Whats your favorite chord or scale?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
M.D.M.
Minor Glitch
M.D.M. will become famous soon enoughM.D.M. will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Whats your favorite chord or scale?

Everyone either uses or has used major 7th chord progressions at some point in their career. Pharrell says himself that he loves chords and his favorite are major 7th's. However I personally think that Mr. P uses the E major 7th a bit too much.

I personally can't say much however cause most of my tracks are E minor 7th. Anyone else particularly partial to a specific chord?

Advertisements

M.D.M. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: One- SHM (ft. Pharrell)
Old 29-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379
Re: Whats your favorite chord or scale?

Major 7th is a wonderful chord. With the 9th extension it is just lovely, floaty.

I don't have a favorite anymore but once upon a time it was a rootless Cm7 voiced as (on a keyboard)
RH: G Bb D F
LH: Eb G Bb D

for 4 years it was probably the first thing I hit after sitting down at a piano

since I would be practicing 2-5-1's and start with Bb major

Lately I've been in a band with 2 guitars so I've been mashing a lot of E7#9
RH: G# D G
LH: E B E
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Demephitize
Granular Poster
Demephitize will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati
MC Status: 60

Favorite scale of all time... This has always been a tough one for me, but I fell in love with G harmonic minor.

Especially this progression: Cmin7 D7 Ebmaj7 F#dim7

Just the sound of going from dominant to major to diminished is enough to give one goosebumps.

great stuff!
Demephitize is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
Major 7th is a wonderful chord. With the 9th extension it is just lovely, floaty.

I don't have a favorite anymore but once upon a time it was a rootless Cm7 voiced as (on a keyboard)
RH: G Bb D F
LH: Eb G Bb D

for 4 years it was probably the first thing I hit after sitting down at a piano

since I would be practicing 2-5-1's and start with Bb major

Lately I've been in a band with 2 guitars so I've been mashing a lot of E7#9
RH: G# D G
LH: E B E
If you voice that first chord, the rootless Cmin7 with that voicing, it would be a Cmin11. Also, since it is rootless and you have an established tertian stack starting from Eb, it really and sounds way more like Ebmaj9.

just a nitpick.
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Zack Williams
Granular Poster
Zack Williams will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

D mixolydian.
Zack Williams is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Bruto Bello
Regular Freak
Bruto Bello will become famous soon enoughBruto Bello will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

When I sit at a piano I can't help but jam in C Aeolian. It's like a compulsion and I am trying to stop.
That said, I have been really digging on melodic minor and all the chords within that scale, everything is so Bernard Herrmann like.
Bruto Bello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269461958
Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,840 Posts

This thread makes me feel really ignorant...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Deep Dose (03-11-2013)
Old 23-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
frankie5fingers
Sample Destroyer
frankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond reputefrankie5fingers has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio
MC Status: 3410

I really love 13th chords. they just sound amazing to me.

------------------
frankie5fingers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
XMtS
Regular Freak
XMtS has a spectacular aura aboutXMtS has a spectacular aura about
California
MC Status: 160

I like B Aeolian a lot, sometimes I'll flat the C# in it so the F# is the only sharp. And I know it's kinda lame but I really like perfect fifths.
XMtS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton
MC Status: 9110

Well, since you asked, I'd have to go with F#min13 voiced in a Cbmin8 played in a A#dim pentatonic melodic monotonic harmony scale.
ajdangles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
This thread makes me feel really ignorant...
Heh, I am only barely keeping up. Mostly due to that intentionally convoluted last post.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942681
Thanked 5,690 Times in 3,584 Posts

D minor, such a sad key.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisENIGMA View Post
If you voice that first chord, the rootless Cmin7 with that voicing, it would be a Cmin11. Also, since it is rootless and you have an established tertian stack starting from Eb, it really and sounds way more like Ebmaj9.

just a nitpick.
Yes, not to confuse anyone, it is the notes of Eb major. In the context of a 2-5-1 in Bb, it is not fulfilling the role of an Eb chord, as the next chord of F would be voiced similarly rootless
i.e.
RH: Gb A C Eb
LH: Eb G A D

I don't know much about the history of naming chords but the jazz folks I play/played with have typically added extensions at will, so I got used to seeing something like "Cm7 - F7 - Bb" as being played with the voicing above and still calling them Cm7

My take is that anything with a minor 7th in it regardless of extensions you could call "m7" although I have seen things like Cm7 (11) where the 11 often references the melody note, also much more rarely see things like Cm7(11, 13), it gets to be just user preference if you ask me

That being said the above voicing of the F chord would be more like an F7 or F7b9 or F7b9 13 etc.

alas!

cheers

Last edited by frajen; 25-07-2013 at 05:46 PM..
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruto Bello View Post
When I sit at a piano I can't help but jam in C Aeolian. It's like a compulsion and I am trying to stop.
Same here.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

I like Em 9th

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Pretty much every single track and album I write/record.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
palmerlake
Regular Freak
palmerlake has a spectacular aura aboutpalmerlake has a spectacular aura about
South Coast
MC Status: 160

I only started learning theory a couple of years ago. So far my favourite is D# Locrian, diminished triad on the tonic. Sounds all "outer-space" and a bit medieval at the same time. Strange but great.
palmerlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Skippit
Granular Poster
Skippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud ofSkippit has much to be proud of
Portsmouth
MC Status: 1210

Bb minor. Simply because i get to stick to mostly black keys it makes life easy
Skippit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269461958
Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,840 Posts

I just discovered Fsharp minor, with a dimished 5th (I think, or maybe augmented 4th), It sounds heavy, really heavy.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
KenRS
Regular Freak
KenRS is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

G#m 9th

I really like the 7th degree of the minors scales too (not the sensible).

Sorry for my bad english terms on music, I'm French.

Advertisements

KenRS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote