Composition workflow, what processes work for you. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #81
cole minor
Minor Glitch
cole minor will become famous soon enoughcole minor will become famous soon enough
Ft Myers FL
MC Status: 110
Re: Composition workflow, what processes work for you.

Switch up your composition workflow for different sounds. Sometimes I just flip thru instruments and play on the keys til I get a good chord progression or lead melody. Then I tap tempo at the speed of what I just came up with, then make a basic metranome with just a snare and kick or use FL studio metranome.. I play what I came up with. then I fix any places I may have played something wrong. Then I loop that and take my snare and kick only metranome and turn it into an actual drum loop. Then I add more instruments. Then bass. Then breakdowns. Then mastering. then proof listening, adjustments, final mix.

Sometimes I start with the drums or the drums and bass, the drums have a lot to do with the vibe of the song, starting with the drums I'll make a cool loop, about 16 bars. Then I'll loop that for a few min, I'll play along to it til I come up with something catchy and a cool instrument. Then I'll record over my drums n build the beat from there.. so sometimes I start from no drums and just simply the keyboard and the sounds I can put on it, and other times I start with the drums/bass. Other times I start with the atmosphere of the song, using a pad with some cool chords to get a basic vibe.

Advertisements

cole minor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote