Producing Trance.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Producing Trance.

I always saw myself as a trance producer, problem is I cant come up with an original melody. It always sounds like part some song I have heard over and over again. I tend to wear all my influences on my sleeve. I also sidechain almost everything. (I love big anthem sounding tracks).

My biggest influence now for some reason is BT, and surprisingly Deadmau5 and trent reznor.

Advertisements

RaymondLeggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 153160
Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,841 Posts
Re: Producing Trance.

The big anthem stuff you seem to go for all sounds the same.

Thats why. I can't see how you will reconcile originality and making "anthem" tracks that are sacks of clichés.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondLeggs View Post
I always saw myself as a trance producer, problem is I cant come up with an original melody. It always sounds like part some song I have heard over and over again. I tend to wear all my influences on my sleeve. I also sidechain almost everything. (I love big anthem sounding tracks).

My biggest influence now for some reason is BT, and surprisingly Deadmau5 and trent reznor.
Not that you haven't thought of this, but you could always try some experimental trance (if that doesn't already exist, you could be the fames). Do some weird chord progressions and odd time signatures to spice it up!
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

When I get in the mood to make trance I just kind of accept that it's going to sound like 5000 other trance tracks. If you want to sound different you're gonna have to wander outside of the usual "epic arps and chord stabs in a minor key" trope. (Try the whole tone scale, it's rad)
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
Kvlt O))) (28-08-2014)
Old 29-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice

I admit I am trying to produce trance-pop
Old 29-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
I admit I am trying to produce trance-pop
Even in regular pop music there is influence from all over the place. You should try listening to a lot of world music, jazz, and especially classical music.

I think a lot of earlier anthemic trance borrowed melodic ideas and composition from classical symphony.

Stop listening to the same old stuff and I bet your ears will open up.

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Everything's been borrowed from classical. It's just easier than ever (now) to cut out the complexity, emotion and 'boring parts' to enhance your fanbase.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
relic (30-08-2014)
Old 30-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
I tend to wear all my influences on my sleeve.
If those are your influences, then maybe you shouldn't feel so bad about being derivative

Here are some songs that predated NIN's debut album, Pretty Hate Machine

Down In It directly ripped off Skinny Puppy's Dig It:

NIN's early sound in general was largely borrowed from Cabaret Voltaire:

and the opening to Something I Can Never Have was taken from this Swans track:

A Warm Place directly rips off Bowie's Crystal Japan:

Trent recently formed a band with his wife, the name for that band was also borrowed from another artist:

So stop worrying about it and just make music, you'll probably find your own sound eventually!

Last edited by penguinoid; 31-08-2014 at 02:21 AM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #9
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker

I am also influnced by 80's styled stuff too, especially italo disco and new wave stuff.

Advertisements