Production Style Consistency
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 25-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
staticvision
Learning The Ropes
staticvision is currently spamming hard
Baltimore, MD
MC Status: 10
Production Style Consistency

Something I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on is I like to play a lot of music, a lot of genres, and I've honed in on 2 that I have seamlessly meshed together, the question is though, I sometimes play stuff that is of a lighter mood, and then I have some songs that get so dark that it has made the hairs on the back of my friends necks stand up. I'm just wondering is it okay to have a good mixture of moods/atmospheres under your sound?...I combine Drum and Bass and Hip Hop with ambient and deep bass which to me is very easy to go very dark or light with.

Advertisements

staticvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Clark - Iradelphic
Old 25-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Production Style Consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvision View Post
I'm just wondering is it okay to have a good mixture of moods/atmospheres under your sound?...I combine Drum and Bass and Hip Hop with ambient and deep bass which to me is very easy to go very dark or light with.
If you're a Dj: Read the crowd whilst playing; adjust the direction accordingly.

If you're putting together a set: Do what you love. Listen to feedback; adjust accordingly.

Or: Just plough on with what you love despite everyone else.

Last edited by scyn; 25-01-2012 at 01:00 PM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
1=1? (09-07-2014)
Old 25-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

if you've made music that your friends truly like then it doesnt matter you're destined to be a superstar no matter what

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
voyagee
Regular Freak
voyagee is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 12

I think that's right thing to do, most mixes are pretty dull anyway. If a mix (or an album) is eclectic yet it feels that it has some sort of 'core' (i.e. it's not like pretty much everything was thrown into the pot, but rather different tunes/textures/sounds that complement each other really well), it's the best result you could achieve. Borders of genres are blured these days anyway, and holding on to a certain style in many cases means that one is not open-minded enough. Aphex Twin has always been doing what he wanted yet got much recognition... "Drum and Bass and Hip Hop with ambient and deep bass" sounds like a good combo, can't see what's wrong with it at all.
voyagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Major Key
Learning The Ropes
Major Key is currently spamming hard
London

All great music or artists take risks, Meat Beat Manifesto, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles Clash The Doors, Eno, Kraftwerk Pink Floyd etc.. all evolved throughout their musical lifespans, often gaining respect and reinforcing a special relationship with their fans that you only get when you've been on a journey together, so much nowadays is... it seems to me homogenized, I believe there's a lot more creative original potential out there being repressed and just waiting to be tapped into!

Last edited by Major Key; 27-01-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Major Key is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
TangenTDubstep
Regular Freak
TangenTDubstep is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Key View Post
All great music or artists take risks, Meat Beat Manifesto, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles Clash The Doors, Eno, Kraftwerk Pink Floyd etc.. all evolved throughout their musical lifespans, often gaining respect and reinforcing a special relationship with their fans that you only get when you've been on a journey together, so much nowadays is it seems to me is homogenized, I believe there's a lot more creative original potential out there being repressed and waiting to be tapped into!
I couldn't agree more. I feel alot of producers/musicians are restricting themselves from creating anything that's outside of "the format". When all the best artists create things off their raw and unfiltered creativity. The only format we as musicians should follow are ones that keep us within the same creative vision so we don't get sidetracked with ideas and stray away from what we were aiming for. Its the tunes that break the mold that we remember the most. And it's those tunes that we can play over and over again without getting completely tired of.
TangenTDubstep is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Will.E.P.
Ghostly
Will.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MC
North Carolina
MC Status: 7678117

I would myself would rather listen to a shit load of variation then stuff that is raging the whole time.

I have a gun to my head by the end of an album that is pure filthy dubstep, and I am asleep by the end of an ambient album. Variation is nice.

I think the key to making a good album with it is balance and smooth transitions. Not just randomness of everything.

------------------
- William

Will.E.P. (Me) - Polaroids
Will.E.P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
staticvision
Learning The Ropes
Baltimore, MD

Guys thanks for all the replies! I did just want to clarify I don't try to sound like anyone I just give myself a set number of guidelines now because without them, I've created about 100 barely started or half finished tracks. But my guidelines cohere to my creativity! Drum and Bass, Hip Hop, Ambient, and Deep Bass, are just genres I always end up creating or have friends say that I' good at writing! So I've taken it upon myself to try and mesh them all together and I think it is going to work out well! I have a teaser up on my soundcloud called "Guiding Peterson Fields" please check it out and you can see what I mean when you listen to that and the song below it because the mood changes DRASTICALLY! While the song under it..."After Hours" is an extremely old song I reuploaded the mood is something I like creating in my music along with the lighter moods!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Currently Listening To: Jeremy Ellis
Old 27-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

It's just weird to me that there's this stigma surrounding artists that branch out into multiple genres/styles/moods in their music. The idea that you have to stick to one thing was created by record labels who were trying to make a quick buck on the follow up of a hit song.

Nowadays no one is making much money from music. You're not burdened with the pressure of confining yourself to one particular style. Music is expression. If you feel like writing a trance tune one day and a heavy jungle track the next DO IT. At the end of the day you're just here to express yourself through your creative works. Don't let your audience corner you into doing something you're not comfortable with.
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Anodyne Industries
oly (28-06-2014)
Old 27-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Major Key
Learning The Ropes
Major Key is currently spamming hard
London

I agree!
Major Key is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne Industries View Post
It's just weird to me that there's this stigma surrounding artists that branch out into multiple genres/styles/moods in their music. The idea that you have to stick to one thing was created by record labels who were trying to make a quick buck on the follow up of a hit song.

Nowadays no one is making much money from music. You're not burdened with the pressure of confining yourself to one particular style. Music is expression. If you feel like writing a trance tune one day and a heavy jungle track the next DO IT. At the end of the day you're just here to express yourself through your creative works. Don't let your audience corner you into doing something you're not comfortable with.

The first part of the problem is the musician him/her self... The real reason why artists run into issue trying knew things is because they have painted themselves in a corner of a genre. Its best to be as fluid as possible when starting out in the music industry such as it is or realize that if your one thing for too long people wont get the new you later.... Once youve got a gathering of fans from doing say Trance for upwards of 5-10 years its hard to then move into Hardcore Gangsta Dubstep, or whatever without people scratching their heads and or calling ya a sellout to whats popular that day, or thinking you cant hack the genre youve been creating thus far any more.

Take the now famous scenerio of Metallica. They stuck to Heavy metal for the most part but changed just the style of it and everyone freaked out. But if they had been exprerimental more often in their approach no one would have cared.

Though it was the hair cutting that did them in for me...

Last edited by agent; 27-01-2012 at 11:55 PM..
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
staticvision
Learning The Ropes
Baltimore, MD

There is yet another problem...If music is just a hobby then yes you should play whatever as it comes out of your brain and into production, but when you want to also make money doing the one thing you are good at, you've got to take marketing into consideration, hobby is fun, and business is work, there is a time and place for both. If you are musician aspiring to create a commercial name for themselves then you must assess your demographic and like a few posters have mentioned earlier, adjust accordingly. But hey it's the weekend and you don't feel like working anymore, so now you have time for your hobby, and you can go in any direction you want!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
knarf909
Soundwave Mangler
knarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MC
San Jose, CA
MC Status: 18395255

Yeah. like most people on here have said. Personally unless you only wanna produce Dubstep, Electro, ETC.
Produce that one style only. But don't be upset if you get bored and lose drive to create and hit dead ends.

on there other hand if you just wanna be a producer. just produce music, by the style of your choosing!

become a music scientist. explore your talents in different genres. test theory's and ideas. and prove people wrong!

=]

keep making tunes!

-frank panduh

------------------
"Have You ever had a dreamps?" http://www.soundcloud.com/frankpanduh
knarf909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvision View Post
There is yet another problem...If music is just a hobby then yes you should play whatever as it comes out of your brain and into production, but when you want to also make money doing the one thing you are good at, you've got to take marketing into consideration, hobby is fun, and business is work, there is a time and place for both. If you are musician aspiring to create a commercial name for themselves then you must assess your demographic and like a few posters have mentioned earlier, adjust accordingly. But hey it's the weekend and you don't feel like working anymore, so now you have time for your hobby, and you can go in any direction you want!
Unless you know you're exceptional i dont know why so many people assume there is a place in this world to make money from music. you make it seem like people have a choice to keep it as a hobby or not. basicaly no one here should stick to the same style unless it feels right

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post

Take the now famous scenerio of Metallica. They stuck to Heavy metal for the most part but changed just the style of it and everyone freaked out. But if they had been exprerimental more often in their approach no one would have cared.

Though it was the hair cutting that did them in for me...
Except that Metallica got less experimental not more when they changed from Metal to Pop.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #16
MORZ42
Analog Lurker
MORZ42 has a spectacular aura aboutMORZ42 has a spectacular aura about
Portland, Oregon
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangenTDubstep View Post
The only format we as musicians should follow are ones that keep us within the same creative vision so we don't get sidetracked with ideas and stray away from what we were aiming for.
Gold

------------------
MORZ42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

I can't seem to be able to make more than 2 or 3 songs in the same style. I just can't help it.
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangenTDubstep View Post
I couldn't agree more. I feel alot of producers/musicians are restricting themselves from creating anything that's outside of "the format". When all the best artists create things off their raw and unfiltered creativity. The only format we as musicians should follow are ones that keep us within the same creative vision so we don't get sidetracked with ideas and stray away from what we were aiming for. Its the tunes that break the mold that we remember the most. And it's those tunes that we can play over and over again without getting completely tired of.
My theory is that this is less common in edm slanted electronic music because so much of (at least the amateur community's) time and effort is spent focused on quality of design/mixing; that a good song lacking those qualities is not enough.

It seems the demand from the majority is to have both, but if not both, you'll at least garner more attention if you're able to compete in the 'loudness war' even though your compositions are severely lacking.

There are scores of professionals/semi-famous/famous musicians who can get away with this, so why not everyone? (is probably the thinking pattern). In the end, the overall community puts mixing and sound design above arrangement, whereas for most of music history, the focus had always been novelty in approach to composition with the occasional added bonus of designing a new sound or cutting a crystal clear album. I don't think every piece of music should be 'tight' or 'clear' because not every piece calls for it but then maybe this is just my excuse for having shitty mixes. Dammit. It's too much work fuck faces, the music suffers, think of the children! : (
A Tree is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #19
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

I agree with the posts here.

* It's good to have different projects.
* You can vary a lot even in a single album so long as there is a "core" which unifies things somehow. Even if not, a very eclectic album can have its own charm. Drukqs by Aphex Twin, with the prepared piano, etc... (which is both eclectic and possessing of a "core").
* Unity can help an audience understand your music, absolutely. But too much sameness means people in your audience who have good taste will get bored. So it's a balance.
* There's nothing stopping us from releasing under different monikers, if we are concerned about confusing an audience. E.g. IDM goes under "Kreddy Frueger" and string quartets go under "mr Wibbledy Composerer." This works well for a number of established artists I can think of. Like an author who publishes under different names (Stephen King aka Richard Bachman).

Basically, the last thing you want to do is dumb down your music because you imagine you'll get an economic advantage. That's possibly the opposite of the truth... (in my view)

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
paul-slacknoise

I recently discovered that it is quite nice to work parallel on various projects. It gives you different input ideas for your other projects. ITs quite time consuming thats the problem. But in general my friends told me that they can always identify me in the track so i guess there is consistency even though i am doing sometimes really minimal sounds, other times i am doing really ambient easy listening music and on the other hand when i feel like it i am producing this kicking progressive techno.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote