Roland MC 303 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 25-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351
Re: Roland MC 303

I still don't understand the difference between ESX-1 and EMX-1 lol

Advertisements

------------------

:holadines:
reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564780
Thanked 7,477 Times in 5,279 Posts

I think the defining difference is you can't load external sounds onto the EMX. Much about them is similar.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #23
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351

ah okay; so basically the ESX is the same as the EMX but you can load samples into it.. so it comes with built in samples already right?

didn't BoC use samplers?

are samplers better than synthesizers?

------------------

:holadines:
reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110500
Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,417 Posts

Are apples better than bananas?

Both have applications - which do you think you might like better? If you don't know then --

Watch youtube, read reviews, read the manuals.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #25
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticent View Post
ah okay; so basically the ESX is the same as the EMX but you can load samples into it.. so it comes with built in samples already right?

didn't BoC use samplers?

are samplers better than synthesizers?
Look, I'm trying to be helpful here...and the ESX and EMX have many similarities and differences. Do your research. I'm not going to sit here and describe every nuane of these machines to you. The information is readily available on vintagesynth.com and other websites.

I have no idea what BoC uses to be quite honest.

As to your third question, there is now answer to that. They simply do different things. It depends on what you need for your setup, what you are trying to accomplish.

My honest advice to you based on this conversation is that you not rush to spend your money on something when you don't understand what it really does and what you need in your setup.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (26-02-2013)
Old 26-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #26
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487454
Thanked 1,000 Times in 729 Posts

The MC303 is awesome. $175 is a decent price. Go for it!

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

I/O Madness is trolling you.

The mc 303 is total fucking garbage at any price. If someone wanted to give me one I'd take it but only to sell it to someone that didn't know better on eBay.

Stay away.

Also, as has been said before, do your research before you buy anything. If you don't know what it does or what you need it for don't buy it.

Last edited by RFJ; 26-02-2013 at 06:41 AM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

...And BoC used years and years of hard work and dedication to their craft above anything else they could buy.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
sup909
Minor Glitch
sup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MCsup909 is a savage MC
Bolingbrook, IL
MC Status: 149445

Not sure why everyone is ragging so hard on the MC-303. It is actually a great little box. It was later surpassed by the MC-505, but $175 for a 303 I think is a great deal.

------------------
sup909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup909 View Post
Not sure why everyone is ragging so hard on the MC-303. It is actually a great little box. It was later surpassed by the MC-505, but $175 for a 303 I think is a great deal.
You look around you can get an ESX for 125 more (Smart Media model). Which isn't a lot. And the ESX is much more capable. You can load all the analog wave forms on it you want and I'm pretty sure it has more sound shaping options.

Personally I'm not raging on it. Just giving my opinion having read about the MC-303 and having owned an ESX and worked with it a lot.

Do you know if you can record automation with the MC-303? That would be a factor for me personally. That was key for doing sound design/resampling on the ESX...

------------------
Old 26-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487454
Thanked 1,000 Times in 729 Posts

I'm not trolling. My piano teacher in high school had a mc303 we used for some songs. I know Auto used to use one. It is its own thing. I say give it a try. Though I think what everyone is getting at is don't fall into the "endless upgrade" sort of thinking. Once you buy this, you can see another piece of equipment that has something the MC303 doesn't, and you'll try to sell the MC303 at a used instrument store for half of its value to make the new purchase less expensive. I've done that! If you do get the MC303, use it, stick with it, learn it...

It is your money, and the MC303 is a good piece of gear. It's just if you start comparing it to other hardware AFTER you buy it and say, "oh... this doesn't have this nifty feature this other one has... I can't make music on this... I need that.". Make music with what you have, and don't constantly change pieces of gear. Get to know your gear. Spend time with it. If you really don't like it after using it for a while, trade it for something else, but actually TRY IT OUT. Don't throw money away.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
v.kulla
Regular Freak
v.kulla has a spectacular aura aboutv.kulla has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Just purchased one from ebay. Jammed with it for the first time yesterday. After some manual diving it was easy to get started. Added an effect chain to it (reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, pitchshifter). I was intending to use it as a simple drum machine for live use and I must say that Im more than pleased. Definitely a good purchase. But I believe the limited user memory will be a problem.
v.kulla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #33
Bruto Bello
Regular Freak
Bruto Bello will become famous soon enoughBruto Bello will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I highly recommend the electribe ESX. It can do so much compared to the MC 303. The electribe can sample, warp loops, record realtime automation (even effect tweak automation), time stretch (without pitch shifting) and pitch shift (without time stretching) samples. And yes if you want you can even load in 808 drums and some raw saw and square waves to program squelchy TB-303 and TR-808 style acid. So basically it can do what the MC-303 does plus more.
I have a review of it on my blog, but can't post links here yet:
Search "carillon audio electribe review"

Advertisements

Bruto Bello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote