Please help with drum loops.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
raver101
Regular Freak
raver101 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon7 Please help with drum loops.

Hi Everyone,

I love the music but I have never created any myself. I have started to use Kong drum designer and I was wondering, Is there a website or something that explains the different ways to create beats that are specific to different genres like Ambient, House, D&B, Jungle and Techo etc?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

raver101 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8310
Re: Please help with drum loops.

YouTube?
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
raver101
Regular Freak

I found a lot material on youtube about specific daws but not about what the different beats are between the styles.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
rahkshinaw
Learning The Ropes
rahkshinaw will become famous soon enough
Georgia
MC Status: 60

I'm sure there's some kind of help on the actual website. Image-Line and Ableton are good about that but I'm not too familiar with what you're using.
rahkshinaw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rahkshinaw
bbb (13-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
raver101
Regular Freak

yea, what I was looking for is the practical theory behind it. I suppose not a lot of people are into that.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by raver101 View Post
yea, what I was looking for is the practical theory behind it. I suppose not a lot of people are into that.

try a tutorial on how to make the kind of music you would like to make....it doesnt have to be a tutorial made on your DAW....the theory is always the same....once you get it you can make it in any software(providing it has options to do it )

i find it heelps me a lot breaking down songs i like, you know, sort-of remaking them, analysing how could i do that beat or that lead.... its like learning the guitar....start with covers, and when it comes to make your own songs you will have a basic idea on what to do.....at least that is how it works for me(im a noob tho )
spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

What is it, exactly, you're trying to recreate? The sound or the rhythm? Putting in samples and MIDI is the same in just about every DAW, you just have to put it in a different place. You use Live, so you put the MIDI in the piano thingie at the bottom, you drag samples onto the grid doo-dah. Not to get overly scientific on you, there.

If you want to recreate rhythm, just look up on YouPoop how to do it. There are exactly lots and lots of tutorials showing you exactly how.

Hip hop [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Techno [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

House [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Drum & bass [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There you go, there's four tutorial for Live I found by searching YouTube four times. I did not watch them because I can not be bothered.

If all else fails, which it won't, drop a loop into Live and recreate it using samples.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
raver101
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spejs View Post
try a tutorial on how to make the kind of music you would like to make....it doesnt have to be a tutorial made on your DAW....the theory is always the same....once you get it you can make it in any software(providing it has options to do it )

i find it heelps me a lot breaking down songs i like, you know, sort-of remaking them, analysing how could i do that beat or that lead.... its like learning the guitar....start with covers, and when it comes to make your own songs you will have a basic idea on what to do.....at least that is how it works for me(im a noob tho )
Thanks spejs , I find it very difficult to analyze how to make different drum loops, it's all new to me.

Here is a different question then since I asked the wrong question at the start. How would you start to do a cover of say Peshay - Piano Tune or where would you start in trying to do a cover version of it?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
raver101
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
What is it, exactly, you're trying to recreate? The sound or the rhythm? Putting in samples and MIDI is the same in just about every DAW, you just have to put it in a different place. You use Live, so you put the MIDI in the piano thingie at the bottom, you drag samples onto the grid doo-dah. Not to get overly scientific on you, there.

If you want to recreate rhythm, just look up on YouPoop how to do it. There are exactly lots and lots of tutorials showing you exactly how.

Hip hop

Techno

House

Drum & bass

There you go, there's four tutorial for Live I found by searching YouTube four times. I did not watch them because I can not be bothered.

If all else fails, which it won't, drop a loop into Live and recreate it using samples.
Thanks Bipolar Joe, I am trying to create the sound and the rhythm. I am starting from scratch here so I will try to drag the samples onto the piano thingie. All the tutorials i looked up where too advanced for me. The ones you posted where a great help apart from the first one which is beyond my level. Recreating samples well I will give it a try.

Time to make some beats
Old 13-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper

Quote:
Thanks spejs , I find it very difficult to analyze how to make different drum loops, it's all new to me.

Here is a different question then since I asked the wrong question at the start. How would you start to do a cover of say Peshay - Piano Tune or where would you start in trying to do a cover version of it?
mhm...im not into dnb, but i guess it is always the same.....i try to sing the drums in my head, you know tup cah tup tup cah, and go from there....then you try and find out the bpm...and then you add the bass, and for last piano and fx...once you got that you just have to put all the puzzles together...but again...this is just how my mind works....it is not necessary that yours will too...but i saw some awsome dnb tutorials on youtube(cant post links but type this in:"Drum and Bass Tutorial: Day 1 - Making a DnB Beat" -this is from boy in a band-i like him a lot, because he really makes clear what he does)
even if you dont have the DAW in the tutorials you should be able to gasp what they are doing(if you have a modest understanding of your workstation)

i myself am now in a loop trying to replicate a sound from psyclon 9, and i just am not in the mindset, so all that comes out is generic synthpop tunes, its frustrating but the better the chase, the better the catch, right
Old 13-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
raver101
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spejs View Post
mhm...im not into dnb, but i guess it is always the same.....i try to sing the drums in my head, you know tup cah tup tup cah, and go from there....then you try and find out the bpm...and then you add the bass, and for last piano and fx...once you got that you just have to put all the puzzles together...but again...this is just how my mind works....it is not necessary that yours will too...but i saw some awsome dnb tutorials on youtube(cant post links but type this in:"Drum and Bass Tutorial: Day 1 - Making a DnB Beat" -this is from boy in a band-i like him a lot, because he really makes clear what he does)
even if you dont have the DAW in the tutorials you should be able to gasp what they are doing(if you have a modest understanding of your workstation)

i myself am now in a loop trying to replicate a sound from psyclon 9, and i just am not in the mindset, so all that comes out is generic synthpop tunes, its frustrating but the better the chase, the better the catch, right
Loving boy in a band. If anyone is interested I would like to change the tone of this topic or move up a level if you like. How about deconstructing psyclon 9 parasitic from the beginning? The questions I have are
what are all the different elements being used to compose the tune?
I am talking generally as a starting point.
Old 13-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Not to come off like a dick, but look up something called critical listening, and download Smexoscope, or something similar. We can help you learn, but I'm only willing if you do all the work yourself. It's part of my new initiative called "I am quite lazy."

Step one is putting the track into yr DAW, turning Warp off and finding the BPM. It's easy enough. Then just note down the times things happen, like "Bass - 45 seconds" or "Arpeggio - 1:17." Using smexoscope, you can see the wave form, which will give you an idea of how the sound is made. Is the bass square in shape? Then it's a squarewave. That easy.
Old 13-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Have you looked at the Propellerheads website?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Now you mentioned Kong so I am assuming you are using Reason.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This site is awesome. I actually bought the book, which goes into depth about each device way beyond the manual for Reason and the website.

Here is the book I bought.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Loving boy in a band. If anyone is interested I would like to change the tone of this topic or move up a level if you like. How about deconstructing psyclon 9 parasitic from the beginning? The questions I have are
what are all the different elements being used to compose the tune?
I am talking generally as a starting point.
not shure what you are askiing, but what i do, when i just jam in live : i make drums, then a couple of basslines that fit, then some leads and pads for the back.....then i load some fx and some raises and drops...and then i just jam....if it is good i record it...i would suggest you search for specific tutorials, like how to make pads or how to make synths, also try this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
...it helped me a lot to understand the basis of synth and electronic music....
for me the best way to learn is to just play around the DAW and VSTi for as much time as i can....slowly you get it....
Old 13-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
raver101
Regular Freak

Brilliant, thanks Bipolar Joe, Muse-ic and spejs

Thats loads of material for me to be checking out. I will be back next week once I have done some practicing.

I have got reason and live lite. I have just found deconstructing Orbital chime on youtube, I cant put any links up yet.
Old 13-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

I think he's asking what all goes into the tracks sound. I mean, obviously bass/guitar/drums, a bunch of rave stabs, and a male choir pad of some sort, pitch-shifted vox, and painkillers. Probably better to start this as a separate topic though, since its far from the original question, at least if you want more forum browsers to come across it and offer advice.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
Wulfsok (13-04-2014)
Old 13-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

im confused. penguin made a great point about the different sonic elements to a particular genre.

but seriously, if you cant hear the drums of a track well enough to reproduce them, you need more practice. tutorials will not make you into a masterclass producer, if anything theyre just good pieces of inspiration.

try this:

take a song you want to reproduce in some way. got it? good. now take that same song and stick it into a blank track in reason/whatever.

still following? good. that is called your "reference track"

now look at the waveform. reallll hard. notice how those peaks seem to correspond with the kick drum? take your drum sample, and start plopping them down, lining them up with the reference track.

boom, now you just reproduced the kick pattern of a song. keep looking at that waveform, zoom if you have to. eventually you will notice certain peaks along certain bands correspond to different drum elements, as well as tonal elements. start deconstructing your reference track.

and now for the fun part. take everything you laid out, and start mashing them and moving them around. learn to love the space bar (or your external transport)

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

I think it is a two=fold issue. The OP probably needs to learn how to program the device, which is Kong (reason) first and then learn how to deconstruct the sounds of the various genres.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I think it is a two=fold issue. The OP probably needs to learn how to program the device, which is Kong (reason) first and then learn how to deconstruct the sounds of the various genres.
thats pretty overwhelming. i remember when i started my little loops sounded like badly programmed vintage 808s.

after all, playing "hot cross buns" over and over may train your fingers well but it destroys motivation

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Benwaa

Here's the solution to every question in this thread.
Make stuff, listen, make stuff, listen, make stuff listen listen listen listen make stuff listen LISTEN

Repeat ad infinity, the only way you'll do any if this it just keep trying and playing with sounds and listening and listening. Essentially you're training in every aspect you need for any element in music making, and like any training it takes time and dedication. The more work and time you out in the more you'll get out, and every step you take whether it's your goal or way short if it, you'll have learned and understood something, you may not immediately know what but one time you'll find it's just natural to make a kick sound just how you want, or the bass have a really subtle squelch perfectly placed.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote