writing songs and starting with the melodies first (before drums) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #21
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310
Re: writing songs and starting with the melodies first (before drums)

There are no rules really. Whatever works for you whatever makes it easier etc

Advertisements

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510

You'll probably end up doing your own thing no matter what we suggest, but I'll share a secret that has really improved my songs: (1) create a very catchy melody with a rhythm to it (2) convert that melody into a chord progression (3) overlay your bass and lead synth melody on top of the chords. The nice part is that harmonization becomes trivial at that point, and everything will fit together really nice!
arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #23
Aristotelis777
Learning The Ropes
Aristotelis777 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

There's no "perfect" way for writing a song. You can start with the melody or the chords progression... or with the rhythm section. I just make sure I have different variations (or pontuations when it's time to do the rhythm section). You can make a pre-intro section, an intro section, a verse section, an mid-section, a solo section, and an outro section.
Aristotelis777 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #24
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510

Whether you choose to do the melody, chords, rhythm, percussion, etc, whatever, first --- bear in mind that whatever you do first will influence everything that you add after it -- especially if you add the chords first. The backup, lead, etc, will all likely be strongly influenced by the chords when you go to harmonize each addition. If the chord progression has a complex rhythm, that will affect your percussion. The later on in the production process that you try to add things, the less pliable the song is and thus significant shoe-horning becomes necessary. I've tried all sorts of approaches and chord rhythm first has worked very well.
arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
Aristotelis777
Learning The Ropes
Aristotelis777 is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeggio_junkie View Post
Whether you choose to do the melody, chords, rhythm, percussion, etc, whatever, first --- bear in mind that whatever you do first will influence everything that you add after it -- especially if you add the chords first. The backup, lead, etc, will all likely be strongly influenced by the chords when you go to harmonize each addition. If the chord progression has a complex rhythm, that will affect your percussion. The later on in the production process that you try to add things, the less pliable the song is and thus significant shoe-horning becomes necessary. I've tried all sorts of approaches and chord rhythm first has worked very well.
In fact, I never compose an entire song. I compose different parts in different time signature and when I feel this specific part can be added to this particular song, I adjust this section to the key.
Aristotelis777 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #26
hcgaron
Granular Poster
hcgaron will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Just one man's opinion, I think starting with the melody is a great idea. This way you are actually composing - starting with the drums is more like producing a puzzle. You can come up with some good things, but it will heavily constrain your melodic ideas.

That being said, sometimes sections of songs are great with only percussion, so don't be afraid to put some contrast in by doing one section with the melody first then one section with percussion emphasis.
hcgaron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #27
Alex-Zar
Regular Freak
Alex-Zar will become famous soon enough
Canberra
MC Status: 60

I'm extremely new to producing and have watched a lot of tutorials lately that always start with the drums and perc then add the bass next, followed by chords and melody later. I was having a hard time trying to write my own stuff as I couldn't get chords to match the bass line.

I've been experimenting and found it do much easier to start with the chords and then add everything else later.
Alex-Zar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #28
Fighta Pilot
Microknight
Fighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to beholdFighta Pilot is a splendid one to behold
London
MC Status: 760

This is very confusing.

Is it best to start with drums or melody? This thread is like a whole mish-mash of conflicting answers, almost like there isn't a single solution to this problem.

The OP clearly wants to know which is best, so please stop teasing him.

- Anyway, the answer is obviously 'start with drums'.

OK, now we can move on.

------------------
Fighta Pilot, 'Line-1'
Fighta Pilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #29
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighta Pilot View Post
This is very confusing.

Is it best to start with drums or melody? This thread is like a whole mish-mash of conflicting answers, almost like there isn't a single solution to this problem.

The OP clearly wants to know which is best, so please stop teasing him.

- Anyway, the answer is obviously 'start with drums'.

OK, now we can move on.
Start with whatever you like. There is no right answer...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

you may find this helpful
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #31
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I start with whatever feels good. Sometimes it's a melody, other times just a riff, other times the drums. But I must say it's rather fun to start with a riff because if the riff is really cool and fits the synths well, then everything else starts to fall into place. Starting with drums can be nice too, but then later on I usually fully or partially scrap them and end up with something different. But that can be fun too!

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #32
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

99% of the time I start with melodies, and I usually don't even bother with sound design at first. I start making chords, melodies, bass etc on a bunch of default sine wave patches, and change them to something more interesting after A. I get a cool idea or B. The piles of sines start to hurt my ears
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
relic (07-02-2014)
Old 13-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #33
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

A lot of electronic music (especially things that could be classified as Dance Music) are rhythmically drive. Thus, writing rhythm parts first makes sense.

But that shit gets boring.

Write with your intuition, guided by your inspiration. As others said, their is no right answer. In fact I would consider any answer to the "which is BETTER to start with" would be the wrong answer.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
DeejayVex
Learning The Ropes
DeejayVex is currently spamming hard

Yeah it all doesn't seem to matter. I've thought about this approach a lot and I try to do both ways to create inspiration. Avicii seems to like drawing out his melodies first while I've heard some guys like Wolfgang Gartner like to always start with the drum beat first.
DeejayVex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
chiptraxxx
Radial Developer
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I mostly start with a straight boring a bassline or a powechord (most often a sharp) on the guitar. Trying to do othervise as often as possible. Do different every time but allways high on caffeine

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #36
keith909
Minor Glitch
keith909 will become famous soon enoughkeith909 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I usually write melodic music and therefore I tend to start with melody and chords (or just root note) on a simple patch like a piano or simple sine wave.

But before lone I'd start laying a kick snare and away I go...

I guess you start with what you think you need to start with.
keith909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #37
davidgericke
Granular Poster
davidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I usually write the melody first, just put a 4/4 kick drum loop in the background for timing.
davidgericke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #38
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820

I always start with a kick, then the bass, then the rest of the drums, synths, misc percussion and so on fall into place as I go. But for me and what I'm trying to sculpt is more hard, beat driven music with most of the melodic elements interactive with the kick, bass and harder drum/perc elements.

But as stated above many times, there is no right way... But there is a million trillion, wrong ways
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #39
Scottnofx142
Analog Lurker
Scottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MCScottnofx142 is a savage MC
Santa Barbara, CA
MC Status: 20225

I tend to prefer to this method because my melodies end up being more complex and sometimes I end up in interesting key signatures that I wouldn't normally use. When I compose using drums first, my melodies tend to become much more simple, and limited. Sometimes that's exactly what I want, but when I'm shooting for complexity, I definitely start with the melody.

Advertisements

------------------
Scottnofx142 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote