Confusion on tuning
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Ocelaught
Minor Glitch
Ocelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura about
U.S.A
MC Status: 210
Confusion on tuning

Lets Say I a sylenth patch and every thing is tuned up 20 cents So when ever i hit a note its 20 cents above the exact 0 cent tuning, is this ok? and is this some kind of playing style

Advertisements

Ocelaught is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Confusion on tuning

It's the playing style of "20 cents off", if the rest is tuned.

Let's say you recorded an analog synth to some drums, and the synth happened to be +20 cents off, then that +20 cents off Sylenth1 patch will sound great along with the analog synth.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Ocelaught
Minor Glitch
Ocelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura aboutOcelaught has a spectacular aura about
U.S.A
MC Status: 210

Your the first in long line of forum viewing that actually made sense
Ocelaught is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaught View Post
You're the first in long line of forum viewing that actually made sense
Ok. I guess I'm smarter, or more helpful, than the others in line. It's not rocket scence though, so I think the latter.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684405

Tuning is something I struggle with. If I have one tip (something I now tell myself when I start each track) its to make the bass your anchor. As in, make damn sure that its in tune, that way you will have far less trouble making everything else that follows work. You can trust your ears, but sometimes even then you will be left tuning every element cent by cent trying to find the problem that you know.....you think.....you aren't sure is there.
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

It will make the sound phase with the other sounds, which might sound cool or might sound horribad, it depends, but 20 cents is enough to hear it right away.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
FOI
Granular Poster
FOI is a glorious beacon of lightFOI is a glorious beacon of lightFOI is a glorious beacon of lightFOI is a glorious beacon of lightFOI is a glorious beacon of light
Up North
MC Status: 460

What Evelon says and if it doesn't sound great lower the 20 cents.

Advertisements

------------------

Flames of Industry
SoundCloud - BandCamp
FOI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote