQ to flatten them, why would anyone buy monitors?

------------------
Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
MKoussa
-_\\\
Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Well then spend 300 dollars on an EQ man, I don't think you are going to get the results you want.

BTW, how were you planning to measure the output of the monitors to check if your EQing has flattened them?

Why don't you save your money and buy good monitors, this whole path seems ass backwards. As Dippshoe said, if you could use any old speakers and a cheap EQ to flatten them, why would anyone buy monitors?
Well, I already have decent monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) but I've found them to be not-as-flat as I want. I was going to use a microphone and a spectrum analyzer go through all of the bands and adjust accordingly. This will also adjust any issues with my not-so-perfect studio.

It's kind of cheapish step until I can do more extensive work with sound proofing and drop $1200 on intense monitors.

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC

Quote:
Well, I already have decent monitors (KRK Rokit 8's) but I've found them to be not-as-flat as I want. I was going to use a microphone and a spectrum analyzer go through all of the bands and adjust accordingly. This will also adjust any issues with my not-so-perfect studio.

It's kind of cheapish step until I can do more extensive work with sound proofing and drop $1200 on intense monitors.
I believe they are a bit bass heavy from what I've heard?
If you look beyond that, they should be pretty good. Why not get to know your 8's and go with them the way they are.
Mixing with speakers you know well is way better than pouring tons of cash in to expensive gear to tweak them just that tiny bit.

EDIT: Btw, are the frequency response on the mic you are going to use flat? Probably not. So they won't give you an accurate analysis of the sound, I'm afraid.

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I might be talking out my ass, but I don't think that's going to work. I'm really not trying to shit in your cheerios. Give it a shot though as I have absolutely no evidence to back this up. Just some googling around...

------------------
Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
MKoussa
-_\\\
Kansas City

I think you guys might be right...

I mean, I've had these monitors for a couple years now and know them well but... it also means I know their weaknesses...

Oh well. Truth be told, they still do a great job. I guess I'm just being anal.

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I mean, I feel like if this was something that worked we'd have heard more about it or someone would have jumped on here and said, "yes, this is the way to do it!"

Nothing wrong with wanting a better mixing space, I just don't see this working out. The discrepancies between an inexpensive EQ, a microphone, the spectral analyzer...etc...I just don't know. I know it's possible to get good mixes in bedroom studio, I hear them all the time.

------------------
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Dippshoe
cunt

Quote:
I think you guys might be right...

I mean, I've had these monitors for a couple years now and know them well but... it also means I know their weaknesses...

Oh well. Truth be told, they still do a great job. I guess I'm just being anal.
Out of curiosity; what is their weakness?
I got the 6's myself.

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I used to have KRKs rokit 6s, I thought the mids were muddy.

------------------
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Dippshoe
cunt

Quote:
I used to have KRKs rokit 6s, I thought the mids were muddy.
I prefer my krk's to my akg k240 II's, might be because I'm a speaker guy.
I haven't really thought about the mids too much, but you might be right.

What are you using now, Relic?

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
MKoussa
-_\\\
Kansas City

Well, for their cost, they are very, very strong speakers. Just for me personally, there is a slight fluctuation in the lower end of the spectrum. I figured I could hammer out these minor issues with a 31 band EQ but I'm thinking I might just need to buckle down and get the 10" KRK sub....

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Haha, I like my AKG240s a lot.

Equator Audio D5s.

------------------
Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
Dippshoe
cunt

Quote:
Haha, I like my AKG240s a lot.

Equator Audio D5s.
I can't seem to get the mix right with my AKG's. I guess it's just me being used to my KRK's

------------------

-Dwight Schrute.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #18
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for OP

EDIT: MKoussa are you trying to add low end? What do you mean by fluctuations? You'd want to check out the low end roll off, but you can't make a pair of speakers producer sound in a frequency range that they can't reach. You could boost frequencies near the roll off, but I don't think it'd turn out well.

@Dippshoe, I felt like the AKGs helped me.

------------------
Old 13-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Zerox0013x
Minor Glitch
Zerox0013x will become famous soon enoughZerox0013x will become famous soon enough
Dubuque, Iowa
MC Status: 110

If you want a decently flat frequency response at a rather low budget I suggest the yamaha HS50ms. If you know what you are doing your production will translate very well onto any other kind of speakers. Be it car stereos or home systems. They are very detailed, and shows you exactly what doesnt sound right in the mix. They lack a lot of bass though. Maybe if you have the money invest in the subwoofer that is in the HS series. Or get the bigger size monitors which are the HS80ms. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I must say it was a very good purchase.
Zerox0013x is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
filthy
Minor Glitch
filthy is a glorious beacon of lightfilthy is a glorious beacon of lightfilthy is a glorious beacon of lightfilthy is a glorious beacon of lightfilthy is a glorious beacon of light
Perth
MC Status: 460

I have been considering trying this even though I have heard it isn't recommended (compared to treating your room). My problem is my studio sounds terrible (not my monitors). It is almost a perfect cube with the ceiling the same height as the width and the length only a fraction longer. This gives me lots of problems getting an accurate low end. When I sweep a sine wave I get heaps of obvious peaks and nulls.

It should be pretty easy to tune by ear and an eq but I'm not to confident it will work. It won't hurt to try, so Ill let you know the results.

Advertisements

filthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote