The first note always sounds "right"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 13-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752900
The first note always sounds "right"

This is kind of hard to explain. But sometimes when writing a melody, I'll get stuck on a certain note... and i'll play it over and over and think it sounds good. Then I'll second guess myself and change the note. But NONE of the other notes in the scale sound right after listening a bunch of times...

This this a thing that's just in the brain? that you've heard it hit on that note so many times, it seems "right", and no other notes seem to sound as good?

I don't even know if this makes sense or if anybody else even has this, so I understand I'm kind of shooting this question in the dark haha.

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: the first note always sounds "Right"

The 5th? The minor or major 3rd? 7th? The tritone?
I have no idea what you mean. Post an example perhaps?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029641
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,503 Posts

I think he's either completely tone deaf or has an ear for the root note.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Evelon (13-11-2013)
Old 13-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
root note.
I fell out of my chair. Writing this standing up, hunched over the keyboard.

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (05-01-2014)
Old 13-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926

root note all the way bro, guetta style
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510
Re: The first note always sounds "right"

It's very difficult to decipher what you're trying to say. Would you please make a recording and post a link so we can hear what you're trying to futilely convey via wordage?
arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
This is kind of hard to explain. But sometimes when writing a melody, I'll get stuck on a certain note... and i'll play it over and over and think it sounds good.
So yo've got 5 notes: C D E F G, and you'll get stuck on (for example) the E and play it over and over and it sounds good.
Quote:
Then I'll second guess myself and change the note. But NONE of the other notes in the scale sound right after listening a bunch of times...
So you change the E to an F# and play that note for a bit and then play the other notes C D _ F G and they don't sound right.

Maybe it's just because you've taken one note (the E you changed to an F#) out of your original scale (CMaj or whatever)? It's natural that if you accustom your ear to a particular scale and you play a note that isn't in that scale, that the other notes won't sound 'right'. Unless I've also just misunderstood what you were trying to say here...
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

I often find myself in a position where I don't like what I've got, but any change feels worse! I think it happens when I listen to something too many times. Have you tried taking a break before listening to the changed music?

Also I find a lot of the time, in compositions I really admire, it's the notes I would have dismissed out of hand if I were writing it that I really like, because they work in the context of the whole piece. So possibly, once you've made this change that just doesn't sound as good, see if there's anything you can do to the rest of the melody, or the rest of the harmony to make it sound more natural.

My own way of dealing with this problem is to get annoyed and go back to tweaking reverbs. YMMV.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752900

Mister Crow you are hitting closest to what I mean. It's through repetition of listening to something over and over... your mind almost tricks you into thinking that's the way it should sound... so any other note sounds 'wrong' when in fact they aren't. If i take time away and come back to it, and try different notes they kind of work. It's a weird thing with my brain I've noticed haha.

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

Still haven't linked an example. As for notes, changing to obe that is out of key, doesn't ever sound good to me. Most of the time I do find myself trying to write a new pattern and it sounds shit, more than the other same notes I wrote at a different time.

I also tend to write my melody more or less when I play my lower stuff. And base other elements off octaves and 3rd and 5ths. Due to my playing ability and what I'm making my lower octaves move slower with more focus on the top end.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942681
Thanked 5,690 Times in 3,584 Posts

I come across this sometimes with melodies where I can't seem to find a new part that 'works' and in fact one song I'm working on now I have this awesome part but can't for the life of me figure out where I want it to go both structurally and melodically. Dont have much to contribute other than keep chugging away at it and eventually you find something, maybe? heh

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

i think i know what you mean, you'll have a little loop playing for a while then you might move the note a semi tone or 2, but no matter what it just doesnt fit. sounds to high or low pitched and even though the first note doesnt seem the work the others are worse. only way to really "fix" your brain from thinking this is just leaving it for a little bit and coming back to it, maybe the next day or something.

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Yeah i had this issue with a distorted synth i had, part of it was slightly off tune - i found out when i bounced it down and listened in my car it was way off..
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Mister Crow you are hitting closest to what I mean. It's through repetition of listening to something over and over... your mind almost tricks you into thinking that's the way it should sound... so any other note sounds 'wrong' when in fact they aren't. If i take time away and come back to it, and try different notes they kind of work. It's a weird thing with my brain I've noticed haha.
its even more annoying when you pitch bend something or have an instrument slightly out of tune, like in reggae. is it better to tune it all or does it actually sound better slightly off. sometimes I need like a month away from tune to decide this and even then Im not sure sometimes.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
abookcase
Minor Glitch
abookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura about
Guernsey
MC Status: 210

If your struggling with a melody, get up and leave the room. Its a bad idea to keep at it as as you say, your ear starts to get used to the current melody and starts to like it, even if it is truly crap.
Leave it till the morning and try again....
abookcase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Evelon
IDMf Artist

------------------
Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
Haef
Granular Poster
Haef has a spectacular aura aboutHaef has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
This is kind of hard to explain. But sometimes when writing a melody, I'll get stuck on a certain note... and i'll play it over and over and think it sounds good. Then I'll second guess myself and change the note. But NONE of the other notes in the scale sound right after listening a bunch of times...

This this a thing that's just in the brain? that you've heard it hit on that note so many times, it seems "right", and no other notes seem to sound as good?

I don't even know if this makes sense or if anybody else even has this, so I understand I'm kind of shooting this question in the dark haha.
A lot of times when you play a note and then return to it while remaining in key during a melody it sounds right because you are returning to the melodies key, like say for example you have D F# A B G D, it sounds like the first note was right because you are operating within the "key" of D
Haef is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #18
deeplove
Minor Glitch
deeplove will become famous soon enoughdeeplove will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

root note. lol
deeplove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to deeplove
PROton42 (30-01-2014)
Old 30-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
Suffice
Analog Lurker
Suffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of lightSuffice is a glorious beacon of light
South Portland, Maine
MC Status: 510

root note.
the square root of note.
note rooted.
nute root in the poot.
Suffice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Reebs
Granular Poster
Reebs has a spectacular aura aboutReebs has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I think your problem, as other suggested, is simply to be hearing it too much. Dunno, but it seems that way. Sometimes i get myself really unhappy with the whole song, melody, rhythm, whatever. It does not seems to work. Usually i just ignore this feeling and continue to work on other parts or simply give it a rest and go work on other stuff. It usually works well, either i return to the song and drop it because i see that it has no future, or ideas simply come rushing towards me and i complete the whole thing and what made me unsatisfied before now is a favorite part in the song. The whole thing seems very much a psychological, instead of structural, problem.

But i'm just guessing here. You were very vague.

Advertisements

Reebs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote